Necessary Roughness

Show Reviews (13)

back to channel surfing

By cooksalot5, Apr 21, 2014

I'm so sorry this show was cancelled. I enjoyed it so much. It's not easy finding something clever and entertaining instead of cop shows, vampires and unfortunate cartoons that are just sad.

Nighttime soap opera? Just what tv needs.

By chrscrt68, Dec 18, 2012

Just watching the commercial makes me want to vomit. I need to choose between the man I'm in love with and the man I'm dangerously attracted to. What is the problem, are you a wild animal that can't control yourself. Because if you are truly in love with one man you don't have problems resisting another. This show makes women look like pigs. Good luck with that.

By gracielove, Nov 08, 2012

Like how there is nothing like it on tv. And never has been. Great cast.

i love this show

By JennyPlume, Sep 28, 2012

I am a huge usa watcher. my tv almost always stays on usa. but if they cancel this fairly legal or covert affairs i am done. I mean 100%. I love this show I love danny and I want more

Not like everything

By Myiii, Sep 01, 2012

Personally, I respect everyone's opinion but I really like this show. I like every single characters and I like this's great to watch something different!

Psychological football, yeah?

By pringle2012, Jul 17, 2012

This show really stinks!

A divorce, a new job, and a new love interest are in store for our leading lady. Dani has many adjustments to make in life and they are most entertaining to watch unfold.

By ClassieMaeC, Oct 30, 2011

I was completely surprised by Necessary Roughness. Actually, I did not intend to watch, but then I saw Mechad Brooks. This is the best role I've seen him play. His presence on the screen provides instant humor. I'm always sad when his character fades into the background, but I don't turn the channel. Dani, Nico and the rest of the cast keep it interesting enough to stay tuned in. Is Necessary Roughness the best show ever-NO. However, it is the perfect show for USA's summer line up. I hope that it stays around for a little while longer.moreless

Stick with Dr. Dani's professional life - lose the boring personal stuff.

By dk_nj49, Oct 30, 2011

This show points out one of the worst aspects of our culture, which is that real, decent personal and family values are always subverted by the golden idol of profit in professional sports (among other corporate entities).

The therapeutic interventions by Dr. Dani can be compelling and exciting, and if the show would concentrate exclusively on those story lines, it would be much more interesting. The problem is that the action is constantly being interrupted by the problems of her personal life, which, while anything but petty, are boring at best, and utterly irritating at worst. She has snotty kids (especially her daughter), and her friends, for the most part, are shallow and obnoxious; they sidetrack the direction of the story into silly, superficial situations. For example, one recent episode dedicated a significant portion of its time to her high school reunion (seriously, who really gives a flying leap about what she's going to wear to this event? For that matter, who cares about her high school reunion?).

There are way too many thoroughly unlikeable characters in this show, not the least of whom is Terrence King. Here is a narcissistic prima donna who is constantly acting out, then blames everyone else for his problems, taking absolutely no responsibility for his own actions. Yet he is coddled and protected by his organization, and why? Because he's a money maker. So how do they deal with him? Do they treat him appropriately, like the spoiled child that he is? No, they bring in a professional therapist to solve all his problems within a week so that he will be able to perform on the field - and that's not to mention the publicist, trainer, and troubleshooter, among others, all of whom are expected to cover for him. He believes that he can do whatever he wants without consequences, and that it's up to the people around him to clean up his messes. There is nothing remotely amusing or entertaining about such a character. Dr. Dani herself has admitted that she's enabled him, which brings me to my problem with her.

The whole notion of her clients coming to her house and being allowed to interact with her family is ludicrous, and even more so because she allows it to continue ad infinitum. Some would call that good drama, but to this viewer, it's unprofessional and unrealistic (I doubt that any real mental health professional would tolerate the circus that goes on in her home), and above all, uninteresting.

Thumbs up for the therapy action, thumbs down for everything else - that averages out to a verdict of mediocre.

This show is fresh to what I call a good show. It's funny, witty and sexy.

By annie_hay, Oct 30, 2011

I think it is very intellectual and has pretty good humor compared to some shows out there. I really enjoy this show and I will continue to watch it from here on!!

Psychology is a field I would love to get into and this show is just great to watch.

Load More Reviews