Quincy, M.E.

Show Reviews (16)

Good
7.9

Quincy was one of the shows rhat really helped start the investigation shows we have today. Look at allthe forensics shows, fiction or not that came from it.

By mshiss2, Sep 29, 2008

Quincy was one of the shows that really helped start the investigation shows we have today. Look at all the forensics shows, fiction or not that came from it. I believe it helped an entire generation with career choices. Many of my friends became scientists, doctors, nurses, Paramedics, police officers, congressmen & women and yes there's even a medical examiner. We all were influenced not just by the tv but the fact that people were helping others, teaching and finding out the truth to the riddle of why that person died, if it was at the hand of another, to help bring them to justice.moreless

Holy mackerel Sam!

By Vertibrains, Nov 30, 2007

A classic show starring Jack Klugman as Dr Quincy, the original Gil Grissom. The casting in this is just perfect, with Sam, the trusty sidekick, and Dr Astin, the scientifically dim-witted but politically focused boss. I've watched this show for years, and still do when it gets repeated, as the plots have stood the test of time really well. The main storylines generally pose a puzzle that Quincy has to solve - where everybody else has failed. The interplay between the characters is good, especially Quincy and Astin, and there's always some kind of humorous exchange which sees Astin coming out second best somehow. I personally like Quincy's exclamations when he has his 'lightbulb moment' and solves the case. Usually it's something like: 'Holy mackerel' or 'holy toledo'. Who says a medical examiner can't have a catchphrase!

I liked the episode where Quince wanted to go off and work on his case, but Astin forced him to give a basic pathology induction to new police recruits. He delivered the grossest demo possible and had all the recruits fainting or vomiting within minutes. Brilliant!moreless

Please, we need seasons 3 and beyond on dvd. Excelent casting and script. Klugman was perfect. Simply unforgettable.

By pgmtx, Oct 13, 2007

Superb casting. Specially Jack Klugman and Robert Ito, John S. Ragin and Garry Walberg. Excellent script.

All episodes are deliciously wonderful.

Probably was the first tv serie that included such topics as the forensic investigations.

The first season was incredible. Intellligent, funny, ironic and amazing.

Favorite episodes: Who's Who in Neverland?,Snake Eyes 1 and 2, ... The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone, The Two Sides of Truth , No Deadly Secret. I might to name many episodes of the eight seasons.

I think that Quincy M.E. is one of these tv series for all of ages (from 3 to 100 years).

Unforgettable for me since thirty yearsmoreless

Murder, Mystery and Medicine, hey, I've heard that before! The original medical murder mystery

By _cecily_, Sep 29, 2007

Before Crossing Jordan, CSI, and even Diagnosis: Murder, there was Quincy M.E. Having seen every episode of this classic show, I can say with confidence that it was one of the best. As well as solving murders, Quincy often embarked on crusades to solve some of the big problems of western society. Adimittedly, it was fairly pathetic acting, and the characters were written badly, but the idea was good and some of the storylines really stand up to what's on today. This is one of those T.V. shows where you have to see the next episode, you can't just watch one.moreless

Unique among your average TV cop "procedural" shows in its' balance of excellent acting and interesting scientific data.

By Xtina99, Jul 28, 2007

This would have been a boring procedural were it not for the presence of the dynamic Jack Klugman, whose gifts lift anything he is in.

It's 7/28/07 and I'm watching Quincy M. E. for the first time in 20+ years and finding it as fine and interesting now as I did back then. Jack Klugman is excellent; sometimes one can wonder how Dr. Quincy maintains such a level of vehement passion all the time. You would think he would have been a burn out case after a number of years of this. But still, he is excellent. "Sam Fujiyama" (Robert Ito) was a perfect partner with Dr. Quincy - they complemented each other beautifully. The cops, especially the big old guy Lt. Monahan, I say reluctantly, were also perfect, though they annoyed the hell out of me with their self righteousness and bullheadedness. I could have yelled at them myself on more than one occasion; I used to get so wrapped up in this show. :)

Because of Quincy M.E., I developed an intense interest in forensic medicine, and pursued it at the library and other avenues as far as I could go. The show was based on hard science for the most part - you could find many of the procedures and observations in the text books. Of course the procedures are now out of date, but this still does not dampen my interest in observing the procedures.

