Gene Shelly

Episode Reviews (6)

Great

The Lesbian REALLY???

By DoddsDonnelly, Jan 16, 2009

I was in such shock over Christian and Liz hooking up. they kinda of showed it in the preview but I didn't think that it was really going to happen. The whole thing with the new boy was killing me. I though that it was funny that he thought that he might be gay cause he messed around with what he thought was a girl but was really a boy. I am so glad that his no longer in the chair that was really bothering me that he was faking it. The whole baby thing was so funny it was a great storyline. This show has some of the best writers.moreless

Kimber ... seriously. OMG.

By tjaman, Jan 15, 2009

God, if Christian pulled cancer into himself, what kind of karmic beatdown left Kimber carved, poisoned, mutilated and naked on the side of the road after being abducted from her wedding? For her to ridicule him at such a moment ... she is a toxic thing. And from the previews, she just gets worse.

I did love how horrible she was with Wilber's nanny. "Hey, you're a person in the room. Let me give you hundreds of dollars and my child!" :D

I like Raj. He reminds me of one of my favorite lines from "Dangerous Liaisons": "Like most intellectuals, he is intensely stupid." He may be a genius, but he's so naive, you just see how he's going to stumble into all sorts of bad situations.

This was an interesting episode for its continued exploration of gender, identity and orientation. Liz gets off with Christian under less than fully disclosed circumstances, and Raj gets off with a dude he thought was a woman.

The Liz and Christian liaison I thought was especially nice, although it didn't seem entirely consensual -- Liz "came round" to the idea. She's been there for him so much in all of this -- cared for him, signed on as Wilber's legal guardian. Christian desperately needed to feel accepted, and she ... well, honestly, I can't imagine how weird that had to have been for her -- "Do I ... um, Christian? Do I wake him up? Or ... mmmm ..."

The backpedalling, anger and spite the next day was no less than he deserved, btw. He was a real jerk.

As for Sean ...

I really think this show portrays women in the absolute worst way, and Sean's little chippie from class is only the latest in a string of really awful encounters. I suspected her infantilizing nature from her first encounter, and I know he's in a bad place but I couldn't believe Sean would let her keep up that "mama" and "baby" routine. It only got more pronounced as the show went on, and when he found himself diapered that was only the logical extreme of something he'd otherwise been encouraging.

I can respect the urge, after what he's been through, to want to be babied and pitied and looked after, and Sean needs some gentle handling. They both do. They both need to find a harem of selfless, caring women to rebuild their trust and faith in humanity and their ability to love and reach out, because these men are deeply scarred and broken, and until the final scene, they couldn't even reach out to each other.

Let the healing begin.

Incidentally, I liked the patient this week. I think this show is at it's best when it's exploring issues of self-worth, perception and identity, and how exteriors are often entirely disconnected from interiors. This show's strength is in its characters, and it's nice to get some more characters in the mix, with the Conor and Julia sighting (she was present but didn't ruin anything, which was good) and the heads-up on where Eden is and what's going on with everyone else.

This, to me, was just a much more satisfying installment than last week's, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it's heading. :)moreless

This episode is most notable for its recycled plots, sensationalism, and shallow characterizations.

