Shawn vs. The Red Phantom

Episode Reviews (18)

Great

Shawn vs. The Red Phantom

By AJLane-TCP, Apr 02, 2012

The Good:

-Lassiter and the Chief get some one-on-one time when the Chief goes into labor. At one point beforehand, the Chief is on the phone with her husband; she tells him, "I love you" and for one confused moment, Lassiter thinks the Chief is talking to him.

-"Make it? I live here."

-The storyline is really solid. Incorporating a critic that reviews movies based on comic books is a good plot point.

-The drawings based on Shawn and Gus - nicknamed "Magic Head"

The Bad:

-Shawn's flirtation with Talia seems forced. Unlike in previous episodes, he does not seem genuinely interested in her, so their almost-date is not necessary.moreless

Shawn and Gus go to a Comic Book convention to solve a crime. Good plot idea, badly written.

By phygmint, Sep 22, 2011

I love this show, and I'm so excited to see where it's going. But I'm so disappointed with this episode. They've gone overboard with how much Shawn disrespects Gus. I think they'll lose viewers. They may lose me.

We all expect Shawn to be out of line a bit. But he's getting further and further into the realm of "that friend no one actually continues to put up with". Doing so makes Gus look stupid, which his character isn't, and turns off viewers.

It wasn't necessary for Shawn to trash Gus's valuable comic book. It wasn't necessary for him to bring Gus in as the Magic Head. What purpose did either of those two things serve except to make a fool of Gus or to be abusive to him? It wasn't funny at all, it just served to tick off the viewers and alienate them from Shawn. There's a difference between a side-kick and an abuse sponge.

If the writers can't come up with something better than Star Of The Show having to be mean to everyone else to be funny, I'll be buying the "Complete Series Of Psych" in video stores by next summer.

Sorry, but this one was a miss.moreless

this was a good ep i thought

By cube2k8, May 13, 2010

in this ep of the show psych shawn and gus are asked to due a case for the other dective its a missing persons case it turns out its more then that a kid who is a huge bloger at night was paid alot of money to say good things about a movie.and when they start to investage they realize that the people that were the behide the bashing of another superhero movie that is bad are being kidnapped and the guy behide it was the creater of one of guss favorite heroes it was a really good ep i thought .moreless

Gus and Shawn investigate a missing 18 year old which leads them to TriCon. TriCon is a big science fiction and comic book convention and Gus is very excited about going.

By sophdoph13, Sep 22, 2009

This episode is great especially when Shawn goes up to the stage and tells the crowd that he is a real psychic. He also calls Gus his assistant called Magic Head which is really funny! Its kinda mean when Shawn tears up one of Gus' prized comics although he had to do it to solve the case.

The part with the Chief and Lassiter is pretty funny. The scenes with them in the car when her water breaks is good. I also thought the bit and the end where Gus, Juliette, Lassiter and Shawn are at the hospital, looking at all the babies. The others try to convince the chief not to come into work until around January. The very end with the posters of Psych-Man and Magic Head is really funny!moreless

Once again Gus is in his element when he and Shawn must investigate the disappearance of an 18 year old at the TriCon Comic and Science Fiction Convention. The Chief's water breaks and Lassiter must be their in the hospital when she has her baby.

By jyarter, Jun 18, 2009

Don't you just love Shawn's dad's twisted sense of right and wrong as the feet held in stone cop. Everything to him is about absolute reality. The stories they tell of Shawn's upbringing are hilarious. No wonder Shawn is the crazed person he is as an adult. What a strange childhood.

Shawn and Gus are really in their element at the TriCon as Psych-Man and MagicHead. The whole bit with George Takei was precious with the blueberries from the Carolina's and the fake assistants. The fact that there is actually a plot against the three people was truly funny. For once the girl that Shawn is scamming on is not the villain but one of the victims. Who else thought it was the comic book writer who's character was ruined by the movie studio right after meeting him? I'm amazed that Gus did not take Shawn's head off for tearing the cover of his first edition comic book up. I have lived and worked with true comic book collectors. I was in a fantasy football league with a whole group of them for seven years. If you ever did anything like that you would be dead.

It was funny and appropriate that Lassiter was with the Chief when her water broke in his car and that he was there when she had her baby in the hospital. Talk about the least appropriate person. I'm glad she missed his small talk in the car about them hiring her to be the new Chief. It was a little embarrassing for him. Of course nothing new. Timothy Omundson is brilliant in that role.

