News Briefs: Once Upon a Time Is Adding Three Frozen Characters

By Tim Surette

Jun 10, 2014

SYNERGY NEWS

... I haven't seen this Frozen movie that's all the rage among 10-year-olds and some people whose judgement I question, but apparently it's huge, so naturally Once Upon a Time is milking it, seeing as how Disney and ABC are part of the same mega-corporate family. The fairy-tale drama is in the process of casting a trio of characters from the movie, including Queen Elsa, her sister Anna, and Kristoff. Of course, Oncers got a glimpse at Elsa in OUAT's Season 3 finale, so that part shouldn't be much of a surprise. Who would you cast as the trio? [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... George Clooney is getting into television! Sort of. Clooney's Smokehouse Pictures, which he runs with Grant Heslov, has signed an overall deal with Sony Pictures TV, and Smokehouse will produce and develop drama and comedy series for Sony. Finally, Clooney gets his big break! [Deadline]

... Sunday's broadcast of the Tony Awards on CBS drew 7 million viewers and a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demo, which broke even with last year's event in total viewership but fell in the ratings, meaning the Tonys' native audience is just getting older and young'uns do not appreciate the art of the stage. [TV Line

... Comedy Central is debuting its new stand-up show The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail on Wednesday, July 23 and HOO BOY look at the comics it's got lined up to make you laugh: Weird Al Yankovic, Marc Maron, Steve Agee, TJ Miller, Rob Huebel, Paul Scheer, Nick Offerman, Adam Scott, Anders Holm, Doug Benson, Jenny Slate, Kyle Kinane, Jim Gaffigan, and MORE. For those who don't live in the Los Angeles area, The Meltdown is one of the premiere stand-up showcases in Tinseltown, and is hosted by Jonah Ray and Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley). [Splitsider]

... Here's your Sutton Foster fix for the day. Behold the new trailer for TV Land's Younger, about a woman who poses as a 20-something gal and asks old-woman questions like, "What's LOL?" 

... If you're still holding out hope that Fox's romantic comedy Us & Them—the comedy based on the U.K. show Gavin & Stacey and starring Jason Ritter and Alexis Bledel—would eventually make it to your TV screen even though the series was shelved, it's time to give up. The six episodes that Fox produced will never air, despite initial thought that they might surface sometime this summer. [TV Line]

CASTING NEWS

... James Tupper has been promoted to series regular for the fourth season of ABC's Revenge. The actor, who also starred on Men in Trees and most recently appeared on Resurrection, plays David Clarke, a man who was presumed dead but, as of the Season 3 finale, is very much alive. Will his presence interfere with Emily's plan for REVENGE? Will this show go on for 23 seasons of revenge planning? [TV Line]

... Lifetime's Whitney Houston biopic has found its lead. Yaya DaCosta, a former contestant on America's Next Top Model, will play the singer and eventual drug addict which still makes me sad today. I remember slow-dancing with Molly Jenkins to "Greatest Love of All" at my junior high school prom, and I can still remember her telling me, "Get your hands off me, creep." Ahh, memories. [TV Line]

... A&E's adaptation of The Returned is putting together a pretty impressive cast. (It still won't be as good as the awesome original French series, though.) Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Smashed) has joined the Carlton Cuse project and will play Rowan, a woman who never quite got over the death of her musician boyfriend, even though 10 years have passed. Also joining the show are Sandrine Holt (Hostages) as Julie (Victor's pal from the original) and Agnes Bruckner (24) as the sheriff's deputy. A&E hasn't set a premiere date for The Returned, which is set in a small town that's shaken up when the dead return to life, but the network has ordered 10 episodes. [Deadline]

... John Doman (The WirePerson of Interest) is joining Showtime's steamy drama The Affair, which stars Dominic West (another Wire alum! McNulty and Rawls, together again!), Joshua Jackson, Ruth Wilson, and Maura Tierney as a pair of couples whose relationships are impacted by some extramarital straying. Doman will play Tierney's father. [Deadline]

SAD NEWS

... British comedic actor Rik Mayall passed away suddenly at the age of 56 in his home in London. Mayall was best known as anarchist Rick from the 1980s landmark British comedy The Young Ones, and also appeared in Blackadder. Stateside, he played Phoebe Cates' rowdy imaginary friend in the movie Drop Dead Fred. [BBC]

RECENT STORIES YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... MTV renewed its fake-lesbian drama Faking It for a second season.

