Oban Star-Racers

Show Reviews (19)

Great

How to f*** up an ending

By DanteAlberti, Jul 27, 2012

Quick Summery of the Series: (SPOILERS!!!)

Okay, so it starts out a rebellious teen breaks out of a boarding school to meet her dad, who promptly doesn't recognize her, and follows him into space to enter a race featuring aliens from all over the galaxy, who are all trying to win "The Ultimate Prize", which is just a wish. So the girl enters to bring her mom back to life, replacing their original pilot who is somehow hot no matter what gender you think he is (and is the most interesting character in the show, so it's disappointing that he leaves halfway through). The team's gunner Whathisface has a crush on the main character, unfortunately for him, she has a crush on an alien Prince who is much more interesting than him. So they (Team Earth) make it to the end only to discover that they don't actually get a wish granted if they win, they just become God for 10,000 years. But the evil, insane God from 20,000 years prior, comes out of eternal confinement to try to become God again and destroy the universe. So the boring gunner dude becomes God, the main character's Dad (who is a TERRIBLE father btw) reunites with his daughter (who he abandoned 10 years ago like a douche), the main character gets with neither guys, and they all go back to their normal lives (besides the gunner dude who's god now). And in a last-ditch-effort to try and make me dislike this series, the new God Whatshisface not only DOESN'T bring back the main character's mother (you know, the entire reason he even MET her), but he also saves Earth from destruction by trapping millions of humans and bad-guy aliens in space to apparently starve to death.

Review:

So all in all this show had a really interesting story, which hooked me from the beginning and never let go. Though near the end it began to weaken as they tried to desperately shoe-horn this whole "winner becomes God" storyline at the last minute. It also didn't help that Rick, the 8 foot tall transvestite ace pilot-turned-coach-turned-alien vagrant, was BY FAR the most interesting character in the series, and yet permanently leaves at the halfway point, leaving Molly (the main character) in the spot of "Most interesting". As you can most likely tell, I DID NOT enjoy the ending, but I VERY MUCH enjoyed the beginning and middle, and the action throughout the series was excellent as well, and I recommend this series if you're bored.moreless

one of the best shows shown on TD.

By wolfgirl135, Apr 03, 2008

this show was about a a teenage girl who wanted to impresse her father but he had tried to forget her. he did not even reconise her when they met and it was a long time befor he even knew that she had runaway from the bording school he had dumped her off at when she was four and she was now 15! the resoin he did that was because she reminded him of her mother who had died in a reck in a race and he felt like he had let her drown he started drinking and did not want to risk losing his daughter as well so he left her at a bording school without letting her know the resion why he did. then when she gets up the courage to run away she goes to him to try and get him to be a father once agian and he does in the end recionse her and relise what he had done was wrong and gets her out of the bording school. and they live in happenss but she has her mothers sprit and loves to race and belives that she can win if they can still fly.moreless

Best Jetix show made.

By I_Smash_You_Bro, Nov 01, 2007

A girl goes to a planet Oban To bring her mom back to life.her dad doesn't know she is alive. And the race aliens wow aliens holy $hit.Her raceing partner loves her and she loves an alien that shoots arrows and rides a giant bug.she doesn't bring her mom back the ending sucks just make up your own like she Brought back her mom she maries that one guy in 9 years and everything turns out great but that doesn't happen cause that one guy becoes the avatar. oh well that ends this awful review watch the show to judge it for you self .moreless

Oban Star-Racers is a curious toon:have a script very better than the look,too many stylized.Poor,really,poor.

My score to the script is 8.To the look,only 4.

By Kitsune58, Jul 04, 2007

Eva/Molly is a complex character,with rich inside life.At same time,is(unfortunally)one of the uglyest girls that I saw in a toon!However,it´s a tiny detail,comparative with the problems around the toon´s show at Brazilian TV,by Jetix channel:when arrived on the chapter 18(Monstruous like Muir)the show goes back to the first chapter!It happen not one but FIVE or SIX times(In fact,I lose the score!)In NONE this times,were shown the last episodies,with the serie´s ending.To make the matters worst,after all this reruns,Oban Star-Racers was cancelled here.Consequence:on Brazil nobody knows how the serie´s end!And of course,read the episodies´s briefly on this site,never will be the same thing that see them at TV.The problem becomes even more irritative and critical when you remember that the Jetix is a cable channel,that you must PAY to see!moreless

it's just about a girl who lost her mother and is going to look for her dad, when she finds his dad she will see that he isn't what she expected and she did't dear to tell her dad that she was his daughter and so on...

