Modern Family

Show Reviews (124)

Great

Watching the decline of values and standards, in both sitcoms and real life

By Ceruleanveritas, Apr 30, 2015

I don't watch Family Guy or any other shows that I perceive as being, "gutter humor" comedies, but I have watched many episodes of Modern Family and just do not understand its great popularity and success.

Many people are going to disagree with me and maybe even hate me for saying this, but I've been looking for a place to say this because for some reason it has just become my pet peeve lately, even though I have not watched the show for a while.

To me Modern Family is not only not funny, it's actually detached, off-putting and cold in the way the jokes are presented, simply as one-line zingers, but even more so in how the characters relate to one another.

I'm guessing the show is supposed to represent that this diverse, variegated group of people makes up the new, "modern" family unit, and maybe it simply reflects society and it's decline, but to me it is really sad, there is so little intimacy, no warmth or connection between people.

Maybe I'm comparing it by unrealistic standards, I know every family is not "Full House," the Brady Bunch or that old sitcom I cannot remember the name of, but they all say goodnight to each other, but to me, this show just doesn't have any heart or soul; it is all cerebral with zingy one-liners, but no depth.

BTW, FWIW, I'm saying this as someone who came from a very dysfunctional, impoverished family closer to that of Roseanne than any other I have seen on television.

Also, and this is where I'm going to say the controversial un PC stuff, but I saw the pictures of Ms. Vergara when she was a working Supermodel, and she was quite voluptuous and striking, beautiful; but now she looks old. I wouldn't say she's ugly, she is not, but she's not a bombshell knockout who I'd tune in to watch on a weekly basis. And frankly, all the other people are really not that attractive. Ed o' Neill, not much to say there, he's not exactly a looker, even back in his Married with Children days, Julie Bowen has gotten older and looks it, like Amanda Bynes said, Sarah Hyland is really, well I'll leave it for you to complete, but it's not beautiful, Ariel Winter is an attractive nerd, but I wouldn't call her especially beautiful, same could be said for Nolan Gould, especially in recent seasons after he's aged. I have heard he is really smart though. I think Rico Rodriguez is the best looking on the show, but in most of the episodes I watched he had pretty small roles. Eric Stonestreet is okay as is the other guy, unfortunately I cannot remember his name and don't care enough to look it up. Oh.... I almost forgot Ty Burrell, I think in some ways he's my favorite character and I do consider him to be relatively attractive, but being a straight guy I'm not going to tune in just to watch him. All I'm saying is that the cast is not all that great to look at. And for those of you saying so what, it matters. Most of the people on television are supposedly of above average physical attractiveness, that 's a big part of why people watch.

Mad Men, another controversial show with mixed opinions, most extreme, you either love it or hate it, but that cast is chock full of beautiful people, starting with Jon Hamm, to January Jones, Christina Hendriks, even John Slattery is a good looking guy, even if he's not comfortable being a sex symbol. Kiernan Shipka and many of the other characters as well are very nice to look at. I won't say anything about Peggy Olsen.

So between the unfunny jokes, the cold, lifeless characters and the way they relate to each other, as well as the not particularly attractive cast, what is so damn great about this show Modern Family?

I suppose the answer is that other people, probably most, don't see it the way I do, agree with my opinion/assessment, and that is definitely their right, but all I've said are things I clearly witness in every episode.

I just find it sad, watching the decline of our society(morals, mores, values and standards) happening daily before our very eyes, and so many of us don't even realize it, they think it is normal and great, like texting to each other when they are sitting right next to each other.

It is horrible how technology, all the innovations that are said to bring us closer together are really distancing us from one another. It's simply tragic how technology is destroying human society(look up what that word means, society) devaluing life, and diminishing/depressing our interactions, how we relate to each other.

moreless

New Fan

By esthermiller01, Apr 19, 2015

I have now watched seven episodes of the first season. All I can say is that this show is fantastic! I am not one for sitcoms, but this is no ordinary sitcom! I absolutely love what they are so far, and really hope that they continue down this path because it is money!

Overrated

By Dianelayman, Apr 18, 2015

Agree, it's OK. Has some great moments but not my favorite show. Not consistently entertaining.

Originally, it is a French TV series

By Chamberlain-75-Paris, Mar 26, 2015

The TV series "modern family" broadcast from September 23, 2009 on ABC, is an American adaptation of "Fais pas i, fais pas a " (literally: Don't do this, don't do that) created since September 8, 2007 for the French television (France 2).

In 2008, ABC has bought an option to adapt the concept to the American continent. The project, entitled Don't do this, don't do that, is canceled.

However, in 2009, ABC broadcasts Modern Family, a series that keeps many similarities with the French series (several families followed as a mockumentary). Similarities of the suspected plagiarism.

To date, the rights for an American adaptation are still available. For proof, in 2012, the production announced it has been approached by CBS for adaptation.

In addition, the series has been exported to many European countries and China. Polish producers have also adapted.

It's really strange that no one alluded to in that forum.

At the beginning of the first season, the French series is built like a TV show parody, documentary boundary and the "reality show" with their family life type respectively applying different methods of education, and to show its effects on children. In the first episode, the parents come and expose why they accept this experience.

I imagine the scenario recall you something?moreless

Binge Watched this show

By HannahTorres, Mar 14, 2015

I really find the episodes very funny. I love all of them. They make my day and I really want to meet them personally someday.

Fake, plastic and boring

By chaos2srt, Mar 06, 2015

I hate this show. I miss The Big Bang theory. The only reason why I watch it for minutes it is because is before American Family.

I Love this show

By Swiftie132002, Feb 21, 2015

It is a amazing and funny show

I have no problem with the show, really.

By bautistakenrick856, Jan 24, 2015

Even though this show is one of the most popular, at LEAST it's not half as stupid as The Big Bang Theory. I don't hate the series, I just hate how it's gonna be a (negative) influence for aspiring television writers. It already has shows that were influenced by this show: The Middle and Black-ish. But I like The Middle better. This show, eh... not one of my favorites really, but I'm gonna give this show a 5.0 out of 10.moreless

love it

By daprincessbrat27, Dec 21, 2014

Great show great actors

Not sure why individual episodes are rated so low.

By JayMahendru, Dec 10, 2014

I find this show to be pretty funny and original. It's one of the only shows I've kept on watching even after so many seasons. The ratings for each individual episode seem to be between 5 and 7 but they definitely deserve more, at least in my opinion.

Load More Reviews