I think there is an evil child in there blocking my psychic powers. See you next time...moreless

Episode involving a series of kidnappings related to a comic con.

By omarlittle, Jul 30, 2008

I just had to write something about this episode! I like the way Shawn usually talks people into believing things, but the way he convinces George Takei into believing they, he and Gus, work for him is hilarious!! (its around the 20th minute, watch it again!) George has never seen them before but because they react so quickly and convincingly to everything he says he has no choice but to agree with what they say. I loved the way they made up another assistant, trash her and say they fired her :P

Great performance by George Takei by the way!

GT: "I'm very confused"moreless

Absolutely hilarious!

By SweetMissJaye, Jun 12, 2008

This episode of Psych was extremely funny. The entire situation with George Takei was ridiculously funny. Shawn and Gus convinced everyone, including Mr. Takei, that they were his assistants. It's so stupid because he should remember hiring them, as Shawn claimed. LOL I loved, loved, LOVED when Shawn went on stage to impress everyone at the convention with his psychic ability. It was so funny when he called Gus Magic Head. When he touched Gus' head, trying to use it to help him with his "ability" I laughed so hard that tears came to my eyes.

Gus is such a cutie, such an adorable dweeb. His knowledge of history, spelling bees, comic books, etc are coming in very handy. I am impressed with Gus' many skills. Shawn is lucky to have him. They make great partners. I couldn't believe when Shawn destroyed Gus' comic book, even though he did it for an important reason. Shawn is lucky that Gus knew so much about the comic or they probably wouldn't have solved the case. I suspected the comic creator of being the suspect but I also suspected Thalia. Its funny that Shawn is always attracted to women that could be the suspect. He and Gus do like the bad girls. :)moreless

Comics... who would have thought would be an inspiration for murder?

By WolfTigerG, Mar 28, 2007

When the capitan and Lassiter go for a convention and on the way the capitan must give birth. O'hara hires Shawna dn Gus on a case to find a missing person. Their clues lead them to a comic book convention.There they begin working on for George Tekai under false pretenses. They find out that their missing person is not there when he was supposed to be. So they follow the clues and soon all other people begin to go missing at this comic book convention. During this time Shawn and Gus also tell the people of the convention that he is a psychic. They solve the case when they figure out that the kidnapper is following his own comic.moreless

In this episode Shawn and Gus have to go to a Comic-Con to solve the abductions. Very funny episode, with lots of references to the Batman universe, and special participation of George Takei.

By Dubi, Feb 08, 2007

A kid have disapeared and Shawn steps in to solve it. The leads take them to a Comics convention with all the typical (and not so typical) geeks. In order to entre the convention, Shawn lies that they are George Takei's assistants. Very funny scene when Shawn calls Takei Chekov and Scotty. Once inside, Shawn and Gus have to find the friends of the missing kid.

To do that, Gus take the stage and make a number as a psych, impressing the easily impressable crownd. Very funny moment.

After that, the story unravels, with lots of references to the Batman universe, on the names of the characters and the reference to a certain movie with nipples on the heroes costumes.

George Takei special appearance is highlighted by its funny conversations with Shawn, as a very very annoying star with his somewhat exotic requests.moreless

Comic Con Murders

By sh811a, Oct 04, 2006

This was the seasion finale for Season one and it was a pritty good one. I myself am a fan of comic books and Star Trek and I've been to a couple conventions myself. I sort of emphise a little with both characters attitudes toward the comic con convention. From Gus and his love and understanding of comic books and Star Trek. As well as a little of Shawn's down to earth skeptism may'be on why people have to act so ridiculous about the genere. I laughed my head off when both Gus and Shawn went up on stage and Shawn had to play superhero for real and called his sidekick Gus Magic Head. And of course Shawn pulls it off and gets some work done on the case.

Then of course there is the encounter with George Takei who plays a more exagerated version of himself, by playing out the sterotypical idium about celeberties being self serving and not who they seem (which isn't true although sometimes it is for some). It was funny seeing Shawn, Gus, and Takei interact with one another. Even the part which was an ironic joke when Gus accidently says the wrong character name. And Takei delivers the famous one-liner which of coruse came from DeForest Kelly's character Bones McCoy. The final scene was excelent when both Shawn and Gus are going to have a comic book of their own. And we see a poster of what their comic book counterparts look like. Comic Gold.moreless

Load More Reviews