Dumb

Episode Reviews (3)

Great

By xieniii, May 27, 2009

I am actually the same person who gave this episode a 4/10 rating, below. That was back in 2008, when I knew nothing about the series Moral Orel. "Dumb" was the first episode I saw late one night while flipping through the channels, and as you can see from my initial review, I was pretty lost afterwards and had no idea about the characters or the brief references to other story lines in the series (for example, Orel's hunting trip, Coach Stopframe's obsession with Clay, Bloberta's encounter with Doctor Potterswheel). Now, after several months of slowly discovering the show, waiting every weeknight in anticipation for 12:15 am (completely skipping Robot Chicken)...now I know better, and I've come back to give this episode the rating it truly deserves.

If it weren't for long stretches of insomnia in the fall of 2008 I might never have discovered this wonderful show. "Dumb" left me pretty confused at first, but within a week of watching more episodes of Morel Orel I was completely hooked. I discovered the show in its third and final season, when the Adult Swim network decided to cancel orders for new episodes (a really "dumb" decision, with even "dumber" reasons for doing so). I may have been a latecomer to Moral Orel, but I'm now one of its biggest fans.moreless

While lacking Orel, this episode is both disturbing and sweet at the same time.

By toonaspie, Jan 21, 2009

Once you finish watching this amazing series I suggest watching this episode again after the final episode so you come to appreciate the themes behind it. Yes, this show is a messed up dark comedy that not's afraid to show the disturbing side of real life. At the same time it knows how to create heart felt moments and still be disturbingly funny. In the previous episode "Alone" we got a glimpse into the disturbing loneliness of Nurse Bendy who treats teddy bears as if they were her own family. The scenes suggest that she may have been raped or something of that nature. That lonliness is shown in this episode where Joe learns that he still has a mother in the world and goes to find her in Nurse Bendy.

One thing to love about Joe and Nurse Bendy being related is that they are both equally dumb and sadly perhaps the dumbest in Moralton but both feel that neither gets the respect from society they deserve. Nurse Bendy may have been sexually taken advantage of because of her lack of intellect. With Joe in her life, Nurse Bendy is saved from going down the same downward spiral that many of the town's citizens are going through and this becomes a testament to the idea that not all of Moralton's citizens are lost causes if they're willing to break down the walls that divide them.

This episode was well written and yes and old man gets mecrilessly beaten. Such is the messed up but beautiful world of Moral Orel.moreless

An angry 12-year-old boy from a small time grows angry and impatient with his aging father and his soft-spoken stepmother. After learning that his real mother is still alive, he finds her working at a hospital, and the two bond.

By Come_Hither, Oct 30, 2008

This was one of the most bizarre pieces of fiction I have ever seen. Simply bizarre. I just did not understand the humor behind this story -- was it a parody, satire, social commentary, just plain silliness? At one point the boy is shown beating his elderly father to a bloody pulp. At the end, the boy and mother are shown bonding by playfully taking turns sticking out their tongues at each other. Weirdest thing I have ever seen.moreless