Orphan Black "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things" Review: Luck Versus Karma

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 01, 2014

Orphan Black S02E07: "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things"

Since its earliest beginnings, Orphan Black has been a study of opposition. Sarah versus Beth. Science versus religion. Nature versus nurture. Comedy versus drama. And while we weren't always aware of it, we've been watching The Leekie Versus Dyad Show for a few weeks now—though "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things" brought that chapter of Orphan Black to a close when Donnie accidentally murdered Leekie just moments after Rachel had spared his life. Was Leekie's death bad luck, or was it the handiwork of that fateful bitch named karma? 

From the moment he was introduced in Season 1, Dr. Aldous Leekie was a man of mystery (no, not like that other guy). He was a scientist with power and influence thanks to his position within Dyad and his history with the cloning experiment, but we were never able to predict his moves because he always had his own agenda involving the clones. But it's become increasingly clear over the course of Season 2 that Leekie wasn't necessarily the master of his own design. 

Rachel told Paul in "Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est" that her role in the Dyad Group technically outranked Leekie's as the director of the Dyad Institute. If we want to look at this another way, Rachel personifies the business side of things while Leekie personifies the science side, and the two were locked in a mostly silent battle until Rachel's boss Marian Bowles—played to perfection by the always wonderful Michelle Forbes—stepped in this week with the double-cross. Rachel had the opportunity to meet with her father thanks to Mrs. S and Paul's fluid allegiances, and even after learning the truth about Leekie's involvement in her mother's death, she still chose to let him live rather than standing by and allowing Marian's plan to get rid of Leekie to play out. "It's foolish to spare you, but you raised me," she said without a hint of emotion. "Nurture prevails." 

Nurture may have won this round, but Rachel's cold exterior belies little evidence that Leekie actually meant anything to her. In fact, rather than sadness, I'd almost call Rachel's demeanor one of disgust, probably over what she perceives to be a weakness. But this entire exchange goes deeper than just the Rachel and Leekie relationship, and it raises one very important question in the overall mythology of Orphan Black: Was Leekie ever really the threat we thought he was? 

I'm inclined to say no, that Leekie was just another pawn in this ever-expanding game of chess, but I also don't want to discredit everything that's happened so far just because Leekie was eliminated from the game by someone as ignorant as Donnie, a man who thought he was participating in a long-term sociology study and had no idea his wife was a clone. Orphan Black takes great pleasure in addressing the duality of human nature, and it's never once pretended to exist in a world drawn only in black and white. Instead, the series chooses to live in the fringes—not just of science, but of morality. This theme has been present throughout the series, which is why I found myself feeling conflicted during that final scene between Leekie and Rachel. Leekie wasn't necessarily evil, or completely evil—just like Rachel, just like Helena, and just like every single other character we've come across so far (except maybe Tomas, which would explain why he's now dead).

It's true that Leekie was a villain in the true sense of the word; he was often at odds with the clones, and he procured the tooth Kira lost when she was hit by a car, which is how the Dyad Institute acquired her stem cells that were used to treat Cosima. But he wasn't a villain for just for the sake of being a villain. On Orphan Black, there's always something bigger, something more dangerous and mysterious looming up ahead, and although Leekie wasn't a member of the Clone Club, he did have a vested interest in its members' wellbeing, which sometimes gave off the appearance of an alliance. 

Without Leekie, what will become of the clones now? What does his death mean for Cosima? Will her treatments continue? She was—as I predicted she would be—rightfully pissed at Delphine for neglecting to tell her the truth about the origin of the stem cells used in the treatment, and she even kicked Delphine out of her lab. It was a bit childish, but who hasn't ordered someone out of their private sanctuary for being a big fat liar? Unfortunately, Cosima's still dying, so Kira ripped out her own tooth to help her (that kid is braver than I could ever hope to be). But will Rachel and Marian and the big business of Dyad steamroll Cosima's treatments in another ploy to get to Sarah and Kira? With Leekie out of the picture, will Marian decide that Sarah's not worth the risk she poses and simply attempt to eliminate her? 

This new development raises so many questions about what we thought we knew and where we thought this season was headed; in fact, it potentially changes the entire trajectory of the story. It seems like such an Orphan Black thing to do in Episode 7 of 10 that I don't even know why I was surprised when the gun went off and Leekie's brain matter splattered onto Donnie's car windows. 

Perhaps it was because most of the hour was one of Orphan Black's funnier outings? The quick shift in tone practically gave me whiplash.

Prior to the Rachel and Leekie interaction that set off the final few moments of "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things," I thought this review would be full of praise for the return of the hilarious comedy stylings of Alison and Felix. That, plus a big round of applause for the episode finally giving us what I believe was the first interaction between Sarah and Alison we've seen all season. Orphan Black has purposefully kept the clones apart this season, giving each one her own storyline, but it looks like they're finally coming together just in time for a spectacular final arc. And someone somewhere must have been reading my diary, because the series even took  things one step further and gave us Sarah pretending to be Alison, which is always a good time.

I should've known better than to think Orphan Black would gift us with a purely comedic episode, but I am definitely grateful it gave us all that it did. Mixing black comedy with Black drama prevents the story from getting too bogged down, and Orphan Black is currently one of the best shows on TV in terms of striking a balance between the two. Leekie's death, while humorous because it was freaking Donnie who took him out, was still a serious-enough development to fill this episode's drama quota, and pairing it with the image of Vic falling headfirst into Alison's craft table—or of Felix lugging an unconscious and glittered Vic through the halls of the rehab facility while trying to hide him from Angie—kept things light. 

The scene with Vic's head bouncing off a wall was equally entertaining, as was Felix's continued annoyance throughout the entire escapade. From "He looks like he was molested by elves" to "Sweet Jesus, I am done with glitter," Felix was back in fine form with the one-liners this week. I much prefer Dry, Sarcastic Felix to Drunk, Angry Felix. 