By bladelg, Jun 09, 2007

This serie is just fun to watch, it's what I call a timekiller becose you watch it and the time is over in a minit, the serie is not that good but if you have seen one of them you wan't to see the rest. the serie was'nt a hit, but there where a few pluspoint's in the serie I think.

I didn't see the end off the serie but if you see the beginning you can tell the end, example.... she wint's at the and or shoose th best option and evrything come to an happy end.. or something like that, you now what I mean.

greets bladelgmoreless

Eva (a.k.a. Molly) goes to her dad's racing company to see him again. An unexpected greeting prompts her to follow him to Alwas and to Oban and gets an experience of her lifetime.

By XiaolinPrincess, May 10, 2007

I used to think that this show would not be interesting. Thanks to my cousin, I love this show! We follow Eva (who is also known as Molly) in her adventures as a temporary (later to be permanent) replacement pilot for the Earth team. She matures throughout the series thanks to Rick (who happens to be one of my favorite characters) and we get to see her interact with Jordan (who is my other favorite character) and the other characters in the series. If you can get Jetix on your TV and you want to see some action in a show, then Oban Star-Racers is the show for you!moreless

One great adventure

By net_mugger, May 10, 2007

OBAN star racers is one of my favourite cartoons. I say it's underapreciated cause all the ppl I know don't like it. Of course you can't force a person to like what you like but still I say OBAN is a great cartoon.

For those who never heard of it you should know it's an interesting adventure game with the main character being a 15 year old girl named Eva. Her mother dies in a suspicious way against Spirit who didn't touched her craft. So as in most competitions there are preliminaries and then finals. So this are like 2 big chapters. The preliminaries beeing the beggining and the finals the end.

For those who say this show is a crap you should see more episodes. It's hard for me to belive that you can't like it at all. After all is a combination between adventure, sports, drama and also SF.moreless

Great show! Too bad it was cancelled so soon.

By donsonic, Apr 28, 2007

This was a pretty cool show to watch! Jetix and France 3 did great! Savin Yeatman-Eiffel (bad spelling), the creator did a fantastic job on this show! I love the American and French opening but my favorite is the Japanese opening. This show was addicting and it's hard to let go of such a cool show. It's too bad it was cancelled so soon! I wish they had more seasons! For example, the second season would be about saving Jordan cuz Toros came back and Molly and the gang had to do a series of races and such to save him! BRING IT BACK!!!!moreless

It boils down to this- you NEED to watch Oban Star-Racers.

By Tekirai, Apr 07, 2007

...I totally didn't steal that from a Gamespot review for MGS2. Honest. >_>;

Now, let's take a lookie at Oban Star-Racers. At first glance, I didn't like the look of it. Commercials these days don't do very good jobs, do they? To me, I saw spaceships. 'Kay. Then I saw racing spaceships. 'Kay? Aaand then I heard Jetix UK's version of the plot summary. Not 'kay. They did a bad job of it. So I did what I do with every uninteresting show I hear about- ignore it. xD;;

That was back in October '06. At the time of writing it's April '07. My friend Cheese had seen OSR on the TV schedule and asked me 'have you seen that before?', as it looked like anime and she thought I knew about it. I shrugged and said 'I don't know that much about it, from what I know it sucks'. The next day she came running to me saying things like 'Oban is so AWESOME!' and 'You've gotta watch it!'. Now, Cheese is easily amused, so I had my doubts at first. I saw it on the other night and thought I'd give it a go. It was The Origin of the World I think, episode 19. I spent most of my time oohing at the pretty graphics, 'cause they are. I had absolutely no clue as to what the story was about, except that Cheese said Don Wei was Molly's dad and she saw the episode where they finally talk about it, but I still enjoyed it. I couldn't wait to see the next one, and I did. And the next. And the- well, the next one airs tonight. Unfortunately in the span of three days I've watched the entire series. xD;; And I don't regret it one bit. What was I thinking, saying this show looked stupid? It's frigging brilliant! Expect nothing less from Japan, creator of hundreds of great anime shows and France, creator of one of my favourite shows Code Lyoko!