Quincy M.E. presented serious and pressing political issues, like getting help for serious rare illnesses that the pharmacies and research schools were not doing anything about because of their rarity. They presented about access to pharmaceutical and medical access, very important issues. I do recall the show pushed Congress/Senate more than once to do something about a festering problem that had received little attention BQ (Before Quincy).

To balance the serious content, they had many delightful scenes of Quincy and the guys, or Quincy and a date, having a drink and partying and generally raising hell. It was delightful! I miss this breeziness in the latter day cop shows, were everyone is brooding and has secrets and the PC police will not show them doing this and that, but allows them to portray violence and gore and self righteous vengeance, a route Quincy M.E. did not have to take because of its' fineness. I hate these self righteous times we live in all around, and will comment no further on that.

You have to wonder how many people this show steered into forensic medicine, because the science was portrayed as vital and exciting and a key to the truth. It certainly enchanted me. It is really a great thing to be able to see reruns of Quincy, M.E. on Channel 23 in Chicago.moreless

The original crime fighting Medical Examiner

By jvendra, Feb 06, 2007

Qunicy was a kick-ass Medical Examiner, who was unconventioanl in his pursuit of the truth. He also was a thorne in Dr Austin and Lt Frank Monahan side but Qunicy was always right in the end. Everybody called him by his surname, you never knew what Qunicy's first name was. Qunicy was the grandfather of all the forensic shows of today. He was a crusader for the innocent who died. Like all heros he had a trusty sidekick in Sam. He left no stone unturned until he found out the truth. I love the opening credits where he took the sheet off a corpse and the rookie cops faint.moreless

In that vast wasteland of television cops and doctors we find Quincy, M.E., an amalgam of Perry Mason and Plan 9 from Outer Space.

By ac4aq, Jan 10, 2007

A unique addition to the multitude of people who aren't a doctor but have played one on TV is Jack Klugmann as Quincy, M.E. Here we have the first (and hopefully only) coroner to appear in the halls of televised medicine. Quincy, who has no first name, is likely television's best example of obsessive/compulsive disorder and whose antics, if they were performed by an actual coroner would certainly result in removal from office, possibly a competency hearing as well. Aided by Sam Fujiyama (played by Robert Ito, better remembered for Battle of Midway and M*A*S*H) Quincy monomaniacally tracks bogeymen as he brings to us the infuriating tale of each cadaver.

Strong Point: Good theme music, I like the rich, Basie-esque saxophones. And the Collapsing Cops in the opening theme never fails to amuse.

Weak Point: Too obvious in its sermonizing. Also the personality of Dr. Quincy threatens his own health and should not considered an enviable example.

Quincy, M.E. makes me look forward to television's first proctologist in a starring role. Life is short, don't waste a minute of it on this program.

jHhmoreless

Simply... the best crime-drama series on television through most of the 70s and 80s. Far surpassing CSI and Crossing Jordan in content and emotionally charged story telling from a forensic pathologist's perspective!

By QuincyExaminer, Aug 26, 2006

Was Quincy really the first Forensic Crime Drama? by QuincyExaminer You better believe it, folks! Quincy M.E. was originally part of a rotation series that network NBC television had added to it's weekly Mystery Movie Series. Later, due to the popularity of the ratings and the high quality of emotional drama and on-screen acting, the series was spun off and developed into a full network series which ran for seven years from 1976 through 1983. To learn more about the series, its cast, the Quincy FAQ, Episode Bible, and community forum, visit the The Quincy Examiner, Original home to fans of Quincy M.E. by clicking the support links that follow.