Boo! Showtime Orders an Expanded Second Season of Penny Dreadful

By Tim Surette

Jun 04, 2014

If you're a fan of sexy butt shots from Victorian London, wacky freak-outs that occur around a séance table, and corpses stitched together only to be ripped apart in a waterfall of meat pieces, congrats! Showtime has ordered a second season of its supernatural lollapalooza Penny Dreadful, just four episodes into the series' maiden outing. And Season 2 will feature even more monster-mashing, as the episode count has been upped by two for a total of 10.

Showtime used its official renewal announcement to tout a bunch of odd premium-cable statistics for Penny Dreadful's performance so far. According to the network, the series boasts an average of 4.8 million viewers across all platforms (TV, browser streaming, mobile phone streaming, peeking in someone's windows) and is the most-watched new show on Showtime Anytime, the streaming service that Showtime launched in 2010, which basically means that Penny Dreadful has done better than Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex

I'm an episode behind, but from what I've seen so far, Penny Dreadful is... weird. Its formula of combining some of classic literature's famous monsters and creeps (Frankenstein and his monster, Dorian Grey, vampires, Jack the Ripper maybe) keeps the show chugging along, but some storylines stand out from others for me. I LOVED Proteus, for example, but haven't really clicked with gun-slinging Josh Hartnett or the vampires. Still, despite not loving Penny Dreadful so far, I have an odd addiction to the show and can't wait to watch each episode. 

Of course, that could be in large part due to Eva Green, because she's the bee's knees.

What do YOU think? And which monsters would you like to see added to Season 2? Dracula? The Wolfman? RoboCop? Smurfs? Mario Lopez? 

• Comments (110)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • PamK421 Aug 21, 2014

This show is perfect and Eva Green is perfect...it's ridiculous.

• WildPict Jun 29, 2014

Great news! This has been the most unusual show I've seen in a while, but it has been fun.

• myidea Jun 29, 2014

Oh this just keeps getting better and better!! Mr. Chandler somehow has the words to exorcise the demon from our Penny . Who can't see the plan divine or other that places him in London in time to save her. Eva Green (who is just amazing to watch) her face is so beautiful and the range of expression she possesses is awesome!! The best show going!!

• antineaperuch Jun 06, 2014

wow super episode!
    A touch of pathetic, Victor playing jealous, some self esteem issues and then this ending. I totally didn't see this coming. Well I could see some violent outburst after Ethan's dramatic memory flow absinthe induced and topped by Wagner.. Something like shouting, screaming for Brona or punching dear Dorian repeatedly..I found this unexpected and peculiar even because they showed it in a sweet way too, ( well at the end).

• Whedonrules Jun 06, 2014

I don't know which Sunday night horror is better because both have had exceptionally solid freshman seasons - 'Penny Dreadful' or 'Salem'? Both are crazy in a good way. Still slightly tipping in favor of 'Salem' because that story is moving a little faster, making a tad more sense amidst the lunacy, and I'm hearting Janet Montgomery, Ashley Madekwe, Shane West, Seth Gabel, Xander Berkely, Tamzin Merchant, Elise Eberle, now adding Stephen Lang as Increase Mather etc etc etc.. Both of these shows are batsh!t fun on a Sunday night.

Bringing Sunday back to Satan one show at a time ;)

Oh come on ......lighten up....:)

• sangbaran Jun 05, 2014

More Eva Green! Yes!

• HTEflseGODS Jun 05, 2014

I will start by saying I like J. HARTNETT. He did great horror films the Faculty, H20, & 30 days, and even his recent flop Banraku. I for one was seriously turned off by last week's latest creature addition Dorian Grey. I literally said WTF as (SPOILER ALERT) Josh Hartnett started making out with dude. I could really get into his character until he became a bi-curiouse hoe! I dont care they tricked me into rooting for the gay guy, the part that pisses me off is that our hero is gonna be B.J. giving little bitch of the bad guy! I will give this show just one more ep. To win me back. Josh should of never turned down the parts of playing Spider-Man, or the next Batman, at least he wouldn't have to kiss some dude to pay his bills.

• antmorris3511 Jun 06, 2014

I guess today's audiences aren't more open-minded after all. Silly me.

Hartnett's gay scene was clumsy, forced, and sterile, but the homosexuality of it didnt bother me.

• Air-man77 Jun 05, 2014

Great news. Penny Dreadful is a great show.

• HWBOD Jun 05, 2014

Hey - how about this for a Friday night line-up... we start off with Grimm (cos the kiddies need a bed story)... then we kick onto Sleepy Hollow cos we're trying to decide whether to hit the town or stay in and we need a distraction... and then we cap it with Penny Dreadful cos, well, we decide 'who wants to sleep on a Friday night'... and while we're wandering the bars with a couple of drinks we're looking at everyone else and... the night just doesn't seem so ordinary... time to shamble home and lie in our beds... nice and safe... and then looking up at the ceiling we remember Mama in Episode 1 Season 1 of Supernatural... sleep tight my pretties ;-)

• MightyMad Jun 05, 2014

This show is simply... awesome.

Every single week, you go "WTF?", trying to find a explanation to the coo coo-bananas stuff you just watch, all giddy about it!

Hell, something happen on the last episode that, if you told me, at the start of the series, could occured, I would have seriously say "C'mon... there's no way what's-his-name would be cool about it!" Yet... there it was! And, frankly, of all the supernatural shows on television, this one actually has spooky moment.

Alright, wild but probably very accurate guess: Josh Harnett's character is a Wolfman.

• See More Comments (42)