The plot focuses on a 15-year-old girl named Eva who is living in a boarding school in... er, somewhere. Apparently, her dad is the manager of a famous racing team for star-racers. Star-racers are basically spaceships that... uh, race. (I'm not good at this reviewing stuff... TT_TT) He hasn't spoken to Eva since she first came to the school, only 4 at the time. Eva eventually runs off and finds him again and becomes his mechanic under the name Molly, as Don Wei didn't recognise her. Eventually the President- ooh, the president!- wants Don Wei to enter the great race of Oban, an intergalactic race in the middle of the Milky Way. He goes there with champion star-racer Rick Thunderbolt, two ace mechanics Stan and Koji and the best gunner (Star-racers have a little pod with guns at the side. Guess what the gunners do with those.) he could find, Jordan. On the way to the vessel that took them to the first planet the races take place on, surprisingly NOT Oban, Eva/Molly sneaks on board. Don Wei can't just kick her back to Earth, so she stays with them on... whatever the planet was called. I forget. Eventually she becomes the pilot (not really a spoiler, it's pretty obvious) and they race and stuff. Not bad at all for a plotline.

The art and music are really well done in OSR. Sav! The World Productions weren't kidding when they said they wanted to pay extra attention to detail. And the opening/ending songs are beautiful... oh, wait, hold on. From what I can gather, America, Japan and Europe all got different opening sequences. Um. Right. Dang, that just made things harder. Well, Japan got a Japanese song for their opening, America got an English song completely unrelated to Japan's, France got one similar to Japan's and what seems like the north of Europe got the Japanese opening song remixed. Which sounds absolutely amazing- my favourite out of them all. To think the UK was lucky enough to get it- it usually gets the brunt of everything these days. I say northern Europe because it seems Norway and Poland get it too.

The characters are nicely done as well, as do the star-racers. You can't go wrong with a cast that ranges from a human teenage girl to a pink squid/alien with tentacles. None of the characters have noses, but you get used to that. If you've been watching a long range of anime and shows like Code Lyoko, you get used to things like that. (Big... foreheads... 0_0) I really like Eva's design- the star on one cheek and the stripe on the other look really cute, as do the goggles and her clothes in general. Can't say the same about her chestular area, but I won't go into that. xD *cough* I like her mom better though, and you might see why when you see her when I describe Eva so positively. Don Wei just needs a hug, I think. And an aspirin. Gotta love the guy, you can understand him better when you watcher later episodes. Jordan just freaking pwns, period. I dunno why, I just like him. xP He has some pretty funny lines, and the ending... well, the ending. The star-racers are nice to look at, as you find different ones from everyone in the series. Same goes for the environments. Wonderful to look at. Haven't seen a better mix of 3-D and 2-D since Code Lyoko.

I'm getting closer to 1000 words, so I better stop. x_X Oban Star-Racers is a prime example of what animation and clever planning can do. There's never a dull moment with this series, and you have my word on that one. It's a short series with only 26 episodes, but every one is worth it. Just wait 'til you see the ending. Boy, will you be surprised. I even cried because it was so beautiful and... unexpected. People cry at unexpected things too, y'know.

Lovers of anime and Code Lyoko, you MUST try Oban Star-Racers. Don't make the same mistake I did and push it to one side if you don't like the sound of it.

... dang, 1028 words. Better stop now. Nyaha. x3 -walks away singing A Chance to Shine, the Japanese theme-moreless

I thought it was crappy, but know I think it's fabulous!

By fgurakid, Jan 03, 2007

I never thought I'd live the day when I started watching this. I thought it was a really stupid show, until there was the Sunday back-to-back episode run. Then I started getting an interest. My brother (24 year-old) switches the channel to Nickelodeon every time there was the commerical for this show, because he knew I hated it. He doesn't know I like it now!

It was until recently that I actually started liking this show. As I classified it, I have a Guilty Pleasure in it. I've seen most of the episodes on YouTube.com and now get it's gist and pleasure out of it actually streams out from the TV/Computer screen! It's unbelievable how a show can get you on it like that!moreless

Load More Reviews