Pilot

Episode Reviews (17)

Great

A breath of fresh air

By AvatarBlue, Jul 04, 2008

Very impressive first episode. Great style of narration that few people could pull off - Jeff Goldblum being one of them. Reminds me of those old 50/60 style PI novels (ala Raimond Chandler).

Having him as bordering delusion/possibly mentally ill works perfectly in suspending disbelief and allowed me to believe the exchanges taking place between him and the deceased.

The main selling point of the show is Raines ability to empathises with the victims and use his knowledge of human behaviour to essentially draw up a profile of the victim. With this in hand he can then work his way towards possible motives and identify suspects.

The whole thing works fantastically well and in this episode proves to be a fine introduction to Raines and the unique method he uses to solve homicides. I found all the little subtle changes he makes to the victim as he finds out more, wonderful and packs in detail as though he is painting the victims personality on a canvas.

As you may expect the crime is just a means to the end, but the journey is the way Raines reconstructs a person from the clues he has to go on, often making judgements or second guessing some aspects, before chipping away his assumptions to find the true character.

It goes without saying that alot of the victims we see are perhaps a mirror to Raines' psyche itself.

Glorious concept, excellently executed. Can't blow this episodes trumpet enough. I just hope the remaining 7 are just a deep.moreless

good pilot...

By Fwirrel, May 27, 2008

I really like the idea of this show and this episode was great. A young lady was found dead and Raines finds out that she was a prostitute that was trying to make money to help her mom get away from her abusive husband. I really like how Raines started talking to the victum and how she changed whenever new evidence came in. That was awesome. I also liked his old partner, which, at the end, happened to be dead. I wasn't expecting that; that was awesome. Overall, this was an interesting case, though not very original, but the seeing of the victums made the characters interesting and well-developed.moreless

Good pilot

By Shardyk, Mar 11, 2008

Not a bad show, really. Not much of a story in this one, but it did have a nice twist. It's on hulu, go watch it. The best part of the episode was seeing Mykelti Williamson playing Bobby 'Fearless' Smith from one of my favorite shows, Boomtown that was canceled way before it's time. I think this show would have worked a lot better if it hadn't been running on the same network as Medium. There's really not much to distinguish the two, except one is faking it and one is not. I'm going to watch all seven episodes probably, just because I like Jeff Goldblum.moreless

Don't confuse this with "Medium" or "Ghost Whisperer". This is so much better.

By buildrich, Apr 03, 2007

As a first-time viewer without any advance knowledge of this show, my initial reaction was to dump it after 10 minutes as a clone of "Medium" or "Ghost Whisperer", which I refuse to watch because of their unrealistic spiritistic premise. But then Sandy's accent turned to a Southern drawl after Raines learned where she was from. I knew then that this was going to be something so much better. I was glad for this because the opening film noir-like scene was so well done. The quirky way that the body changed with Raines' narrative descriptions is the type of innovative device that TV needs.

Another good thing is that Raines is humble enough to accept the results of the legwork of those working with him and then do what a good detective is supposed to do -- solve the case! The return of Nicole Sullivan to network TV is much appreciated. As usual, she plays a likeable character who contributes a lot to the show. It's also great to see again Mykelti Williams, who played Bobby "Fearless" Smith in one of the best crime dramas ever, "Boomtown"; although the credit blurb doesn't use the correct character name in this show -- Charlie.

Nice surprise revelation of the identity of the killer. Also surprising was that Charlie also is dead. But I'll keep watching because it merely further establishes Raines' mental instability.

This episode holds promise that this hardly-promoted mid-season replacement might actually have a chance at success.moreless

Not a bad show.

By angelspinknose, Mar 23, 2007

Pretty good kept me interested. Took me a while to realize that his partner was dead also. Interesting take on the side kick/ voice over thing. Instead of the usual partner you get a dead guy. Nicole Sullivan doesn't have mush to do. My only complaint on this show is they don't make much use of Nicole Sullivan's talent.

Jeff Goldblum carries the show just fine...

By b1ueish, Mar 21, 2007

The opening noir-like scene was so cool that I somehow dissapoint when the rest of the pilor wasn't in the same style.

However, when Jeff Goldblum start murmuring to the victim/himself, and the music that played at the background totally bring me in.

The plot was nicely written, with enough twist for a casual viewer like me. The charactors on the other hand, wasn't so attracting to me, except Dt. Raines.

That's hope this would comtinues into a great series.

Raines sees dead people..or does he?

