Bête Noire

Episode Reviews (31)

Great

Ducky,Gerald and Kate held hostage by a terrorist

By 7dixob, Aug 22, 2012

A true NCIS episode when Gibbs has got to find out a way to save Ducky,Gerald and Kate.With Gerald getting shot in the shoulder because Kate tried to trick the terrorist it came to the point where Gibbs and the terrorist both shot each other and a smoke grenade went off and the terrorist escaped.With also Gibbs not happy with Kate for not killing him when she had the chance.

A Terrorist Infiltrates The NCIS Headquarters And Takes Hostages At The Morgue. Gibbs Must Find A Way To Rescue His Comrades.

By Matt16020-FIN, May 16, 2012

There is no doubt that this episode is the season's best. I was surprised that the writers can bring us such an amazing episode. The different opening scene completely blew me away. I loved it! The character of the terrorist is mysterious and that is why he is my favorite NCIS foe of all times. The balance between the hostage situation and Gibbs' rescue plan is another high point. The cast is at the top-form here once again. David McCallum and Sasha Alexander were excellent here. The only negative thing about this episode is that it was NOT clearly explained how the terrorist got away. That is a minor flaw in otherwise a superb episode. The terrorist saga will continue in the season finale. Excellent episode.moreless

Great episode, lots of suspense, best episode of season 1 I've seen yet

By AlissaRyan, Jan 13, 2011

(Spoilers!) When I saw the look on Gerald's face when he opened the body bag, and knowing the main plot of the episode (Ducky, Gerald, and Kate are held hostage), I figured someone had snuck into the Autopsy room. The first scene was much different than it usually was because of it's differing plot. This time, they weren't solving some crime, they were trying to save Ducky, Gerald, and Kate as well as try to get the terrorist as well.

I really loved this episode. My friend introduced me to this show a couple weeks ago, and I've been watching season 1 in order (even though you don't really have to for NCIS). This is, by far, the best episode I've watched of season 1 yet. I usually don't review episodes, but right when the episode finished, I knew that I had to share what I thought.

I didn't see many faults with this episode. It was very carefully thought out, and the actor that played Ari, the terrorist, was magnificent. He had this kindness about him that almost made you want to like him, even though you knew he was a terrorist. And a smart one at that: it's one thing to get into the autopsy room through body bag, but to escape like like he did? Amazing.

The only thing I didn't like it how uncharacteristically incompetent Kate was! It was pretty obvious that something was wrong when Ducky called her Abby on the phone. I just wonder if she realized something was wrong. She must have, since she brought down fake evidence instead of the real evidence, but you'd think she would have at least told somebody, left a note even, to let people know what she was doing.

I was nervous throughout this entire episode! I really loved it.

I particularly loved the ending! Gibbs went down, unarmed like Ari asked him, and, given Kate's gun, they both shoot at each other. Gibbs gets shot in the shoulder I believe, possibly the upper arm. He passes out, and when he wakes up, he goes over to look at Ari, laying on the ground face-down. But when he rolls him over, it's not Ari, it's the dead terrorist that Ducky and Gerald had been looking at before. The smoke that Ari caused allowed him to put the dead terrorist in his place and escape. Ari is a genius, really. Kate reveals that, when she almost stabbed Ari, she could feel the bullet proof vest underneath his shirt, which allowed him to escape without being shot.

This was an excellent episode. I feel like I will probably come back to this episode when I'm in the mood for a thrilling episode. Because, even though I know what happens, I'll still feel suspense for two reasons: 1. the suspense was so evident in Abby (who knew she was supposed to have been captured instead of Kate because it was Abby that was asked to bring the evidence down, not Kate), and 2. because the ending is such a cliff hanger that I know I'll be dying to know what happens to Ari.

I think Ari will definitely show up in a future episode.moreless

NOW we're really cooking!!

