Mr. Show with Bob and David

Show Reviews (24)

Great

By jocey11, Dec 21, 2011

when IFC started showing episodes from this show (this show existed before i was born) i fell in love with it. their comedy was genius and ahead of its time, i always laugh when watching this show. =] David Cross and Bob Odenkirk are so awesome!!!

sophistedcated sketch comedies within sketh comedy. mr. show with bob and david has me saying "did they jsut do that?" quite often. tune in for some off-color, off the wall comedy with the guy in the suit and that weird lookin' bald guy!

By AlexKrycec, Sep 28, 2007

mr show is an incredible staple in the world of short lived sketch comedies. although not many can compare to the kings of cross-dressing, the kids in the hall, bob and david put a new twist on sketch comedy with live performance and video broadcast.

the fact that mr. show was an hbo original gave it a free pass to be as offensive as it wanted. so to those who are easily offended, you may want to sit this show out. this show is packed with laughs, however there are some episodes where laughs are few. despite that, i rate mr. show at an eight.

i hope you'll rent a season and find the laughs that i did.moreless

Comedy Central needs to bring this pregnant monkey back!

By PatLTornado, Jul 27, 2007

Mr. show was pure genius sixth grade humor comedy but unfortunely was ahead of it's time and paled to Mad TV and SNL who during the mid 1990s had found thier place in sktech comedy.

Bob,David, Jay,John snd Brian were genius at writing bizzare and absurd skech comedy from the fartin' guy, the rapist/ insurance salesman,Globechem to the "Teardrop Awards" and "Fairsley and Gibbons" Mr. Show was ground breaking and needs to return to T.V. because for the past 3 seasons both MadTV and SNL's writing has been weak with lame and mundane skeches.

Yes folks, the blame goes to HBO for making "Mr. Show" underatted but there's plenty we can do to bring it back, online petition is one, while writing letters to "Comedy Central" can be another factor to saving the world of sktech comedy which right now is in the same palce it was in back in 1994-1995: Weighted down by weak preformances by cast and mediocre writingmoreless

Edgy Satire (probably ahead of its time)

By Evil_Dead_Ash, Jun 25, 2007

This show was an intelligent comedy sketch show featuring a talented cast anchored by comedians Bob Odenkirk and David Cross.

Also impessive were the seamless 'links' that joined the sketches into a cohesive show.

To enjoy this show, you have to enjoy irreverant and satirical humour. I'm also convinced that a higher than avergage intellect is necessary as well (otherwise the jokes will fly over your head).

Of course, not ever sketch was a winner; but there was something funny in the majority of sketches.

Also, a final warning - those easily offended probably should not watch this show. If you're worried about vulgar language...don't watch! And religion was a favorite target of the show (you've been warned).

But if you have a good sense of humour and don't take things too seriously, this is a great show!moreless

"It could be one young person and one companion together or one young person and one companion seperately..." Trust me, Mr. Show is the funniest sketch show since Monty Python and its completely bizaree, twisted, absurd, and I love it.

By StarFry, May 27, 2007

As the HBO logo disapeers you hear a catchy tune with a weird logo of man in woman's shoes, a big mouth with a full beard, a little hat, dead flowers, and fireworks. You got Mr. Show in your head.

If you haven't heard of Mr. Show, I don't blame you. Not a lot of people actually heard of it at the time when SNL and MADtv was viewed for free. I suggest look at SOME of the sketches on YouTube.

My introduction to the show was another great but cancelled show Arrested Development starring David Cross as one of the many characters. I looked up his name to see what else he has done and Mr. Show came up. I now have all the DVD's up to point, and just watching the episode from time to time is great replay value.

Mr. Show was not as the same as other sketch shows. There weren't a lot of repeated characters but if you notice, some repear from time to time such as Bob Odenkirk's Slob ("This museum isn't a baby-sitting place *eats donut() or David Cross' British Person ('Ugh, Air Conditioning?") and lets not forget Three Times One Minus One ("Woo wea woo wea Wee-ooh... Damn..."). The humor had many levels of style in terms of shocking the audience ("Cause life is precious, and God, and The Bible") and how absurd a situation is ("Can both of you watch me and my husband do it?"). There was not a lot of physical comedy, but there was a lot of singing. I personally did not like "Jeeper Creepers Musical" but I did like "Fuzz: The Musical" and "3 Holes Musical" but loved "Teardrop Awards" and "3 Times 1 Minus 1". Mr. Show does follow some traights from other shows like going from live-action to pre-taped similar to Python. But what shows true effort from the cast is for example: Bob and David has a producer who is a prisoner. In live-action on the stage they are talking to the producer, but what the producer is doing and saying was pre-taped so the timing is great. Another great thing that borrows from Python is going from one sketch to another without having a short intermission with a logo showing. Somehow one minor character introduces a major character. For example: An adult orphan has a balloon following him which is minor, then he enters a p**n shop which is the major sketch and goes into a "booth". Although I feel some intervening of the sketches are obvious, its great the humor is non-stop.

