Midsomer Murders

Show Reviews (24)

Great

I can't be the only one who has noticed this!

By emmaoncoffee, Sep 06, 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the actor playing DCI JOHN Barnaby in the later episodes, is the same guy who plays Daniel (the lecherous gardener) in Garden of Death in the earlier episodes with Tom? Not that I mind, I like the actor in question, it was just jarring to see him as a moon-shining perv :P

I love this show!

By figtoria, Jul 26, 2014

Midsomer Murders does cozy mysteries right. Mystery, humour, characters that you love. I hope it goes on forever. But, I'm glad I don't live in Midsomer. :)

Best Show Ever!!

By suzzzi, Mar 23, 2014

I love watching this show, can't get enough of it!

Tired of the Ridicule!

By farquart, May 02, 2013

Although I enjoy Midsomer Murders, I must admit I'm tired of the constant ridicule to all things supernatural, spiritual and religious, not to mention anything that's outside of the mainstream dull box of reality, such as eating healthy, natural healing (including herbology), or any belief system that is not part of the mass, acceptable theme. I get the impression it's written by very conservative, fearful (of anything 'different') people. Too bad really, makes me want to stop watching it. Try coming up with a different approach for once, please!. A little more open-mindedness, and respect for other people's lifestyles/beliefs, would be much appreciated.moreless

I'm Asian, my English is terriible and i LIKE this show!!!

By hisatog4, Mar 05, 2013

Sometimes i don't even understand the words that were coming out of their mouths, but man this is sure one of the most addictive crime solving tv series out there.

The main character Barnaby is just too cool. the plot is simply good. there are times when they revealed the motive of murder(s), i actually thought like " She's your mother, but she deserved that".

But it 's been years since i watched it since they took it out of Hallmark channel. and now there is no more Hall mark in my country, i doubt i could ever watch it again. i can't even find the DVD here. So sad.

PS : i really like the starting music/soundtrack ( or whatever they call it) at the start of the show. So mysterious and creepy.moreless

Midsomer... beautiful but dangerous.

By Abhorsen_91, Apr 23, 2009

Midsomer Murders is a great show, simple but fun. All of the scenery, lovely little villages and forests are just fantastic. Out of all of Tom Barnaby's sidekicks my favourite has to be Troy, who I think stands out compared to all of the others. I especially liked the earlier episodes of Midsomer Murders as I thought they were more intriguing and interesting in my opinion, but not by much of a margin as they are still very good. The thing I find really funny about the show is that by going by the number of murders in Midsomer, there practically shouldn't be any people left in the whole place.

This is a fantastic show, which is very enjoyable to watch.moreless

Midsomer Murders is a popular British television drama series about murders that take place in the fictional English county of Midsomer. It is based on a series of crime novels by the author Caroline Graham and was originally adapted by Anthony Horowitz.

By kotsu1, May 18, 2008

A detective drama, it focuses on the main character of Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby, played by actor John Nettles (of Bergerac fame) and his efforts to solve the various crimes that afflict Midsomer.

Style

The programme possesses a unique style. It is almost entirely set within the closed, backwards-looking fictional English county of Midsomer. Midsomer is a world whose inhabitants are wealthy, amoral and snobbish eccentrics, often obsessed with the small lives they lead in these isolated communities. This provides for friction between them, which is observed with a self-mocking, sardonic humour.

The show often highlights the fa?║ade put up by people. To the eye, Midsomer is a picturesque, peaceful and prosperous county, but behind the well-trimmed hedgerows and cricket on the village green is a society brimming with all kinds of vice. Barnaby, by contrast, offers a stable homelife and an exceptional morality.

Each story is built up carefully, with underpinning currents and unsolved mysteries adding to the bemusement of the detectives. There are usually false leads, such as those who have committed petty crimes, or harbour some dark secret that they attempt to conceal from the world. Despite the sinister, atmospheric edge that runs through the show, it maintains a constant humour.

One feature of the programme is the large number of deaths, especially considering that Midsomer is a small, rural county. Because of the bizarre nature of the place, this does not seem entirely improbable. The show at times even plays on this lack of realism, with characters often commenting on the astoundingly high numbers of deaths. For example, when he is called to a murder scene on his first day, Detective Sergeant Dan Scott asks, "Is the body count always this high around here?". Barnaby replies dryly, "It's been remarked upon."

Production

First transmitted in the United Kingdom in March 1997, filming is currently underway on the eleventh series of the programme, which will bring the total number of episodes to sixty-six, and a twelfth series commissioned to be filmed in 2008. Viewing figures for the series are healthy, and the feature-length drama attracts a number of actors from the stage and screen in guest-starring roles. The majority of the early episodes were written by Anthony Horowitz, who, with the original producers Betty Willingale and Brian True-May, also created the series. Current writers include Peter J. Hammond, David Hoskins, Douglas Watkinson and Andrew Payne.moreless

Midsomer is a lively, classic English countryside; the grass is green, the air is sweet and the body count just goes up and up...

By bookwench, Jan 31, 2008

I love this show. From first episode to last, I truly love it. It's wholesome, sweet, and chock full of nuts. John Nettles is a wonderful actor; he pulls off the character over and over with terrific energy and good humour. Plus he's sort of, well, I think he's a very good-looking man. But that could just be me, ya know? Basically it's an English cosy mystery series, where the murders take place in a series of fictional towns in a fictional county called Modsomer. I'm mostly putting this in here to make up the word count; it's a very basic premise oft repeated, and if you like the type you'll like this and if you're not a fan of Brit mysteries you'll find it pointless. It's a well-told tale, every time.moreless

A light-hearted crime investigation series worth getting comfortable for. It is not fast-paced, but rather relaxing and enjoyable.

By Frisbee21, Jan 14, 2008

A delightfully gripping get-comfortable-on-the-sofa-with-a-blanket crime drama. Generally light-hearted with a touch of curiously grisly murder to boot. Inspector Barnaby is always on top of his game, with an uncanny ability to solve the crime in a logical and calculated manner. The plots and story lines are fresh and well put together, unpredictable, and quirky; with an emphasis on always keeping you guessing. Well filmed and produced with a very good attention to detail. Some episodes could possibly fit into an hour time-slot, but the full hour and a half is never tedious or boring. It is not fast paced, but certainly entertaining!moreless

Load More Reviews