Theory on Pan's Origins

By leighwalsh5

Nov 09, 2013

I'm going to have a good stab at Pan's origins.

One of the most important things to remember is when Tinkerbell was told it was her "second chance", implying she messed up before. A lot of people think Pan might have been the time she had previously messed up, explaining why she'd have reason to end up back in Neverland(timeline wise, I think she'd already met Peter due to it being not long before the curse, but I'm not sure). I think this could be it too, but I have more to add onto it.

Another theory I've seen is that the Blue Fairy opposed Nova and Dreamy/Grumpy's love because of some horror that had happened in the past as a result of this type of relationship. Many have speculated that Pan might be some sort of Fairy/Human Hybrid, a reference to the fact that he looks elf-like in many depictions.

Another component I want to add to the mix is that there was a casting call for a one "Violet". Some assumed it to be Tinkerbell from the description, but there is nothing violet about her and I don't believe it matches the description that well. It says she was to become a recurring character in episode 3x03. However, I think that it's possible her scene was removed for reasons I'll get onto later.

Some people have theorised that the Sleeping Beauty Fairies may be represented by Tinkerbell and the Blue Fairy - as they are Green and Blue, so we're lacking a Red Fairy, but this isn't relevant right now. What's important to remember is the fourth Fairy, Maleficent/Carabosse. In the original tale, she was described as a Wicked Fairy. One of the things that got in the way of this theory was the lack of wings or well, general Fairyness, but we've seen how fairy magic can be taken away from people. By doing this, they can have their wicked Fairy, but also their wicked witch as she would have had to relearn magic.

I think there was a purpose to showing us Maleficent's castle in the last episode of Wonderland, to show she collects all kinds of magical artefacts and has deeper connections than we first realised. Likely, the Dragon transformation is an artefact of how she got her powers back.

Here's what I think happened. At some point, Aurora's mother is born. Maleficent curses her due to being excluded from the party. New Recruit Tinkerbell, The Blue Fairy and the Red Fairy eventually manages to reverse the curse and forgives Maleficent(her own "first chance"), but Aurora Sr. sleeps for 100 years.

Eventually Tinkerbell ends up being friends with Maleficent. Much like with Regina - she takes pity on her, and wants to fix her problems with Twu Luv. Against the Blue Fairy's suggestion, she finds that Maleficent's true love is a human and tries to set the two of them up. Unfortunately, the True Love is Rumple's father, Colin, who just lost his wife(much like how Regina lost her love). Colin ends up running away with her. Going against all reasonable expectations, they end up having a child, a half-breed. Colin, being a coward, ends up running out on Maleficent, leaving her to care for the child on her own.

At this point the Blue Fairy finds out about this and is livid. Maleficent convinces her she's changed, and she's a mother now, but the Blue Fairy detects an evil Shadow within the child and strips Maleficent of her wings for bringing such a creature into the world. She punishes Tinkerbell by sending her to care for the child in Neverland, where he will be of no danger to anyone. Maleficent becomes an old crone in her castle with only her pet Unicorn for company - her lamenting loneliness in the first episode makes all the more sense in this context, plus their connection with Tinkerbell, as she had a hand in creating both the big witches(a bit like she messes stuff up in the Tinkerbell movies). At some point, she collects artefacts like the Looking Glass that allow her to see her Son. Pan eventually finds a way to sneak off Neverland, and ends up meeting Rumple at some point in the past(seeking out his family), then again with Baelfire.

This takes us up to the 1900s or so when Peter Pan occurs, then Tinkerbell being stripped of her wings for *beep* up again, then Maleficent's revenge(not how they haven't actually *done* Sleeping Beauty yet despite it being such a huge thing - there must be a reason for this) then the rest of the stuff.

I think it all ties together nicely. What do you guys think? It explains where Pan gets his dark powers from(from a Dark Fairy) amongst other things, and the Blue Fairy's reasons for being such *beep*(though I still to think she's masterminding things regardless!)
  • Comments (23)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • lynelltiller Nov 18, 2013

Well, guess we were all wrong...

• leighwalsh5 Nov 18, 2013

I liked my theory better than the one in the show :/

• samanthastevens313371 Nov 14, 2013

violet is a fairy in the spin-off series OuaT:W. You can see her in the second or third episode.

• lynelltiller Nov 11, 2013

I think some of that could be possible. Like someone else way saying, Pan and Rumple are deeply connected and the only way to kill Pan is to kill Rumple. Maybe Pan IS Rumple. And they somehow got split in to two when he was young and Rumple went home to the enchanted forest and Pan stayed in Neverland. Would explain why he knows about the doll being important to Rumple and how he knows eggs in a basket are his favorite and why Rumple can sever his shadow just like Pan. Or maybe they are just twin brothers. IDK!