By soul2cole, Jan 15, 2009

This show ceased to be artful as soon as it won the Golden Globe, and this episode was further proof. How many times do they need to show Christian's vomit before the audience "gets it"? Yes, cancer sucks. But I already knew that, having lost my mother, father-in-law, grandmother, grandfather, and three aunts to cancer. A balance between the graphic and the subtle is far more persuasive than this constant stream of "let's see how gross we can be before the censors shut us down." The sex scene between Christian and Liz was unwatchable, and Raj's miraculous realization of what had happened between them was preposterous. Rather than actually taking the time for Christian and Liz to deal with the aftermath, and for the truth to come to light as a result of their own internal struggles, Raj just read their minds. This insensitive, self-involved, teenage medical phenome suddenly had the empathy and the people skills to intuit what Christian and Liz weren't saying. This storyline could be wonderful if handled well, but so far - well, I'd call it a train wreck, but a train wreck would be more interesting. The diaper was predictable. Not clever, not funny, not insightful. It didn't even work as a metaphor. Sean allowed the floozy to treat him like a baby because she was hot, not because she was filling some psychic need in him. It was her fantasy, not his, and he just went along with it for the sex. If that wasn't the takeaway the writers intended, then they should have shown the characters engaged in some activity other than sex. If they were at a restaurant, and he let her cut his steak, okay, maybe I'd have bought that he liked her taking care of him. But because he let her give him a bath? Sorry, no. The Shelleys were just a couple more characters to add to the freak pile. Not especially interesting, but okay. The show's done transgender issues before, so it's hardly breaking new ground. Raj is experiencing the same confusion over Tracy that Matt experienced after learning about Ava's sexuality. Maybe the show's just run out of questions to ask, or freakishness to expose. Maybe in 80 episodes, they've already told all the stories there are to tell. But I doubt it. The remarkable thing is that the level of acting on this show still remains strong. These actors deserve far better writing, and so does the audience. I keep hoping that the show will find its way back to the brilliance of the first two seasons, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. The writers are too complacent, too content with shortcuts, too focused on sensational plots to create the true drama that comes from character exploration. These characters are so rich, yet the writers continue their feeble attempts to dazzle the audience with the fool's gold on the surface rather than mining the ore beneath. What a waste.moreless

Baby Got Ick

By maxpower03, Jan 14, 2009

While I'm still enjoying Liz and Christian's storyline, I was left uneasy after their sex scene. I don't want to use the "r" word, but I really got bad vibes from it. I don't know what the writers were going for either. Did they think it was romantic? Mysterious? Was it supposed to be uncomfortable to watch? Whatever the answer, I think Liz doubting her sexuality has just happened too fast. For a woman so crazily out and proud over the years, it just doesn't ring true that she would be having serious feelings for a man after two weeks of being with him so often.

I was really open to this storyline, but I think they've already handled it badly. Christian's attitude the morning after was sad considering the growth he had been experiencing lately, while Liz's yelling was a little cringe-inducing. For such an important story, I think it should always be handled as heavy and dramatic, not the way it was written here. But, for what it's worth, I haven't completely written the story off as stupid. Yet.

I hated the Kimber scene. While I get what she meant about karma, and in some respects it could be true, I really disliked that she ridiculed Christian's scar. Especially considering she was hacked to shreds four years ago and endured nothing but love and sympathy from him. Kimber's my favorite character, but I'm really finding it hard to defend this new "incarnation". Ever since she hooked up with Ram, she's been nothing but a vapid, cruel shrew. And not in a fun way, either. The writers need to make her sympathetic again, or at least allow her to grow and mature.

The Shelly subplot just grossed me out. That kind of hillbilly, freaky-looking vibe from them wasn't fun, and the scene where Tracy was going down on Raj was just nasty. There's a fine line between "funny" gross and "plain gross" gross, and this story unfortunately fell in the latter category. Same with the Daphne reveal. It was obvious from her first sex scene with Sean that she had a certain, ahem, "maternal" vibe, and I can't help but feel that it was just Nip/Tuck pushing the envelope (and, in this case, an envelope that's already been pushed on numerous other shows) with no real point. Even the references to Sean "acting like a baby" in regards to lying about his wheelchair needs just came across ham-fisted. Lazy metaphors, writers.

While I'm enjoying the continued dedication to Sean and Christian's relationship, this episode for the most part just squicked me out and angered me in equal measure.

Director: Richard Levine

Writers: Lyn Greene, Richard Levine

Rating: Dmoreless

Things are getting back to abnormal

By mattsafreak, Jan 14, 2009

I thought this episode was a baby step back in the right direction. I thought Sean was going to keep up his charade of needing the wheelchair for a few more episodes, but Im glad he isnt. It was hilarious when Sean stumbled up out of bed in a diaper, of all things. His med student just pushed the wrong button and his reaction was nothing short of hilarious. Ok, enough about Sean for now. I have to say I do feel sorry for Christian and the suffering he is going through. Although he may have deserved some karma, as Kimber stated, he didn't deserved to get rolled by the hooker. I felt really bad for him UNTIL he A. Slept with Liz and B. Rubbed her face in it in front of Raj and Sean. That was vintage Christian we were seeing, heartless b*stard to the core. I loved the scene with Raj in the mens bathroom when he finds out his conquest was a dude...priceless! All in all this was a good episode and it makes me want more which is a BIG step up from the first part of the season (last year)moreless