By CosmoCramer1, Jan 09, 2011

I got into NCIS around season three and I'm just now going back and watching the episodes in order. THIS is the episode that makes it the POWERHOUSE prime time show it is now. Suspense, intrigue, infilteration, a battle with a smart, a very smart baddie on their own turf. It's what the best stories are made of and with everyone involved the personal investment of each character in the situation and the desired revenge after is realistic and a strong storyline that will no doubt be loads of fun to follow. I know this to be true because even coming into the story part way through, I was hooked. Anyone who sees it from the beginning is already at an advantage.

A great ep on a GREAT show.moreless

What an episode

By Parricida, May 16, 2010

Ok.. I loved the unusual way it started and on the moment we saw Doki's assistance face.. we were all wondering, what is in the bag. But you do not expect alive person from body bag. So.. That was just the start of brilliant episode.

I love those nightmares everyone were facing and how the tension was build. How long will it take for them to realize that there is hostage situation and how the solve it. And Kate getting involved. That was.. and the way it seemed to influence her. I think maybe that will come back later (not that this show does not look to bring things back but..) And the way they solved it. Gibbs taking the game into his own hands and trying to solve it. That moment he went there.. it was really fast sequence but brilliant to watchmoreless

Great character episode with the introduction of an intriguing new foe. Best episode of season 1.

By whiteraven2005, Jan 20, 2010

A great character episode (though it doesn't show Kate in a good light at all) and since Tony is one of my favourites, I enjoyed seeing the serious side of him. It's times like this that you know why Gibbs hired Tony. Got a feeling we're not gong to see Gerald again – pity, I've gotten used to him.

Kate's not the sharpest knife in the drawer – Ducky practically warns Kate and Kate actually goes down there without telling Gibbs and not only has her gun on her (inside the office (?))but then is so blatant outside autopsy it was embarrassing. Then she doesn't stab him.

Ari is such a great character – handsome, charismatic, dangerous, obviously educated. Getting in was easy but then he got out too.

An excellent episode.moreless

This episode is sensational in so many ways.

By amazing_race, Dec 27, 2009

This episode, Bete Noire, is a huge turning point in this show. It is an incredible episode, in my opinion, with a load of suspense and an incredible plot.

This episode also introduces the series' first major antagonist, Ari Haswari.

I was very nervious while watching this episode, and I really enjoyed this one a lot.

The episode was incredibly well written and planned very well. It was extremely suspenseful, and thoroughly interesting and enjoyable.

This episode is really a must-see for so many reasons. Besides Ari being introduced, the episode is also very entertaining, and I for NCIS fans, this episode, at least in my opinion, is umissable.

I also want to add that the episode was unpredictable from the first moment to the last, and that added another dimension for me.

Keep up the sensational work, NCIS!moreless

I didn't care too much for this episode. (Review has a spoiler)

By RadiationTheatr, Nov 26, 2008

Cait knows something is wrong when Ducky calls her Abby, yet instead of alerting other people, or at least leaving Gibbs a note, she walks down with the evidence herself. Yes, she's smart enough to not take the real evidence, neverthless she is still foolish in not alerting everyone as to what was going on, so that a concerted effort could be made to find out what was going on.

Admittedly, it had to be done this way to drive future episodes, nevertheless I find it annoying when writers make people do silly things just to advance the plot. I hope people watching it actually realize that in real life, that's not the way a competent agent would have acted!moreless

Ducky and Gerald find a live terrorist in a body bag.

By EagleBoy119, Jul 28, 2008

This episode is one of my favourite so far in the NCIS series. It involves a lot of investigation by the viewer as well as the agents of NCIS. The acting of the terrorist is superb, and the mood of the autopsy room is entrancing. At some points i found myself pausing the episode to have a think about what happened before. The action end of the episode is awesome and the investigation of Gibbs is yet again uncanny. The NCIS team springs into actions like a well-oiled machine. I would recommend this to any fan of the series for a different taste of NCIS.moreless

Load More Reviews