Maverick

Show Reviews (7)

Great

Changed television forever

By satlov, Feb 22, 2009

I was 11 when the series began. So prime time in making an impression on me. I liked westerns plenty. Maverick was a cut above the rest but I didn't appreciate how much better until American Life (Free-To-Air on C-Band) replayed the series on Thursdays some years ago. Now that they're on Encore Westerns weekdays, in morning singles and evening pairs, I get a quicker overview. I can barely watch the other Warner Brothers series because they seem staid, self-important. Maverick had an ironic perspective that remains fresh.

Unlike many other fans I have equal respect for all the seasons. For me the scripts kept to a high standard. I share the view of some that Jack Kelly was an under-appreciated talent. He steered the storylines admirably and with personality. It's a kick to see Roger Moore in his pre-Bond days. His Maverick was like his Bond, a diluted version of the archetype but comfortably watchable.

The slew of recurring characters (Dandy Jim, Gentleman Jack, etc.) offered a cohesion that extended the family. WB also lavished care on the series by bringing in new talent to fill bit parts. Many of these starters had durable careers subsequently. One of the kicks is spotting them and tracking their growths.

As its current TV.com editor wrote me: "People will relate to this show when cars fly." No doubt.moreless

A classy western classic, well ahead of its time ...

By DBizTV, Aug 19, 2008

Thanks to Encore's Western Chanel, Maverick rides again! And yes, the episodes appear to be both uncut and commercial free - running in order according to TV.Com's episode guide. As of Tuesday, Aug. 19th : the AM showing is episode #13 from Season 1, and the PM showing is episode 32 from Season 2.

Maverick was ahead of its time in that the brothers used wit and intelligence to handle the strange situations that they found themselves in week after week. They could ride and shoot and there was often plenty of action, but their pappy didn't raise no foolish children, these boys used their big muscle. They were gamblers and con men, and yet honest and trustworthy - both heroes and anti-heroes, well-before that was considered the cool, 'in' thing.

Standards were kept high for the writers, the stars and the first rate guest stars that appeared week after week. Unfortunately, as Mad_Buck pointed out in his review, things went downhill a bit once James Garner left the show to concentrate on movies, but it was great fun while it lasted - especially when brothers Bret and Bart were both in the same wild episode.

This is great stuff, whether you're from the 1950's or not. Although I'm not a fan of b&w or mono sound, this show (with all three brothers : James Garner, Jack Kelly and Roger Moore) is a well-written, high quality classic. Enjoy, Pardnermoreless

James Garner James Arness

Ken Curtis

Milburn Stone

Gene Barry

By dishman777, Jul 29, 2008

We need Westerns on TV Today. They showed young children a little about the Old West, and that the Bad Man always came out on the short end of the stick.

James Garner and James Arness were 2 of the Greatest TV Stars and John Wayne was truly the Best in Movies.

Back then, the story lines had Real Plots and very Very Interesting to watch. I still watch the Reruns of these shows, including Bat Masterson.

I GREATLY MISS the Westerns, and I think that Gunsmoke and Maverick were truly the Best on Television. That is just as True Today as it was in the 1950's and Early 1960's.moreless

This was a classic TV Western drama.

By vicmackey31, Apr 13, 2006

James Garner was perfect as Bret Maverick.

Maverick was and is one of the best westerns to ever appear on television. Even beyond that, it is one of the better shows on television period. The writing was so good that it still holds up to today's standards. The regular cast was outstanding. The guest starts were absolutely fantastic. In this time period of television many famous actors would make appearances on great television shows such as this. Then there were the up and coming actors that would go on to become huge stars and used this as a springboard of sorts. All in all a great show that can still be watched today without missing a beat.moreless

Best Western on TV.

By mahrnee, Sep 30, 2005

I would have to say that Maverick was one of the best westerns on TV. I know that most would disagree with me and defer to Gunsmoke. But I think that for me it was about the humor that Bret had. His devil take care attitude. He always was fun to watch. Even the remake of the 1980's was fun to watch. I alway kinda had a crush on James Garner after that show. I know that most of my watching was in reruns. I only gave it 9.8 because I believe that nothing is perfect. And one of the bad things about this show was the changing of characters at the end of the series. Don't get me wrong I had no problem with Bret and Bart. It was when they started to bring in all the others.moreless

Classic Western

By Mad_Buck, Aug 26, 2005

Maverick was a classic Western series that did things a little differently than most. It incorporated humor and parody into its storylines. This humor took what was a fairly routine show and turned it into a classic. James Garner starred as Bart Maverick, a card shark who would rather run than fight. Jack Kelly lent excellent support as brother Bart who was built along the same lines. Storylines parodied such shows as Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and Dragnet. Maverick was unique for its time and hasn't been successfully duplicated since.

Sadly, the show didn't last as long as it should have. Star James Garner wanted out of the series to make feature films. He walked off the Warner Brothers lot after the show's third season and sued to get out of his contract. Garner never appeared in the series again and was replaced by Roger Moore whose efforts were a bit more pedestrian. Moore left after one season and Kelly carried on the best he could for the Maverick's fifth and final year on the air but things weren't the same. Maverick breathed its last in the spring of 1962 going to that great poker game in the sky.moreless