New Amsterdam

Show Reviews (57)

Great

Very enjoyable series

By Rolamb, Jul 10, 2013

When I found the series it had already been cancelled for four years. I like series where flashbacks are handled in a good and supporting way. John had seen so many things and was living with all his experience. But still he managed to be positive most of the time. Good!!

And: a Danish actor playing a Dutch character is for me, being Dutch, a bit troubling. But he did well.

GRATUITOUS, VIOLENT, GRAPHIC IMAGES

By shlubek, May 09, 2011

My husband had seen the preview and planned to watch the first episode. We knew the general subject matter, but was not prepared for what we saw 3 seconds into the opening sequence. The violent images and stress inducing music caused both my daughter(age 24)and me to leave the room leaving my husband to watch for another few minutes and it was then too much for him! Seriously - there's enough gore and shock on the daily news.... we don't need our tv entainment to be as bad as real life!

This much violence and disturbing content in an opening sequence left no doubt that the show would only be worse but, we didn't stay to find out and will not tune in again.moreless

liked it but not too sad to see it go

By CoffeeCake225, Dec 08, 2010

When this show first came on i really liked it, it was something different and had a certain feel to it that really pulled me in. As time passed and the episodes continued to air the show remained constant, the story kept developing and more and more things were revealed about the characters, now looking back remembering the show i see that throughout it all it was always missing something..not sure what but it wasnt quite memorable. i can't imagine the show still on now i have no idea how the show could've developed further, they created the love interest from the beginning and the whole point was for him to find his one true love...unless they ended up making it his partner idk how the show could have kept you tuned in to your tv every night to see what happens next...at least after the 1st season (if that)moreless

Not given a chance!

By sandbur, Jul 02, 2010

This show started really slowly, and I did originally fear it would never hit the mark. And then all of a sudden it just clicked with the characters and the storyline meeting in the right places.

Too bad by that time FOX had already made up its mind to kill it, after doing their best to bury it in a lousy time slot with no promotion.

I liked that it was an interesting variation on a theme, for a change, and "John Amsterdam" promised to be a deep and followable (is that a word??!!) character. The lady doctor was a dud as far a character for a relationship, but that was a minor detail.

I have wondered where Nikolaj Coster-Waldau disappeared to, and I think its time some smart network brought him back!moreless

Why was such a good show cancelled so early?!

By drdan2410, Jul 02, 2010

This show concentrates on a 400 year old immortal man named John Amsterdam (not his original name) who is currently working as a homicide detective in New York while he searches for his true love to break his curse of immortality.

On the surface this show could have come across as sentimental or wishy-washy but it didn't. It was effectively a cop show but with an immortal lead character. The plotlines are quick and usually convey more than a little information about the history of new york along the way. The characters were all well rounded and very well acted with some great supporting roles along the way. I really feel this show could have gone from a good solid new series to a very clever and compelling show if it was only given the chance.moreless

John Amsterdam is immortal. Four hundred years ago when the Dutch were taking the island of Manhattan from the Indians he took a mortal blow to save an Indian girl. She bestowed this gift/curse on him that he won't grow old till he finds his true love.

By jyarter, Jul 04, 2009

Yes, this premise has been done before, but never so eloquently or persuasively. This is in a way better than the Highlander films as it brings the real world into the mix. Not a world of immortals but one in which John is unique. There is really no one to share his curse with until he finds his one true love.

The way in which each story unfolds is wonderful. Really connecting each story with some part of the 400 years he has lived brings to view how the world really doesn't change no matter the technology or the time.

Nikolaj Coster Waldau does a wonderful job as Amsterdam. The supporting cast of Zuleikha Robinson as Eva, Alexie Gilmore as Sara, Stephen McKinley Henderson as Omar, Robert Clohessy as Detective Santori, and Susan Misner as Sergeant Burnett are all great in their roles. The acting in this series is first rate. I really enjoy that he at least has a confidant in his son Omar. A lot of times a secret of that magnitude can ruin a story. I also enjoyed that he is always so open with people and doesn't worry about what they think. Time this minute and thoughts are fleeting if you live forever.

It was truly a shame that this series was canceled after just eight episodes. It came out as a mid-season replacement and I find this is the fate of a lot of those shows. I think back to ten years ago. A show ran generally for its 22 to 26 episode run one way or another. There were shows they played in the summer that were sometimes audition shows, but this idea of canceling shows mid-season and replacing them with fill ins is for the birds. I think you are going to see more and more shows of this type coming and going as they are never really given a chance. The Unusuals was this years case. It never caught an audience and it was ten episodes and out.

Great production values, well written stories, well thought out characters, and well played roles. Should be the sign for success. Unfortunately not in this case. Thanks for reading...moreless

A decent show with a good plot the whole family could get into.

By jaxaudi, Sep 29, 2008

A decent show with a good plot the whole family could get into. Not sure wht it went off but all 3 of us enjoyed it . Just like normal good shows get cancelled and other we could care less about are renewed. We still watch it if it was on today but instead I guess we'll be watching ncs's new lineup. How does a decision get made to cut out or keep shows? Is it just a ratings thing? Perhaps better advertising would help but hey we are just normal people trying to find good shows even out kids can watch. So where's the logic?moreless

New Amsterdam is a wonderful blend of romance, fantasy, crime and drama. Coupled with an engaging cast and interesting premise, this well-made show is a gem.

By dtkt15, Jul 31, 2008

New Amsterdam follows the exploits of John Amsterdam, a New York City homicide detective in the 21st century and his search for the one. Through flashbacks, we learn that John was a Dutch soldier from the 17th century that was granted the curse (or gift?) of immortality for saving a native American girl's life. His biological clock will not resume until he finds the one and their souls are wed.

Each episode reveals pieces of John's life over the last 400 years. We learn that he has been an artist, coachman, and grifter to name a few. In the present, John teams up with a new partner, Eva, to investigate murders in the city that never sleeps.

First of all, let me just say that this show has made me a fan of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. His charismatic portrayal of John elevates this already excellent show to greater heights. The rest of the cast is equally good. I love the banter between John and the show's other characters particular Eva, Santori, Omar and in later episodes, the Sarge. The lines are witty and funny. A favoutite of mine is between Eva and Santori. Let me quote from episode 3:)

Eva: That the weapon?

Santori: You think? Heavy blunt object covered with blood.

Eva: I was being rhetorical. You know what rhetorical means? That was rhetorical too.

The chemistry between John and Eva also sizzles. There has not been such a pairing since Mulder and Scully. I also love learning about John's past and how his past ties up with the present. John's search of the one, whom he believes is Dr. Sara Dillane, brings a welcomed touch of romance into this fantasy crime drama. In summary, New Amsterdam is a wonderful show that succesfully blends romance and fantasy in a crime drama. Given time, I really believe that this show will only get better.moreless

By danharr, Jul 22, 2008

The premise of this show grabbed me from the beginning and I couldn't wait to see what fox would do with it. I was pleased with the results but as usual just when a show is getting good it's canceled. John Amsterdam over 300 years old due to a Native American "blessing". The catch is he'll live forever until he finds his true love. It was interesting the way immortality was linked to true love and then death. Along the way we had good flashbacks and plenty of surprises as to how our hero became what we see today. We see him change from a selfish and at times criminal to a person wanting to use his ability to help others. Watching him navigate his past and present personal life was often time thrilling and surprising. Great show and I'm really disappointed that it had to end with so few episodes.moreless

Load More Reviews