• Daniel-Jackson Nov 27, 2013

I kind of like your idea of Pan and Rumple being the same person. But too late for that now ;-)

• TeVaerua Nov 15, 2013

The two of them being brothers sounds good. I think they are brothers but maybe only half; same mother but with different fathers.

• reinrose Nov 11, 2013

I love that I'm not the only one who likes to spin OUAT theories. I have one that goes that Maleficent was Morgan Le Fey, who stole Merlin's magic after placing him under a sleeping curse. Merlin became the Red King from Alice's Through the Looking Glass, dreaming worlds like Wonderland and the Enchanted Forest. But the Blue Fairy is scheming to wake him by bringing magic back to the World Without Magic, which would mean destroying his dream worlds in the process, which is why Pan is trying to stop her, and Henry is key somehow.
    Still needs work, but it's fun, isn't it?

• KateSullivan Nov 11, 2013

Hmm...I'm not sure. What I think you need to focus in on as well is that when Peter and Rumple were both about the age Peter appears now, and perhaps for some time before that, were friends. So that was during the first ogre war in the Enchanted Forest. I am not entirely confident on my Grimm/fairy tale knowledge to think of a lot of two boy based stories (and they have already done the prince and the pauper and I have always thought you just retread if you do the man in the iron mask type story) but it has to be a really old tale even at the time of the stories of Snow White et al. The only one I keep thinking about is that two boys were shepherds and they were approached while in a field and one boy got tempted away and one ran away in fear leaving his buddy behind. In some versions, this boy turns into a werewolf who comes back, in some, there is a dark figure called a pooka who might inhabit the boy giving him magic (the dark figure could be the shadows and might fit with this because the pooka is not a bad entity and actually good, but is kind of mischievous).

• Sakura_Kissu Nov 11, 2013

Pfiou huge theory they should hier you for the script !
    Even if I am French I didn't even know that Carabosse was Maleficient, I knew Carabosse since my childhood as I knew Maleficient thanks to Disney....after a wiki search http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fée_Carabosse I learnt it.

That's why I have to really thank you =)

• Ysu73 Nov 11, 2013

Rumple said something interesting in Ariel: "Pan can only be killed by killing him (I mean Rumple)." This is a huge connection between the two. Rumple is manipulative, likes mind-games, make deals, warns the people about the price of their actions, and he certainly plays a long-con to reach his goal (considering she taught Cora magic so one day Regina, Cora's daughter would be the one who can cast the curse to bring him closer to Bae, it is a pretty long-conindeed). And what about Pan? Well, he was shown as manipulative, likes mind-games, make deals, warns people about the price of their actions, and he, too, plays a long con (letting Bae off the island, so he can meet Emma and be the father of Henry?) So they are pretty similar to each other. Also interesting, that what Rumple thought was his inner voice (Belle) was indeed Pan's shadow.
    Rumple also said something about knowing Pan when they were young and then he went t the island to never grow up (I don't remember the exact phrasing). But seeing that little doll and knowing Rumple was abandoned by his father, and also seeing he knows a lot about how Neverland-magic works, I have a feeling, he was here on this island before, as a Lost Boy (but that was before Pan started to collect boys, so probably he was the only one), and from his fears and thoughts and imagination and inner demons Pan was born. Pan is not a real person only on this island. He is a demon, or he is a shadow (and we saw Rumple could severe his shadow from his body and it became a separate being). I think he wants Henry, the truest believer to believe in him, so he can become a real person with an even bigger power.

(English is not my first language, but I hope what I wrote was understandable).

• Lanthias_theShadow Nov 10, 2013

Your theory sounds good!! However, I think that Rumple and Pan are more connected than just friends or chance acquaintances. I think they're family somehow, with the most plausible speculation being that Pan and Rumple are brothers.

To comment on your theory of the fairies from Sleeping Beauty, I would like to see a twist on the Red Fairy and have it really turn out to be Merlin (they've mentioned Camelot and Merlin, we saw Snow pull a fake Excalibur out of a rock...let's do this!!). I do not, for the time being, want them to explore Spamalot Camelot. Three worlds is enough especially since we still haven't explored all of FTL or Neverland (What other fairy tales or lands are incorporated in FTL? Where is the Indian camp and Tiger Lily?).

• MichelleHood24 Nov 09, 2013

The only theory I have is that he is very old because rumple is shit scarred of him as you should also if my memory is correct he new rumple as a child and took him to Neverland. Pan may be from a world we haven't seen before. But hopefully they will explore where he comes from.