Newhart

Show Reviews (7)

Great

By ccrothers, Jul 13, 2009

Newhart was a truly great television show! It tells the tales of Dick Louden and his wife Joanna and their Inn in Vermont. There are regular characters on the show like Stephanie, Michael, and George who are all funny and fun to watch and listen to. Then there are the townspeople like the three brothers Larry, Darryl, and Darryl. That trio was incredibly funny! Bob Newhart plays Dick Louden perfectly as the one voice of reason among all the strange and crazy townspeople. It's fun to watch all the snow on the ground and the cold Vermont weather conditions that were shown so often on the show. My wife and I watch this show every time we find out it's reruns are coming on the television!moreless

I would watch this show before anything else ever made.

By topspacehead, Sep 26, 2008

I used to stay up to watch reruns until 1:ooam, even though I had to be up for work at 5:00am. Larry, Daryl and Daryl were so funny. George reminded me so much of me it was scarey. Stephanie the maid and Joanna the wife were really hot. The scenery of New England was breath taking. The locals in the town were the type of people you would want to live around. Stephanie and the boy friend were so shallow and self absorbed, that they made you want to hate them, but you couldn't. I would want to live there to this day. The writers of this show were absolutely brilliant.moreless

Life among the unique individuals at the Stratford Inn.

By Lokar, Jun 28, 2006

Having enjoyed a long career writing how-to manuals, Dick Loudon decides to change callings and take over a Vermont lodge named the Stratford Inn. He and his wife Joanna greet their guests and colleagues with a mixture of cheer and bemusement.

You'll meet indelible characters like repairman George Utley, milquetoast Michael and his vain rich girlfriend Stephanie, her mansion-dwelling parents Arthur and Marian, and the legendary trio of siblings, "Larry, Darryl, and this is my other brother, Darryl."

Eccentric doesn't begin to describe it.

A hilarious show as charming and offbeat as its cast. Witty and cerebral, yet always accessible, this is one of the best sitcoms of modern memory.moreless

A hilarious story theme with a superb finale

By gwactuary, Mar 10, 2006

A Vermont innkeeper with a wife who wore sweaters, who forgot she wasn't Japanese, a handyman who just never "got it," three woodsmen, and an heiress for a maid. The mere thought is enough to make you consider swearing off Japanese food for life.

Or the whole thing was a dream. TVLand recently named the final scene of the Newhart series the Number 1 unexpected moment of all TV history. It was so far and away the Number 1 scene that it masked what might have otherwise been the Number 2 all-time unexpected moment - a scene just 5 minutes previous: The Darryls finally spoke.

moreless

One of those shows you'll aways remember.

By bonefactory, Jan 19, 2006

OK, I will try not restate what I said in my reveiw for The Bob Newhart Show, but that maybe hard. In this long running show Newhart plays an inn keeper who just want peace and quite, but gets surrounded by so of the craziest people in the world. It's the same basic idea for his previous series but in this case that is a good thing.

With some of the most memoriable charactors, Newhart takes what makes you think sounds like everyday sitcom and brings it to another level of comedy.

Newhart also has one TV's greatest ending episodes. Instead of going for the typical cheesey ending that tries to tug your heartstrings, the show takes the episode to the high road and makes it just like any other show. I won't tell you the great ended but I will say I hope you watched The Bob Newhart Show.

This is the only show that makes you laugh everytime you hear "Hello, my name is Larry, this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl."moreless

Bob Newhart at his best!

By radioradio, Nov 20, 2005

One of the finest crafted situation comedies of all time. The characters were all very predictable. That is for everyone but Dick Louden, the Vermont innkeeper played by Bob Newhart. My impression is that Dick was kind of living in his own Twilight Zone. I always identified with Dick as week after week, he was the only one on the show with any sense, almost like he was from a different planet than everyone else. Add in Bob Newhart's bewildered and frustrated funny facial expressions and his spot on perfect comedic timing, and you've got non stop laughs for about 8 years!

Come to think of it, another very funny show, “Third Rock from the Sun” probably borrowed from “Newhart”.

moreless

DVD What are you waiting for....

By davetruckernyc, Aug 20, 2005

Bob Newhart is at his absolute best as an local Inn keeper who has to keep his wits about him when trouble is all round. Think Basil Fawlty in Vermont and you've got Newhart. What a great cast. Superb writing and brilliant imagination made this sitcom a true classic. Indeed