The Monkees

Show Reviews (18)

Great

Absolutley Brilliant

By SFBarbear, Oct 18, 2012

I recently watched this entire show from first to last episode. After all these years I can still see why it was such a huge hit in America,. It was pure unadulterated innocence and fun. Nothing hurtful, hateful or angry. Just good clean American fun with awesome music and stars.

The Monkees are AWESOME!!!

By JuliaWilkinso, Jul 27, 2012

I am totally obsessed with The Monkees. Their TV show is absolutely hilarious, and their music is wonderful!!! If you haven't seen this show yet, you just have to go out and buy it! My mom gave me both seasons for Christmas last year, and now I'm totally obsessed. Then, I mentioned it at school, and the reaction that I got from my friend Emily was "It does exist!!" Apparently, she had seen an episode once when she was little on a rerun on MTV or something of the sorts. Now, she comes over to my house and we watch the episodes, the specials, and their amazing movie, Head. I suggest this to anyone who wants a good laugh!

PS My favorite is, and will always be the ever-so lovely Micky Dolenz!!

PPS not really related, but Ringo is my favorite Beatle....just thought that was worth mentioning because everyone I now like Paul better.moreless

"The Monkees" television show was an entertaining escape from the troubled late sixties. Only lasting two seasons, the series left the world the gift of some of the best pop music of the era, not to mention the first regular use of the music video clip.

By Nasamike, Jan 15, 2009

It is easy to undervalue the significance of "The Monkees" television series. Even though both the show and the band were "made-up" and heavily promoted indirectly as America's Beatles, the series stands out as a well crafted mix of comedy and music. "The Monkees" lasting contribution was in their music, which sold in the millions. Every show featured a "musical romp," which was a mix of Monkee shenanigans and video performances by the quartet. "The Monkees" should be recognized as pioneers of the mainstream music video and rightly take their place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.moreless

Keeping in mind that when I watched these when they originally aired I was just a 12-14 year old girl . . .

By SamTherra, Apr 02, 2008

I LOVED this show! I LOVED the Monkees! Do you realize how difficult it is for me to confess this now?

I knew even back then that they were a "put together" group, but that didn't matter to me. The group and the show was just what I needed at this time of my life.

My favorite Monkee was Mike Nesmith. I loved his guitar playing talents and adored that accent of his. Maybe that's one of the reasons I love Country Music today.

Looking back at the show 40 years later it's easy to say it was just fluff and contrived. But think about it. Those shows were "Music Videos" way before MTV was even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

I can remember taking pop bottles back to stores for money (recycling 60s style) and using any birthday money I received to buy every vinyl album they put out. One time I even splurged and got one of their albums in STEREO. Yes that's how music was available back then, vinyl and either Mono or Stereo. And also back then (for some strange reason the eludes me now) you were either a Beatles fan or a Monkees fan.

To this day I'm grateful for this TV show getting me through this turbulent time in my life, especially the assassination of another idol of mine back then, Bobby Kennedy.moreless

The Monkees kept me out of trouble in those days. Yes I watched the Monkees when they were new. They were supported by the talents of Boyce and Hart,I hate to admit it but the Monkees were one of the reasons I continued on to become a Musician in my life.

By JohnnyGnote, Dec 16, 2007

In those days I was very effected by the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Country Joe and the Fish, and many other bands of the 60's. BUT! The Monkees were the icon of the pop world. Without them pop music would have remained a boring genre of music, they brought vibrancy and life to the meaning of pop. Regardless of the fact that they were a fabricated band and that only two of the members were actually musicians and not actors (Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork)the band was skyrocketed to stardom status by the the writing talents of Boyce and Hart. At times it was a bit camp and zany but the musical moments redeemed the show. Of the four members only one of them continued on to become a successful Musican/Producer, Michael Nesmith who still remains one of my favorite artists.

(thanks to K.C. Fahel on the correction about Peter Tork)moreless

A sign of the times and of things to come.

By rpgspree, Sep 09, 2007

The show's main premise is about a struggling band of musical misfits just trying to make ends meet. Overall, the show was just a sign of the times, as with some of the other pop cult shows of its day, such as The Adams Family and The Monsters, the plots merely served as a windup that would set the stage and put the predictable characters in motion to predestined conclusion. What did make those shows enjoyable was just watching the colorful characters and their silly situations.

What really set "The Monkeys" ahead of its time though, was its use of entertainment as a promotional tool. The band's songs served as either musical numbers that were intertwined within the plot or as separate unrelated "videos" that were interspersed throughout the show itself. This was in the age before "music videos", where most bands promotions were just of the group performing live on stage. The Monkeys' videos, on the other hand, are clearly distinguishable now as pre-modern music videos. For fans of music history, this is probably more important than the show itself.moreless

The Monkees is my all time favorite tv show. The Monkees however were more than just a great tv show, they were a awesome band. The show was funny clever and innovative. It is well worth the time, you never know, you may become a Monkeesfanatic like me!!!

By NezGrrl, Jan 16, 2007

The Monkees is my all time favorite tv show. The Monkees however were more than just a great tv show, they were a awesome band. The show was funny, clever and innovative. It was like no other shows of its time. The producers, Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider, wanted to make a show that connected with all the young people of its time, so what better to do the job then a one about a rock group. The outcome and the shows success was more than imagined. So for everyone wondering if the show is worth watching, I would give them a big YES!!! Its well worth your time.moreless

What can I say about the Monkees? Good music, funny actors, great lines. This show was before its time and didn't get the credit it deserved.

By angieaha, Nov 08, 2006

Most people remember the Monkees as the "pre-fab 4". What a misconception! True, they were "cast" as a band, but they were a talented group of actors and musicians. Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones were the actors of the group- both child stars. They were great- I have to be honest, I love Micky! He was so funny, and cute- although I like Davy, too. I guess I have a thing for drummers. Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork were the musicians. I think it was blatantly unfair for this group to get the knocks that it did- Peter played with Crosby, Stills and Nash, for goodness sake! When you look at bands from the recent past, Spice Girls, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys- all put together by producers, it's interesting to compare them to the Monkees- who could all play instruments, by the way! This is one of my all-time favorite shows!moreless

This show was the first of its kind. Long before MTV or VH1 we got to watch our favorite group sing on TV while doing wild and crazy things. The life and loves of 4 young men trying to make it in the music business.

By purplealogy, Oct 21, 2006

I loved this show! It was really fun to watch and see what crazy thing they were going to do next. Living with your 3 best friend in a beach house, trying to find a gig each week, which one was having girl problems this week. How they were going to pay their bills with crazy jobs. Davy's uncle trying to take Davy back to England and how the boys talked him out of it. I loved their music, a Monkee album was the first I ever owned. I have a number of albums (yes, albums) and would like to get CDs of more of their music so I can listen to it again. I recently saw Mickey in concert at the Western Washington State Fair and it was wonderful in hear the music live again. Mickey is a truely talented man and very funny! When I hear the Monkees I feel like a kid again.moreless

Load More Reviews