Showtime Renews Nurse Jackie for Season 7, Ahead of the Season 6 Premiere

By Tim Surette

Mar 31, 2014

If you're one of those worrywarts who can't get excited for Nurse Jackie's upcoming sixth season because you're fretting about it being the Showtime series' last, relax! Showtime has ordered a seventh season of the comedy, ensuring that the series will run through at least 2015. The cable network did not announce an episode count for Season 7, but based on the show's history, 10 or 12 episodes is a good bet.

Nurse Jackie stars Edie Falco as the titular nurse, a recovering drug addict (as of Season 5) who works at a New York emergency center. According to Showtime, the series averaged 3.13 million viewers across all platforms in Season 5, a 14-percent increase over the previous year. 

But the renewal comes with an injection of bad news: Series regular Peter Facinelli, who plays Dr. Fitch Cooper, won't be back for Season 7, as he's leaving the show at his own request. He could still appear in a few episodes, however. In the meantime, Facinelli will stick with television and has accepted the lead role in NBC's thriller pilot Odyssey

Nurse Jackie's sixth season will premiere Sunday, April 13 at 9pm on Showtime

• Comments (21)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • wudntulik2know Apr 14, 2014

Wow, a druggie Jackie is a boring Jackie? Who woulda thunk it?

Showtime must be desperate, renewing a dead show.

• Acrobit Apr 01, 2014

Eh, fair enough. If Zoe hasn't gotten me to quit yet, I don't think anything could happen this year to do it. #WhatCouldGoWrong

• rye06p Apr 01, 2014

I'm glad about this, the past two finale's have been wrote as series finales because no one expected the show to come back and it kept on coming.

• mad-pac Mar 31, 2014

I watched this until I realized I kept rooting for Jackie to be caught for her her addiction and punished, but that never happened because she was the hero of the show. She would get away with her habits the most unlikely ways, like when she bags of oxy an unconscious dealer and later he came back to sell her more drugs and be her confidant or something, or when she stole some patches from a bag a nurse was carrying then the nurse also stole some, took all the blame and got fired, not her. So I lost interest. She had to be exposed. And she was too bossy and unlikable.

• Acrobit Apr 01, 2014

Sounds like you missed the part where she got caught for her addiction (cheating included) and punished. Dunno when you expected the hero of the show to stop doing the exact premise of the show, but here, it took about three years.

• mickvernon98 Jun 16, 2014

"Punished" but still using. So, the question is, for how much longer can they continue showing the same old, same old with Jackie using everyone she comes in contact with? It is getting redundant. Very, VERY redundant. Worse, WAY too black-hearted to enjoy any longer. End it because there's nothing left to tell.

• Acrobit Jun 19, 2014

She's still using, but she didn't use the entire time. She went about a year and a half (maybe just a year) before she returned to type. It's like the other guy, where I don't know how long you expected her to go without returning to the premise of the show. Jackie definitely sucks, but this isn't Cougar Town, where they base a show on a stupid concept that most women dislike. This isn't stupid, it's just an awful reality...that many women dislike.

As far as nothing left to tell, that's only (mostly true) for Jackie, and it's not all about her. Her annoying daughter joining her off the wagon is acceptably interesting, and I like how they're going to bounce off each other. Coop and Blonde Doctor are pretty good together and separately. I even like Eddie and the sponsor. So I still have more than enough going on even while hating the main character. I hated Walt in Breaking Bad (stupid because invincible), Ted Mosby in HIMYM (douchey), J.D. in Scrubs (douchey and stupid on a dime), Olivia in Scandal (whiny, over-the-top)...

And as far as 'how much longer' goes, I think there's enough going on for season 7, but I have no idea what they could do after that. Outside of comedies, I can't think of a single show that really needed more than six years, this one included. Even Smallville could've cut a good four years out. At least with Nurse Jackie, I don't think it should be one of these last two.

• mad-pac Apr 01, 2014

I just watched season 1.

• ben45tpy Mar 31, 2014

This is still on?

• Carla-Wexler Apr 01, 2014

Yes and still going strong. It's actually better than a lot of shows out there, . lol

• wudntulik2know Mar 31, 2014

Yay, yippie. Excellent news.

Dog knows there is nothing else on cable television. Anyone worth anything is on the pay channels. Bastards get you to pay and pay again, lest you are content with the moronic stupidity of BBT.

• Ian281099 Mar 31, 2014

As long as Zoe stays in the show, I'll keep on watching it.

• mickvernon98 Jun 16, 2014

Except the show is called Nurse Jackie, NOT Nurse Zoe. Nurse Zoe MIGHT be worth another season to see what happens to her. Nurse Jackie? Been there, done that. She's used others, she's relapsed. She's whored herself out for drugs, she's ruined her daughter. She's alienated her friends. The story has been told; all except for her (long awaited) death. That's worth an episode, not a new season. The fact is that Showtime has nothing more so they HAVE to keep it going. Sad, really, and a disservice to a fine concept and and excellent show that's being mauled by greedy suits.