Orphan Black Promises Tension Between Sarah and Felix, and an "Explosive" Alison in Season 2

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jan 12, 2014

Orphan Black stars Tatiana Maslany and Jordan Gavaris, along with series creator Graeme Manson, took the stage at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour today to discuss Season 2, which premieres April 19 in case you've been living under a rock under a bigger rock under the Atlantic Ocean for the last few months. 

The critically acclaimed first season ended with Sarah discovering that Mrs. S and Kira had been kidnapped, Alison taking the deal from the Dyad Institute, and Cosima finding out that she's suffering from the same mysterious illness that plagued Katja, in addition to learning that the clones are patented. During the panel, critics were treated to the adrenaline-fueled first scene from Season 2, which picks up immediately after the finale, and from the looks of it, Orphan Black has no intention of slowing down anytime soon. 

“We are going to take some risks with our premise and we are going to push, technically, what we’ve done in the first season," Manson said, explaining that when the story picks up, Sarah is reckless in her search for Kira and the truth about her own history, while Alison is facing her own guilt at letting Aynsley die. 

"She's a tense person to begin with," Manson continued. "The secret that she's keeping is really going to eat at her in an interesting way. She's got some explosions coming up." 

Manson also confirmed that he always knew Donnie would be Alison's monitor, but said the way everything eventually played out with Aynsley was not necessarily there from the start. "We have a longterm plan that's pretty elastic conceptually," he said.

As for Cosima—who Manson admitted is his favorite clone (uh, dude, really? I think you meant to say Alison)—she's now facing her own mortality, and going forward, it plays into the story in a big way. "Examining her illness and looking into her own science is part of our mystery," he said. So let's hope Cosima's time spent at the Dyad Institute will give her the opportunity to discover a cure for the illness, because a Cosima-less world is not a happy world.

Speaking of a non-happy world, the relationship between foster siblings Sarah and Felix is going to be tested this season. Gavaris hinted that Felix will be growing as an individual, gaining his own identity, and becoming more than just Sarah's backup or sounding board. He'll also be building relationships and allegiances with other clones (more Felix and Alison, please!). When asked if there's any possibility that other characters might eventually be revealed as clones, Manson shot down the idea, but said that everyone should have a Felix clone. Gavaris joked, however, that "the world can only handle one Felix." 

Truer words have never been spoken.

• Comments (40)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • fujin_mage Jan 29, 2014

I wanna time mashine

• pebermynthe Jan 12, 2014

I cannot wait. I am obsessive about television and have watched beyond too much, but this still might be one of my all-time favorite shows. For a new show with only ten episodes, that's seriously impressive. I cannot wait.

• smokinghole Jan 12, 2014

They are gonna need some new clones at the rate they are killing them off. Allison is the best. Cosima second.

And do we know that Mrs. S was kidnapped? My impression was that she was the one who did the kidnapping.

Oh and I want to see more of "Pro Clone."

I think the key to this might be "Sarah discovering that Mrs. S and Kira had been kidnapped". No matter if they were actually both kidnapped, presumably Sarah's gonna be spending the first few episodes assuming that that's the case, right? I mean, she seems naturally on the suspicious side, but without the photo from her birth-mother and with Helena dead, I seriously doubt that she's paranoid enough to jump straight to "My child has been taken as well as my foster mother who years ago cut all personal ties and moved to a different continent for me, who I've known my entire life and with who I entrusted said child's life and upbringing. She must be the kidnapper".

• smokinghole Jan 13, 2014

Yea I agree that's what Sarah will think. I meant the audience thinks Mrs. S did the kidnapping.

• MandySCG Jan 12, 2014

I hope they don't kill off Cosima! Allison is really my favorite clone, but Cosima is right up there with her in my heart.

• borgsblueyes Jan 12, 2014

I thought Mrs S took Kira either because she is working for DYAD all this time, which would seem a bit odd, or to protect Kira because she obviously knows more than she is letting on.

• lalaforever1989 Jan 12, 2014

My body is ready for this.

• No1Slayerette Jan 12, 2014

I wonder if the writers would be daring enough to kill off Kira?

No way they're killing off Kira. I think. She seems to be Orphan Black's (more charismatic) version of Hera (Athena and Helo's daughter in Battlestar Galactica). With her fast healing after the car accident, her ability to instantly know that Alison was an impostor and with all the other clones unable to have children, I'm betting she's got some kind of significance and that she's sticking around for the foreseeable future. I mean, even if they were gonna kill her, you'd think they'd get some of that stuff out of the way beforehand?

• AnoukvdZee Jan 12, 2014

I don't think so. She will more likely become a huge storyline, considering the attention she has already gotten for being Sarah's offspring.

• flyPBA Jan 12, 2014

Mrs. S and Kira have disappeared ... nothing says that they have been kidnapped ... I was under the assumption that the birth mom was going to expose Mrs. S before crazy stabbed her

• JayAtkinson Jan 12, 2014

Hmm. I'm still going to choose to believe that Felix might turn out to be the male equivalent of Sarah, or part of a clone set all his own. For starters, I just don't see why Mrs. S would go through such trouble to flee to America with Sarah, attempting to escape the reach of the DYAD Institute and its scientists, but take him along unless he was important too. Plus, he seems natural predisposed to get along with every clone he meets. Even Alison almost immediately trusted him and came to use him as a confidante and great friend, as much as Sarah. Because of something similar in all their DNA perhaps?

• QMargo Jan 12, 2014

Aaaa, can't wait for the 2nd season to begin, this show is so awesome, I can't even! Finally, great tv is coming back!

• See More Comments (10)