... Seriously, you HAVE to watch this Season 2 trailer for Netflix's Hemlock Grove. Just don't eat while you do. 

... And if you're still in the trailer mood, why not take a look at the newest trailer for HBO's The Leftovers? It's confusing.

... And if you can stomach one more trailer, check out the full trailer for Teen Wolf Season 4, which features at least one very good-looking shirtless hunk

... I reviewed the first six episodes of Orange Is the New Black, which is quite good and and also full of boobs.

... Cory reviewed 50 Cent's new Starz drama Power, and found that even though it doesn't do anything all that unique, it's better than you might expect. 

... Comedy Central made some renewal announcements today but if you want to know what they are, you're going to have to click! 

... Did you know that Pedro Pascal, who's currently best known as Game of Thrones' Oberyn Martell, found a new job

• Comments (56)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ben45tpy Jun 14, 2014

R.I.P. Rik! We'll struggle without your genius.

• sdcalikid Jun 11, 2014

I think the person wrote this is just rude and should have kept his personal thoughts to himself, and I wonder how many other rude comments he made in other published pieces and I question his judgement.

• Writerpatrick Jun 11, 2014

Disney is using Agents of SHIELD to promote it's Marvel merchandise, and it's using Once Upon A Time to promote it's Disney Princesses merchandise. What's next, Name that Disney Tune?

• Prsnl_Stylst Jun 10, 2014

I'd cast no one as the Frozen characters. This is crazy.... I don't even know the premise. I keep reading comments saying "I'll have to watch the movie," so clearly a lot of people don't know the premise.

IMO, when OUAT is at its best, they take well-known characters and put their own spin on it. I'll continue watching, but I probably won't be studying up on Frozen to prep.

• mad-pac Jun 10, 2014

Younger seems to be a really idiotic show. I mean, does she drink a youth serum to be mistaken for someone in her 20s? Is everybody mentally defective? Is she pretending to be someone who suffers from progeria? The show already starts in a bad place if the premise doesn't make sense at all.

• Ankh49 Jun 10, 2014

Guess I'll have to watch Frozen before the next season starts.

• jokers_revenge Jun 10, 2014

Personally, not really looking forward to the Frozen storyline. I mean, the movie was okay but it seems ABC and OUAT are just grabbing onto Frozen because it's really popular now.....Sometimes popular isn't always best, sometimes it's just too much and you oversaturate the audience and people loose interest.

I didn't know who Rik Mayall was until you mentioned Drop Dead Fred. Such a funny movie!

The Returned, which is set in a small town that's shaken up when the dead return to life,
    don't we already have this show? isn't it called Ressurection?...

• JT_Kirk Jun 10, 2014

The Meltdown takes place in my comic shop, or should I say, my former comic shop because the place has become a haven for everything BUT comic books - they have art shows and they make custom printed T-shirts on a press in the front and they have baby clothes. I remember when they where just friggin' comics and collectibles across the street, now they think they're special. They have more fliers for events than back-issues.

That said, great lineup and of course I'll watch. :-P

• littlebitliz Jun 10, 2014

I'm really not sure how I feel about Frozen characters in OUAT this season. On the one hand, I love Frozen, but on the other hand, I've been really cynical and annoyed lately by OUAT's sellout to Disney/network execs, who seem to have completely taken over the show and turned it into one big Disney commercial.

• tnetennba Jun 10, 2014

I was a huge fan of The Young Ones when I was 12-13. They only made 12 episodes, but I watched all of them at least 3-4 times, and some of them a lot more. I think I watched at least one episode more than 20 times.

• See More Comments (15)