ABC Family Renews Pretty Little Liars for Two More Seasons It Doesn't Deserve

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 10, 2014

How many lies do you have to tell before you graduate from being a just "little liar" to a "big fat liar"? Because ABC Family announced today that it's picked up its longest-running original series Pretty Little Liars—about four teenaged girls caught in a web of lies, deceit, and, in Aria's case, really uncomfortable clothing—for two more seasons.

The renewal is unprecedented and will take PLL through Season 7, which is expected to debut in 2016. That means the show will run as long as both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The West Wing. That means the show will run two seasons longer than Friday Night Lights and four seasons longer than Veronica Mars. And if we're being honest, it also means the show will run two seasons too long. Earlier this year we made a case to end PLL after Season 5 (which premieres tonight), with a wish-list end date of sometime in March 2015. But now we might have to wait until 2017 to find out who A is, and ain't nobody got time for that!

During a Reddit AMA on Monday, PLL showrunner Marlene King said the series would be skipping the Liars' college years (because by the time graduation rolls around the actors will be eligible for social security?), and that the characters will discover who A is in Season 5, but the audience will not. 

thekaitling:list:are-you-excited-for-more-pll/

• Comments (69)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • TheGreatNewra Jun 18, 2014

i stopped after season 3 i think. Couldn't take it any longer.

• FilmFanatic Jun 16, 2014

After watching the season 5 premier of PLLs, I have to say; What an explosive episode! This episode was good enough to be a mid season finale rather than first one!

• Dan815 Jun 16, 2014

"On April 8, 2014, HBO renewed Game of Thrones for a fifth and sixth season it BADLY doesn't deserve"

Fixed! X )

• harvestg Jun 11, 2014

I would like it if they told us who A is, then go back to the start and show it from A's perspective - like how A managed to do all the things he/she has done. I don't think that they could actually do this though as half the stuff A has done is impossible!

Another way they could drag it out for another two seasons would be to just show the aftermath of A...I would be willing to watch that as don't want to say goodbye to the girls!

However, if it is neither of the above options, I think I'll be saying goodbye to the girls of my own accord!

• Sw33tEscape Jun 19, 2014

There's been multiple A's so I don't think that will work.

• harvestg Jul 07, 2014

They could still show how each of the A's did it and which A did what?

• eric357 Jun 11, 2014

So I am just going to pretend this is their last season unless some crazy cliffhanger happens. If it wasn't for dvr I probably would not have stuck with it this long.

• mcepin3 Jun 11, 2014

How could characters discover,who A is,but not audience? :D

• mipharell87 Jun 11, 2014

Oh God I was hoping the fifth will be the last one. That we get finally an Answer to all the shenanigans about the Liars. But no we have to watch (or not) 2 more years of a Teenage Girl who pissed off every human being, pets etc etc in Rosewood. Don't get me wrong I used to love PLL but now I'm so tired to watch this show. Every secrets bring another one. 5 years and we still don't know who is really A and most important why Aria have the worst wardrobe.

• zsandmann Jun 11, 2014

6 seasons longer than Firefly. There is no God.

• CaitlinRice Jun 11, 2014

I'm hoping that since Marlene had said they were hoping to announce the official end date SOON, this means we actually have the end date here.

I still really enjoy the show, but there really is only so long that you can drag this all out. Hanna can only recolor or restyle her hair so many times in a school year before it all falls out. :)

• Gislef Jun 11, 2014

It'll also run six seasons longer than The Middleman, the only decent show ABC Family has ever done.

For some of us, at any rate. ;)

• Dan815 Jun 16, 2014

oh the irony of your comment XD

• saizen33 Jun 11, 2014

For me, it was The Nine Lives of Chloe King. And, it was cancelled with so many cliffhangers!!! :( BOO ABC Family!!! At least a script was released online, so that helps.

• Sw33tEscape Jun 19, 2014

For me it was the cancellation of The Lying Game now that cliffhanger and all the unresolved plots was just brutal.

• Taccado Jun 11, 2014

Cancelling TNLoCK felt bad, but for me the cancellations of Kyle XY and Bunheads felt much worse.

• saizen33 Jul 31, 2014

I never watched Bunheads, but the cancellation of Kyle XY made me mad, too

• Gislef Jun 11, 2014

Well, Middleman did get a wrap up comic.

• Gislef Jun 11, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• thekaitling Jun 11, 2014

:(

• See More Comments (24)