It'll be interesting to see how Donnie continues to factor into the series now that he's unintentionally murdered Leekie, and I look forward to finding out whether nurture will continue to prevail, or if nature will make a comeback. Either way, "Knowledge of Causes, and Secret Motion of Things" was a fun ride that ended with an exciting set-up for the final three episodes of the season.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES

– Another win for nurture this week came when Nailgun Ken Paul credited Mrs. S as the person from whom Sarah inherited her "knack for burning things down." It's too bad Sarah still doesn't trust Mrs. S, which is understandable given Sarah's inability to trust people in general, but it's no less frustrating. When is she going to get it through her head that Mrs. S is an asset and on her side? They have the same goal—to keep Kira safe and out of Dyad's hands—so why can't Sarah just accept it and take Mrs. S's help?

– "My father sends his regards" gave me flashbacks to Game of Thrones; if someone doesn't do an Orphan Black/GoT mash-up I'm going to be very sad.

– Cal's going to figure everything out on his own, right? He's a smart-enough guy. He's going to figure everything out and come swooping in a few episodes from now like some old-fashioned hero, RIGHT? 

– "I like pottery." Well, color me surprised, Paul.

– "I can't go to jail, Felix! I don't have the temperament. In the shower, if they touch me, I will cut them!" 

– "No wonder, with those giant banana hands of yours."

– "You selfish manure bag of a man!" 

– No Helena this week. Uh-oh.

• Comments (144)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ElRob Jun 03, 2014

• JohnPeterson5 Jun 03, 2014

I suspect we are all feeling the same thing here, which is that the Pro clones -- by which I mean the clone club and all of its allies ... not Rachel -- actually have a fair bit of strength but for the fact that they are scattered all about, pursuing different aims, and finding it very hard to trust and communicate with one another. How awesome would a team comprised of Art, Cal, Siobhan, Sarah, Cosima, and possibly Paul be? And if they would only allow themselves to be led by the brilliant and precocious Kira? Hell, they would unbeatable. And Felix and Allison could design their uniforms! And bring Helena home ...

Re-watching earlier episodes, I'm struck by how awkward Sarah sometimes seems as she tries to impersonate her clones. I'm tempted to think she's having trouble hiding her British accent until it occurs to me that Tatiana doesn't have a British accent. How does one fake not having a fake accent? It's seems kind of mind bending to me but Maslany pulls it off.

• two4dashow Jun 08, 2014

I noticed that too; and the moment it clicked in my brain as to what she was doing was the moment I was in love with this show and the acting talents of Maslany. Mind bending doesn't even begin to cover it.

• peterspoor33 Jun 03, 2014

Leekie wasn't necessarily evil, or completely evil—just like Rachel, just like Helena, and just like every single other character we've come across so far(except maybe Tomas, which would explain why he's now dead).

Daniel was pretty nasty too, not sure what grey moments he had. :-) That Prolethian leader and the woman/mother who removed Gracie's stitches have yet to convince me of their fuzzy sides as well.

• mcepin3 Jun 03, 2014

I always liked Donnie,but that roleplay thing..I love Donnie now:D

• ABCRobbieB Jun 03, 2014

I had a feeling Donnie was a clueless numpty :-)

Got to love Helena, I think The Hound needs to get her a couple of chickens, the poor girl's starving.

• PeachezFalcon Jun 03, 2014

Mr. and Mrs. Hendrix - the couple of accidental murderers

Another Felix gem: "No, darling, I thinks Sarah's right. This kind of cluelessness can't be faked."

• two4dashow Jun 03, 2014

How has no one (and by " no one" I mean the latest four reviewers and Kaitlin) mentioned the fact that not only were we given Sarah pretending to be Alison, but we were also blessed with Sarah pretending to be Alison pretending to be Donnie. "And I'm being Alison being Donnie?" If that wasn't a major meta moment, I'm not sure what one would look like.

And the look Sarah gives Felix when Vic goes, "Those guys are not you. I'm you." What a loaded line: telling a clone, "I'm you." I swear this show says more in the looks between the characters than it does through its dialogue.

It's just so. damn. good.

• ABCRobbieB Jun 03, 2014

Agreed. Moment of the episode for me.

• ludoTV Jun 02, 2014

Great review and great episode - Orphan Black is in fine form even if Leekie's disappearance casts a doubt about how the science in the show will get explained now? And who will run the monitor team?

• Kira is adorable and brave - That selfless impromptu tooth extraction? Awww....
    • Am I the only one thinking that Kira would have been safer staying with daddy Cal?
    • You'd think it would get repetitive having Sarah pretend she is high pitched Alison and yet, it was hilarious again...
    • I missed Helena... Especially because I worry about what is happening to her at the crazy farmers farm
    • I sniggered when Paul admitted his fondness for pottery - A Ghost fan I detect?
    • I sniggered again when Michelle Forbes character turned out to be called Marian, so close to Maryann that crazy character she played in True Blood Season 3 (just when things started to go to hell)
    • I found it slightly hard to believe Donnie would not suspect anything amiss with the 'social experiment' but at least that opens the door now for his being an ally of the clone team as he could redeem himself?

• Gonzai Jun 03, 2014

Given his pure idiocy and incompetence, would the clones really want Donnie as an ally?

• AmandaJustice Jun 06, 2014

I mean he can stand up to torture so....maybe?

• ludoTV Jun 03, 2014

You got me there! Great point... But Alison and Donnie do seem to love each other and their kids so it does feel as if he'll be on their side... Whether he ends up being an asset or a liability, I am with you, very unclear...

• See More Comments (48)