Watch the Creepy Trailer for Showtime's New Horror Drama Penny Dreadful (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jan 17, 2014

Do you like monsters? What about Timothy Dalton? Eva Green? Josh Hartnett? If you answered yes to—or even shrugged at—any of those questions, it's probably worth your time to check out the creepy new trailer for Showtime's upcoming horror series Penny Dreadful. It's only 50 seconds long, so it's not like it'll take up that much of your day anyway.

The "psychologically frightening" series from Academy Award-nominee John Logan (Hugo) premieres Sunday, May 11 and stars the aforementioned trio of actors, as well as Billie Piper (Doctor Who), Rory Kinnear (Skyfall), and Reeve Carney (Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark). It covers the origin stories of several historical figures in literary fiction, including Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, and a few characters from the novel Dracula as they're swept up in all sorts of Victorian England shenanigans. However, the series is also "very human" according to Green, who appeared at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour this week to discuss the show. She also claims the series is not scary just for the sake of being scary, but I think she's lying, because, as you'll see in the trailer, there are several characters moving in ways that can only be described as "spider-y." Caaahhhh-reeeeepy.

Based on this trailer, are you planning to check out Penny Dreadful?

• Comments (44)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • lindalou1316 Mar 01, 2014

I cannot wait to watch this show!!!!

Linda

• TVFangirl84 Jan 18, 2014

OMG yes I will be watching this show!!!!

• MandySCG Jan 17, 2014

I will definitely give this show a try.

• Svanehjerte Jan 17, 2014

Another show that looks decent, but will be stained by the seemingly obligatory nudity and sex scenes on these certain channels. And what a surprise - a regular sex scene is not enough anymore, so they need orgies or threesomes. Two guys, yet the only full nudity you see will be the female.

Eva Green is also a poor choice.

• Marburg66 Jan 17, 2014

it would be surprising if they didn't have at least some nudity & sex scenes; I'm sure they will, but the bottom line is, you really don't have any idea whatsoever at this point of how much sex & nudity the show is actually going to contain any more than the rest of us do.

• BadCode Jan 17, 2014

That is a yummy cast. I kees you, I love you, I kees you! Mwuah!

• MarlboroMagpi Jan 17, 2014

I am glad this is a trailer that everyone in the world can watch. The 2 main leads are enough for me to give it a chance.

• Sanity_Bleeds Jan 17, 2014

You had me at Eva Green, you sold it even further with Josh Hartnett and Timothy Dalton. The trailer could have shown them setting around in office chairs lighting their farts on fire and I'd still be just as excited to check this out.

• Mate Jan 17, 2014

They had me with Eva Green. MMM mmmm MMM. She was the only good thing about Camelot. The one on Starz that had that horrible whiney actor that played King Arthur.

• Sam20 Jan 17, 2014

Unfortunately they kind of lost me with Josh Hartnett. I will definitely watch though.

• Mate Jan 17, 2014

You have an excellent point. But this looks like the type of show where his ability to squint and tilt his head in order to appear to think really hard about something might be ok. He wasn't bad in 40 days of Night.

• Sanity_Bleeds Jan 17, 2014

I think you're completely neglecting Joseph Fiennes, the other half of the only good thing about Camelot, but yeah, she was absolutely amazing in that bastardization of Arthurian legends.

• Mate Jan 17, 2014

Fiennes was great as Merlin.

• Taccado Jan 17, 2014

Ooooh...Eva Green. She is on my Top-3 Favourite Actresses List, she might even be number one. I have to watch this show because of her.

I just wish she would pick roles that would put her on a track toward awards, because she is surely the kind of actress who could pull off an Oscar worthy performance. She also doesn't work that much; since 2003 when she began working she has only gotten 17 credits to her name. More roles would gain her more attention.

• DavidJackson8 Jan 17, 2014

I often try most shows, but I don't think I'll be trying this one. A big part of it is that I'm generally not a fan of the horror genre, but this trailer looked pretty darn stupid to me.

• See More Comments (9)