Pilot

Fair
6.8

What??

By srkluber, Apr 14, 2014

It won't let me play the episode. I click the play button, right?

About this episode

By JordanWelch, Feb 10, 2013

This had great written and editing.

The Amazing Pilot Episode

By modernfamily120, Jan 31, 2012

At the begining of this episode, you are introduced to the characters (except for Luke) and you get a huge part of the personalities of Haley, Gloria, Cam, and Mitchell and you get to know Phil, Claire, Alex, and Jay as well. After that, we see a lot of humor as Luke's head is pulled out of the banister, Manny reads the poem to the girl, we meet Dylan, we see the gay picture in Lily's room, Mitchell critisises names like Andre, and Phil shoots Luke and Dylan. Then there is a sweet ending where the family meets Lily and then more humor as Jay reads the poem Manny had written and then laughs "I mean, seriously?"

I believe this pilot episode was very well written.moreless

The pilot

By thefanof, Dec 06, 2011

It is hard to create a good pilot because you essentially have to do two things: you have to introduce America to these new characters and you have to create an episode that is so funny and memorable that it gets viewers to come back. This episode did introduce us to the characters, but I would not exactly call it funny and memorable. Ths scenes and jokes were very predictable and not exactly groundbreaking.

Modern Family is a nice throwback to the family comedies of the 80's and 90's, minus the laughtrack, and thankfully the show gets better after this episode.moreless

The Pilot

By Lostindharma, Dec 06, 2011

This was a great start to a great and original show. I got into this show because of my brother. This show like Friends doesn't have one or two main characters. While the kids are secondary characters, they are very important to the show. While seeing the at the start and at the end may seem like your typical 80's family show it is far from it. All three families are structured but not perfect but also not considered "dysfunctional" (see Married with Children Roseanne). While Ed O Neil is probably well known character on this show it doesn't center around him nor is having to pick up any slack from the other characters. All the roles are perfectly suited. Alex reminds me of Lisa Simpson if she were older and human. Phil reminds of Michael Scott if he were a dad. Jay is sort of like Al Bundy if he had a successful career after high school. Claire (who I enjoyed from Lost) plays the role of being the mother so well. Mitchell is flamboyant but not over the top. Cameron is a little stuck up but it gets balanced with his partner. Gloria is a hot head but it plays well. The relationship of Gloria and Phil is not one of Gloria trying to marry an older for his money nor is it a older man trying to recapture his youth. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you. I hope this show continues on for many years.moreless

Disappointing. The funniest moments were in the previews.

By Reid_Fleming, Dec 06, 2011

I was incredibly disappointed with this show. I've long been a fan of both Ed O'Neil and Julie Bowen and, sadly, their talents are wasted on this cliche-ridden drivel. The guy who plays Bowen's husband is not a good actor and his lines are NOT funny. The gay couple had a couple of funny lines, but their whole situation (at this point anyway) is a tired cliche that's been seen before. The lady who plays Ed O'Neil's wife is hot, but she cannot act. My wife and I were really looking forward to seeing this new show and she didn't even make it half way through before losing interest. I watched through to the end hoping it would get better, but it didn't. It's half an hour of my life I'll never get back. I give this show until February- tops!moreless

Glad to be a part of this family...

By mackymacaspac, Oct 29, 2011

What's It About?: It's about three unique families: a couple that's been married for 16 years and has three adolescent kids, a 50-something guy recently married to a much younger Hispanic woman who has an 11-year old son, and a gay couple who just adopted a baby.

Even with a limited time (20+ mins) and 11 principal cast members, they did extremely well with fleshing out most of the characters, for a pilot episode. Phil (Ty Burrell) as the "cool dad" is my favorite character so far. Julie Bowen, who plays his wife, is hot even without trying. Gay couple Cameron and Mitchell provide the biggest laughs. Manny is a teddy bear! You just want to hug him. And his letter in the end was so sweet and sincere, even for an 11-year old. I also loved that Lion King-ish scene.

Verdict: It's the best new comedy for me this fall. This is definitely one I can recommend to most as a must-see comedy.moreless

Series Premiere

By TvFreak7, Nov 19, 2010

I've seen this pilot three times. Once online before it aired, the first time it aired, and the following day when ABC showed an encore. I thought this was an exceptionally great pilot and this is coming from someone who hates documentary shows like The Office, etc. I thought this pilot was really funny. And whats great about it was that it something everyone can relate to. The funniest parts were when the Dad was shooting the son, then shot himself, and his daughters guy friend. lol. And Gloria is great. I admit there were some stupid parts. But overall I liked the pilot.

Modern Family is about three different kinds of families. A newlywed couple consisting of an old guy and his young new wife and her son. A gay couple and a baby they just adopted. And the traditional family, two regular parents and two kids. And to top it off: They are all related.

Looking forward to future episodes, hopefully they keep me entertained like this episode did.moreless

Great Show. Its like Arrested Development, but the characters are likable.

By addicted4444, Nov 19, 2010

Really funny show. Great humor, with a combination of slapstick and subtle. It truly reminds me of arrested development, with 1 significant difference. The characters are far more relatable, so this might actually be successful.

"Please tell your friends to watch this show" The three families all have extremely different characteristics to them, which gives the writers a lot of leeway to keep things fresh. Also, "The Office" mockumentary style works really well here. The acting by everyone was pretty solid including the kids in the show.

Hopefully it will continue with the quality, and the directors won't let their standards dip.moreless

Load More Reviews