Firewall

Episode Reviews (18)

Superb

The proper doors are left open

By nayhem, Oct 01, 2012

The writing team succeeds again in forcing the ever-expanding team to think fast throughout the entire episode. One last player takes to the field in quite the spectacular way. The show's ironic sense of justice also carries through. Some characters (such as this week's p.o.i.) do meet unfortunate ends, but well in the interest of the larger schemes.

Brilliant series!

By WhiteRabbit815, Jul 12, 2012

did the ending remind anyone of the ending to The Matrix ,with Neo and the phone booth?..."what is the [machine]?"

"Error: Continuity of Operations Compromised. Evaluating Options."

By TomWayne, Jul 11, 2012

And with that final unspoken line, we now have to wait until September. AUGH!

But what a nonstop hour led up to it!

No flashbacks this time. (Sorry Nathan Ingram fans, but we don't get to see closure there, although we do find out the way in which his death came about, both the false reason that a certain recurring character had been fed, and Finch's confirmation of the real reason that we've pretty much known all along, especially after "Super" and "No Good Deed.") While I was really hoping for at least some more flashbacks coming into the episode, it's so clear why they were omitted (and not just to save some for Season Two)--the pacing of the finale is so airtight (again co-penned by Jonathan Nolan himself--well, duh :) ) that any flashbacks would have seemed jarring and out-of-place.

The acting as usual is superb by the leads, fully complemented by a nice helping of recurring characters. One recurring character does such an outstanding job that it completely changed my view of that character. The supporting cast did an admirable job of following Caviezel and Emerson's modeling of how to act with one's eyes, so evudent and emphasized especially in these past few weeks.

Fans will be talking even more about which recurring characters did not appear in the episode, having quite apparently been tabled until next season. I actually liked the omissions in the end, because being proven wrong about some of my finale assumptions turned out to actually be a very good thing. Anyone who feared that the finale would be predictable because it would simply have to involve this or that character will be pleased with the result. Yes, you can figure out the ending on some levels based on past episodes and events in this one, but the awesome part is that it's only one of so many other options you'll be considering, that you really won't know which one until the end, thanks to the depth to which this series has been written thus far.

Plus, there's enough surprise moments (including two Finch ones that you'll literally applaud) and the pace is so tight, that you'll either just kick back and enjoy the ride, or you'll end up taking two or three hours to watch it due to pausing to try to analyze every possible outcome.

Does it end on a cliffhanger? Yes, but in the Nolan sense. It doesn't end abruptly midscene, so you won't necessarily torture yourself by watching it. While the final moment does leave you hanging a bit, the Season Two premiere doesn't necessarily have to pick up the microsecond after this one ended (although we'll all be wondering what the final resolution is, given that it would answer a question that's been around for, oh, about a week now). The ending is satisfying in the "for now" sense, making the wait doable because you just know it's going to be so worthwhile. (And, let's face it--four months is way shorter than the four years we'll have had to wait between the second installment and the conclusion of a certain superhero movie franchise that Nolan has been doing with his brother.)

So what does the finale resolve? Well, without giving away any spoilers, the following items do get addressed:

Carter and Fusco (where this happens is absolutely hilarious, especially for Fusco fans).

Finch and two different recurring characters whom we've been eager for him to finally interact with more directly.

Donnelly and, well, let's just say that those of you who have missed the pre-Episode 9 Carter will end up starting to really like the character.

Fusco and the HR situation he referred to last week in "No Good Deed."

For those of you who had anticipated that the increaing number of recurring characters would likely result in one or more recurring characters meeting their end, one does, though I won't say which one..

Those of you who need your periodic Zoe fix will not be disappointed--as usual, they gave her some really memorable lines, which it seems Paige Turco was born to deliver.

And, those of you who have been following Jonathan Nolan's hints (about the Machine's developing role) by monitoring the clues over the entire season will be very happy indeed.

Ok, I lied--four months is an excruciatingly long time to wait. But after watching this season finale, you'll know it will be absolutely worth the wait!