By BekkaLass, Mar 19, 2007

I was skeptical because I thought NBC was just cashing in on their success with "Medium" and that his would be a clone of said series...but it isn't. Raines actually sees the dead people and these people who are murdered develop their personas as Raines learns more about them. The ghosts don't simply come to him and say..so and so killed me...now prove it..its more like I was killed...you detect and find out who I was and you will find my killer. He talks about at the beginning how he wanted to be a noir writer...and that is how he solves these cases...like a writer would...the "dead" characters changing as he learns more. It was fairly entertaining, Goldblum is witty enough and eccentric enough to pull the character off as well...already knew his partner was dead too so no Sixth sense shocker there for me either.moreless

I like Jeff Goldbloom as the lead, the the premise not so much.

By cybernaut_ev, Mar 18, 2007

I thought the plot was rather contrived and a little convoluted. It came across as a run-of-the-mill caper. The beginning started out good where he was discovering clues about the victim being a prostitute. But who the killer turned out to be and especially why was rather weak. It’s as if they came up with this good setup and slapped on an ending.

What I like about the series is that Raines’ staff discover many of the facts of the case, not Raines himself. In fact he relies on them to dig up the details. It adds realism and a different slant, rather than making the detective some super whiz. And as the data rolls in, he adjusts his image of the victim.

But using figments of his imagination so he could reason out a case is pretty weak. I'm not sure I care to sit through his thought process. I would rather it had been ghosts because this would have been a good gimmick to the series. I know it's been done before, but those shows all have female leads (and not very charismatic at that) and I like male better.moreless

Wow! That's some crappy television.

By MrRollyPollyCat, Mar 17, 2007

Thank god iTunes had the pilot for free or else I would have missed the glorious opportunity to see the premiere episode of Raines, Jeff Goldblum's latest attempt to remind the world that he doesn't act anymore. Let's start out with the stupidity of this concept. Jeff Goldblum is a cop, and he imagines the victims of his crimes, so for the entire episode, he talks to himself. Oooo! That's something amazing right there. Really, I mean how dumb do you have to be to think watching someone's internal debate for an hour is actually interesting? Seriously, isn't the very idea of drama that you're supposed to externalize the conflict? Otherwise, write a damn book! And it's not even like there's a debate about if these ghosts are in his head or what not. They come out and tell you, "they're in his head. It's interesting because he talks to himself." Let's look at the other shows that use this device (and they are numerous). Rescue Me actually pulls this off. Mostly because Tommy actually has something to be tormented about, and also of course because they try to avoid actually stating whether or not the ghosts are real or in Tommy's head. Six Feet Under as well manages to use this technique to their advantage. And then there's medium, where the ghosts are real. And that's more interesting... because the ghosts are real. You don't make something better by centering it more inside the characters neurosies, unless of course that character is Larry David, and then you can pull it off. But I think the big difference is that in these other shows, that's merely a feature of the show, these characters and their relationships with people who aren't around anymore. It's what makes the show something else. In Raines, that's served up as the entirety of the show.

The fact is, since these people are all just figments of his imagination, than all the show is is him. And frankly, he's not terribly interesting. And now that we're talking about him, let's mention Jeff Goldblum for a minute. Jeff Goldblum, who used to be an actor. He was fun on screen, but now, it's just the same tone of voice and speech pattern for a solid hour. He never does anything interesting, he just stays the same forever. He's dull on screen. So yeah. I say, skip this show. For once, let's show the networks that we don't have to watch every piece of shlock they put on the air. Let this show die.moreless

Definitely not Ghost Whisperer or Medium.

By littlegolferboy, Mar 17, 2007

I went into this show with high expectations since I love Jeff Goldblum. Unfortunately I had already read the summary so I wasn't so shocked when I learned that his partner was dead too.

I don't watch many crime dramas, except Numb3rs since I'm a bit of a math geek. I was quite pleased with this one, especially the supporting cast. I remember Matt Craven being on High Incident as well as in The Life Of David Gale. I was excited to see Luis Guzman's name attached to the show but it seems he was only in the unaired pilot. I've never heard of the rest of the people but I thought they fit quite well in their roles.

The plot seemed pretty average at the beginning. The way Raines went about solving it definitely wasn't though. I thought the ending was pretty good, since no one ever suspects the wife. Then again, people always guess the least obvious person because the most obvious would be boring.

I look forward to seeing more episodes. It'll make a fine addition to my Friday night line-up.moreless

Load More Reviews