Chirp

By modernfamily120, Mar 24, 2012

A lot of funny moments.

Claire and Hailey are sick; Phil Struggles and Lilly is in a commercial

By Lostindharma, Mar 06, 2012

After a solid series episodes, this one was a drop off. Was it bad? No not at all. It's not just that something was lacking. The one bad part was Cameron and Mitchell's part. I did enjoy Cameron getting all diva-ey but other then that, I felt that this could've been done better. Phil has always tried to be positive even under tough circumstances but this time it was tested. I am glad to see Claire cheering him up. Speaking of Claire, I also her storyline with Hailey. Hailey has always been too embarrassed by her parents. Even though she was misguided, I was glad to see that she wants her parents to stay together. Another good part was the story with Jay and Manny. While they don't have a bad relationship it's not great either. This episode is a major step toward that. Overall this episode was good, just not as good as the other ones.moreless

By thefanof, Apr 03, 2011

Modern Family had a few standout episodes in its first season, but the majority of them were good for a few laughs and really nothing else; this felt like one of those season one episodes. The Claire and Haley were ever so boring and find it funny that a show called Modern Family could be so cliched.

Speaking of cliched, Lily shooting a commercial? That's never been done on a sitcom before. At least make it funny if you are going to rehash something done to death like the kid going on a commercial.

I think they should change the name of this show to Cliched Family.moreless

Claire tries to insinuate Haley should breakup with Dylan... but she thinks she's talking about her & Phil.

By doguineta, Jan 24, 2011

Okay, so yeah.

Mitchell-Cam storyline: So Mitchell forbids Cam to make Lilly participate on a commerical, but he sneaks behind his back and dioes so anyways. Turns out the commerical was a japanese stereotype about 2 babies in japan and Savezilla destorying high prices, and the plot ends with Cam making up his mind and taking Lilly away cause she is not japanese, she is vietnamese and there is a BIG difference (Um, Cam, that's the wrong baby...)

Jay-Manny: so Gloria & Manny visit Jay at work, where Jack let's Manny use a machine, which he crahes into a wall and injures himself. Jay fires Jack. Also today is Gloria & Jay's annviersary (she has one for everything) and Jay doens't remember what, but Manny does. Manny says he'll tell him if he rehires Jack, & Jay tells him he won't cause he hurt "his kid". MAnny is touched upon hearing Jay considers him his son and tells him it's their first kiss at the pier.

Dunphys: Claire is at home with a cold and Phil takes the day off to do the stuff claire had to do. But he can't get where the chirping sound is comming from. He thinks it's from the smoke detectors so he starts destorying them all, but then he remembers it's the old ones Luke should have thrown away. Also Haley & Claire where at home cause both are sick, and Clarie insinuates that she should break up with Dylan, but she understand it's her saying she'll break up with her dad. Overall: Great episode. All plots (except Cam's) were great & Manny's had heart. 9/10.moreless

Phil can't find where the chirping noise is coming from in his house and Jay struggles to prepare for an anniversary with Gloria

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Jan 03, 2011

Besides a select few people that I know, people seem to really enjoy Modern Family, even if it sometimes comes across as cliche and goes for the easy laughs when it has proven to be a clever show that is willing to build up to a great pay-off. I haven't been blown away by the second season, but that doesn't mean it's not entertaining. I thought the first season was nearly perfect in its execution, but the second season has gone for more broad humor, forgetting about its usual sense of humor. However, this episode represented, at least for me, a blending of broad humor and the clever "Arrested Development" type humor that people used to claim it had.

The best part of the episode was definitely the one with Phil. Phil was trying to find the chirping noise that a smoke detector was making and he couldn't find it. In his head, the chirping noise was equated to a voice telling him "you're not a man." What we get here is an Arrested Development type of gag: every time that Phil says or does something feminine, the chirp noise appears. My favorite is by far the one where Phil says "I burnt my ladyfingers," followed by a taunting chirp. It was just a well-done plot.

The Cam and Mitch plots haven't been doing much for me lately, and this one is the same. It's strange, random and despite a great pay-off, I wasn't a huge fan. Same goes for the Jay and Manny plot. It was touching in the end, and Modern Family can usually pull those plots off pretty well, but it just felt like same old/same old.

Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the season though, mainly because of the Dunphy family.moreless