Thanks so much for an awesome Season One, Mr. Abrams, Mr. Nolan, Mr. Caviezel, Mr. Emerson, Ms. Henson, Mr. Chapman, and the rest of this incredible cast and crew! Kudos to you all!

Brain...glitching...ahhh!!

By fernkelsey, Jul 01, 2012

No words can describe. Quite possibly the best episode of a TV show I have ever seen in my life. I would seriously pay to see that in theaters! So many people involved, so much action, so much intrigue, humor, twists and turns, and a HUGE reveal at the end! Plus a crazy cliffhanger as well (there's someone even higher?!)!!! Season 2 needs to start right now! Absolutely outstanding finale to an absolutely outstanding series!

Amy Acker you baddy you

By KatrenaHoskin, Jun 16, 2012

This was a brilliant cliff hanger/end of season episode. Have to admit though I did know who Amy would turn out to be as soon as she showed up lol. You do not get her unless you are going to use her well. Amy has come a long way since super innocent and cute Fred in Angel.

I was also very pleae to see the return on Paige Turco to the show I always enjoy her cameos in PoI and have been a fan since she was in American Gothic.

Favourite scene of the series was in this episode with Fusco and Carter in the bathroom and good ole Finch deilvering a classic one line as only he can. Can not wait till next season to see how Reece and Co. get back our favourite geek.moreless

1 word Awesome"

By Niko_D_Bad, Jun 16, 2012

"What a fantastic season ender?! Now that's what i call great show!, fantastic episode! humorous dialogues, i realy love those 1 liners from Reese!, Ending was Superb! "Resse talking to the computer via the street cam & its response", can't wait for S2!

John Reese vs Jason Bourne

By AmethystRuby3, May 25, 2012

I know that others have commented on the similarities between John Reese and Jason Bourne, but this episode highlighted one of those parallels when Dr. Turing mentioned that Reese was hyper-aware and liked to protect people. Jason Bourne is definitely the superior of the two, because he can win almost any physical fight and also seems to be able to predict what others will do more often than Reese can.

But John compares with Jason with how he uses the same fighting styles and considerately waits to punch someone until they have touched him in a manner that indicates that they want to detain him. In the pilot episode, Anton was the only person in the room with guns that he didn't hurt. This was because the young thug finally had learned not move threateningly and keep his hands up in an indication of surrender, but the other punks were trying to harm or kill John.

John also went out of his way to not hurt the two men who escorted him to Finch, even though he didn't know what kind of situation he was being forced into. That was because they treated him with respect and didn't come within a foot of him.

Then when they did try to physically stop him from walking away from Harold, he took pity on them. Because he understood that they were Finch's bodyguards and only doing their job, he simply knocked them into each other. That gave one man a headache and bruised the other guy's nose, but Reese could have created a lot worse damage, as he proved time and again in different episodes.

I wanna be John Reese!

By gorilla_hustler, May 22, 2012

This show is powerful and leaves my mind blown with each episode. "Firewall was masterful!!!

Best show on TV?

By alpha777, May 21, 2012

I thought next to Nikita this was my favorite show, but I might be wrong now. Everyone loves a well written conspiracy. Whether its mortals taking away superpowers or a black box that reveals the secrets of the world (Prison Break, Nikita) --- well this ep took this series to the next level for me. I don't know what makes the plot thicker, HR, the CIA who are putting on the clamps or John having to go back to his old recon tactics now that the stakes have been taken to the highest possible ante.

Can't wait for next season. We need more shows like this out there, we miss Dollhouse, 24, Prison Break, Lost and the rest of the epic action suspense non CSI regurgitated toddler feed.

Awesome Finale!!!

By LauraHerrera1, May 21, 2012

I love this show, the ending was incredible I laughed, cried, froze, almost died! lol. my mom was in the next room and had to see what i was watching cause i was so exited. Can't wait for season 2!

Load More Reviews