The humor may not be easily accesible, most of the humor is for those who enojyed Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiam, The Larry Sanders Show, The Office (both versions), and Napoleon Dynamite to name a few. I was really confused of the "God Making a Book On Tape" sketch actually and I hope I'm not the only one. Fans of SNL or MADtv (especially) may find it diffucult to keep up of Mr. Show but the ride is fun. The entire (Main and Featured) cast is great.

Overall, I love Mr. Show and you should definately pick it up. If you're worried, rent Season 3, the best season between 1-4. I would like to end this review by saying...

"Why should we blow up the Moon, when we already have so much to destroy on Earth?"

XDmoreless

Nice one!

By da_dunker, May 06, 2007

The comparison to Monty Python is inevitable (both Bob Odenkirk and David Cross have acknowledged their debt to their predecessor in interviews), but make no mistake: "Mr. Show with Bob & David" is refreshingly original and brilliantly funny. There have been so many hilarious moments on the show that it would be impossible for me to name a particular favorite. The sketches are so finely crafted that even when the jokes fall flat (which is extremely rare), they're still quite engrossing ("Coupon: The Movie" is an example). I've been watching the show faithfully since its second season and each new episode only leaves me wanting more. The show's strong ensemble cast featuring John Ennis, Jill Talley, Tom Kenny and especially Jay Johnston are part of what makes the show work so well.

Being on HBO, they're pretty much able to do what they please, but while there is plenty of profanity (not an issue for me at all), they are in no way reliant upon cussing for laughs. In fact, one of the more memorable sketches involved a take-off of "Goodfellas" being edited for television in which the cuss words were replaced with such phrases as "mother-father" and "Chinese dentist".

HBO deserves to be praised for recognizing the talent of Bob & David and keeping the show on the air in spite of its small - albeit fiercely loyal - number of viewers.

The next time HBO airs a "Mr. Show" marathon, don't just watch it, tape it!moreless

One of the ultimate stoner shows!

By TOOL_420, Jan 09, 2007

Bob and David are amazing! This is the best sketch comedy ever and it is sad that it only lasted a few years. I just recently discovered this show when I found out that Maynard Keenan of Tool appeared in a few episodes. I decided that to check this show out. I love it, it is creative and absolutely hysterical. It is very rare to find a show that actually makes you laugh out loud. Bob and Dave aren’t afraid to say and do what they please, making fun of religion, the government, corporate American, and the Pope. This show needs to come back!moreless

This show should have never left and should be doing new episode.

By overton-sg, Sep 12, 2006

This show has to be one of the best sketch comedy shows well best ever, this show is so original and yet genius. I have to say that I have never seen a bad episode of mr show, I mean come on there should be new episodes. they still show reruns and I never miss them. but out of all the shows don't think any of them come close to this great show.

Better comedy is nowhwere to be found.

By 3times1minus1, May 08, 2006

HBO can pretend that the show failed because it was "too highbrow", "too cerebral", or just plain "unfunny", but we all know it was because they sandwiched the damn thing inbetween reruns of "Real Sex" and "Look Who's Talking Too" at 3 in the morning on Tuesday nights.

Long live the Royal Dutch of Dukes!!!

Random show about random stuff with Bob and David.

By knox178, Apr 06, 2006

Why did they take it off? NOOOOO RONNIE!!!!!!!!!! Let's celebrate Mr. Show with a quote overview.

"No one knows what entidilitus does or what entidilitus is but entidilitus kills"

"Can I have change for a dollar? hmmmmm...lemme go ask my boss. what'd he say? I went the wrong way"

"Yesterday I was number one grandpa and today you're gonna just take that away from me?"

"RONNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My scream lasted for 3 days"

"When will I be special? when will I be someone who's loved? (something you should know about David: he went to public school and gets Hitler confused with Hitler.)"

"I will say the states in 18 seconds! um Indiana...Illinois... (2 other random names) and um.......................................................CHIM CHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!! ( runs around with American flag) (something you should know about Bob...he missed the first day of school and never quite caught up...he thinks that there are 5 states and one of them is called Chim Cham)moreless

Load More Reviews