BBC America Clones Orphan Black for Season 3, Orders Two New Dramas

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jul 09, 2014

Clone club! Gather all your favorite jello-eating, body-burying, science-loving clones for an epic dance party because BBC America has renewed the critically acclaimed science-fiction drama Orphan Black for Season 3! The network announced the news on Wednesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, so you can finally let out the breath you've been holding since the series hit us with all kinds of new info in the Season 2 finale.

Orphan Black, which stars Tatiana Maslany as several different clones who are working together to uncover the truth behind their biological origins, doubled its ratings from Season 1 to Season 2 according to Live+7 data, with the final episodes of the season reaching the number-one spot on iTunes' overall TV episodes chart within 24 hours of their original airings. It's BBC America's second highest rated series in adults 25-54, coming in just behind Doctor Who Season 7. Look for Season 3 to debut in early 2015.

Also coming out of BBCA's press tour sessions today is the news that the second season of Broadchurch, the award-winning drama starring David Tennant and Olivia Coleman that's currently being remade by Fox under the title of Gracepoint, will make its U.S. debut in early 2015. 

And on the new series front, the network has announced two new dramas: Tatau and The Last Kingdom. The former comes from the makers of Being Human and follows two twenty-somethings, Kyle and Budgie, who depart from London to travel the world. Upon their arrival in the South Pacific, Kyle is unsettled by the natives' reaction to one of his tattoos, as it clearly has a significance he is unaware of. After discovering the body of a dead girl while snorkeling only to have it magically disappear when the police arrive, he begins to believe that he can see the future. 

The Last Kingdom is a historical series from the producers of Downton Abbey. Set in England in 872, the series follows the heroic deeds and epic battles of the kingdom of Wessex under the command of King Alfred the Great, and will combine real historical figures and events with fictional characters.

• Comments (43)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • samanthawesley108 Jul 19, 2014

I have to wait to 2015!!!! /sobs/

• MarlboroMagpi Jul 10, 2014

Great News for OB. For those interested, here are some updates for season three.

Updates for SEASON THREE

• missjudgment Jul 10, 2014

Yay, Orphan Black. It was pretty certain to happen but still: yay.

• KiowaWoolley Jul 10, 2014

OMFG YES!!! THE LAST KINGDOM! ALL HAIL! Bernard Cornwell books are finally coming to tv (well except for that British Sharpe series which really needs redone). The Last Kingdom books are fantastic and are just dying for a tv show. In truth I think Cornwell is a better writer than George Martin, and this should most definately be epic. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

• missjudgment Jul 10, 2014

But there can't be a better Sharpe than Sean Bean!

very true. I do think however, that giving the series a tv reboot would be wonderful. Hell theres 23+ books, and they could pretty much do 1-2 books a season, if they were 10-13 episodes long. With a good budget and cast it would be epic! then again any bernard cornwell series would be. Ive been screaming around here for ages that someone needs to adapt his works to tv. 'Vikings' felt very Cornwellish, but now to have the real thing! WWHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! His Excalibur/Arthur trilogy would make epic cinema as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Kingdom-Saxon-Chronicles-Series/dp/0060887184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1404992481&sr;=8-1&keywords;=The+Last+Kingdom

• CherokeeRose4 Jul 10, 2014

Can finally breathe! Let the long wait resume for new episodes next Spring.

Having seen the preview for "Gracepoint" several times...I think I would rather watch the first season of the original again. Good to know there will be a S2 of "Broadchurch" and looking forward to it.

• ludoTV Jul 10, 2014

Yay Orphan Black coming back for a 3rd season!!! In the dearth of good sci-fi light/fantasy shows of any quality around, this is fantastic news!

Tatau sounds mildly promising. On the other hand a show set in 872... Geez, thanks but not thanks between wigs and lack of hygiene, those medieval shows suck...

read the Last Kingdom books, you will change your mind. Its somewhat of a mix of vikings, Game of Thrones and...anything else awesome

• ludoTV Jul 10, 2014

OK point taken - I should not fall prey to prejudices... maybe I'll give it a shot then... After all what is one more pilot to check out...

Becuase of the era it takes places and just the pronunciations in general, id suggest the audio books (they are avaiable of no charge if you can operate torrent sites). Listen to the first one and youll be hooked on cornwell forever. My only concern is they wont have the budget to do it justice:

In the middle years of the ninth-century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

Its a 6-7 book series currently and there is a lot of adventure, romance, backstabbing, and very violent battles. I for one, am so excited that Im actually on tv.com for more than 5 minutes, which is saying something considering their abysmall coverage lately.

• DavidKnowles0 Jul 10, 2014

Good news about Orphan Black.

King Alfred the Great, will finally be the BBC attempt at doing something similar to GoT that they been talking about wanting to do for a while. It should be great show to watch.

Interesting to see where they take Tatau.

• ben45tpy Jul 10, 2014

Well that's a relief. Now I can stop be depressed and start looking forward to male clone/military shenanigans.

• current Jul 10, 2014

Great news for my fave schizophrenic show!
    It'll be interesting to see the Fox version Gracepoint in the Fall - assuming it has enough differences for interests' sake.
    Let's trust that King Alfred the Great's show burns hotter than his cakes!
    Tatau sounds like some short story that an exec' got carried with.

• shae_SA Jul 10, 2014

By fucking time! Yes, Orphan Black.

• See More Comments (15)