Starz Renews Outlander for Season 2 After Just One Episode

By Jen Trolio

Aug 15, 2014

Starz isn't planning on hanging up its kilt just yet, and has renewed its freshman drama Outlander less than a week after the show's premiere, the network announced Friday.

The genre-spanning historical fantasy, which is based on Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series of novels, officially debuted Saturday after a week of multi-platform sampling (read: the pilot was available online and on demand). According to Starz, the first episode surpassed five million views in its first week and drew equal male and female viewership. And while early renewals are generally no big deal to the networkOutlander has all the makings of a hit for the premium cable channel.

Outlander's second season will consist of at least 13 episodes and follow the second book (out of eight) in Gabaldon's saga, Dragonfly in Amber. Meanwhile, the first half of the show's 16-episode first season will conclude Saturday, September 27.

Are you excited for more Outlander?

• Comments (52)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • zarkon72 Oct 23, 2014

Pilot was this and that, but i think it grows on you.

• gwenproffitt5 Aug 29, 2014

Stop playing COMING THROUGH THR RYE...that's in Ireland. Gwen Proffitt
    P.S...I found 2 relatives in 1995...VE week..in Menstrie Village, where I was told that i have the sight. I'm ON the 3rd. read through all of the books.

• ionee24 Aug 18, 2014

Wow, that was fast!

Great for them, but incredibly, incredibly fast.

• chriskelaart Aug 17, 2014

Enjoyed the pilot and looking forward to more...

• mcepin3 Aug 16, 2014

I find pilot quite boring and was a drag to get through whole hour of it...so I decided to pass on this show.

• gonzalorr Aug 16, 2014

Well, I did not dislike or like the episode, I just thought it was a very looong and boring one, I hope there's a lot more action? or excitement? in the second one? because that's the last chance I'm gonna give to the show to got me, and that's a lot to say when I usually give to new shows a four episode chance.

• cheriross75 Aug 16, 2014

My husband and I both enjoyed Outlander and are happy it is already Renewed. Neither of us have read the books. We think the casting was spot on, and the cinematography was great.

• didi-at-sea Aug 16, 2014

Finally a network that trusts its product and stands by it!

• nic656 Aug 16, 2014

This is great news. It took me about 10min in on the pilot to know this was going to be my new tv obsession, much like the books were.

• dark7angel Aug 16, 2014

YES!!!!!!!!

• See More Comments (17)