The Sins of the Fathers

Episode Reviews (4)

Good

too much wailing

By dragonflii, Sep 21, 2014

well, i thought that richard thomas would never stop crying & screaming, so THAT got under my skin from the get-go.

then, i was so annoyed by his mother's eagerness to sacrifice her sweet, innocent son's eternal life for his father's (who CHOSE to do it), that i went out to the kitchen for a snack & missed the ending.

No Gary Collins!!!

By davidwesthoff75, Aug 29, 2014

This was one of 2 really scary episodes from NG i is now showing these early mornings, and i have been waiting for this episode to all we get are the horrible ones with Gary Collins which is disappointing.

Another great example of the masterpiece that is the Night Gallery.

By tzfanatic93, Apr 30, 2010

The Sins of the Fathers is, without a doubt, one of the most truly terrifying episodes of Night Gallery that there is. Richard Thomas was marvelous in this episode. When I first saw this, I found it hard to understand what was going on at the time. But when I did realize what was going on it scared the heck out of me.

The Sins of the Fathers is a great example of why Night Gallery is such a fantastic show. Richard Thomas was great in this episode. This is such a fantastic episode that I could just watch over and over again to frighten myself.moreless

The only episode (of the many I saw) that I still remember vividly. It was truly horrifying.

By sfseeker, Apr 30, 2010

My remembrance of this episode is a little sketchy, given that it aired in 1972, but I remember being freaked out by it. The gist of the story: In Wales, there was a man designated as the village "sin eater". He would feast on food laid out on a corpse, and "absorb" all of the sins committed by the deceased during their lifetime. Richard Thomas' character is the son of a "sin eater" who has just died. His mother (the wonderfully borderline-nuts Geraldine Page) doesn't want her dead husband roasting in hell, with all the sins he's "eaten" over the years, so she cajoles the son into "eating" all the sins from the dead father.

SPOILER ALERT!

He does it. And it's horrifying.moreless