Raines

Show Reviews (51)

Great

One of those shows with real potential with a different take on the cop show format.

By AvatarBlue, Mar 03, 2009

Novel in its approach. At the base premise, the show utilised a mental illness to provide Raines with the mechanism to explore his own psyke. While at the same time providing the usually silent victims with a voice to comment on society. All was done quite well and provided a good dose of cop drama entertainment different from what is and was out there.

Each episode brought a different type of criminal case providing variety to the plots which were not the most elaborate, but served adequately to explore what the writers were aiming for - examination of society's issues through the main character Raines. Full of intelligent character development, we never really got the best of the supporting cast. I imagine that the plan was to filter them in later on, once Raines' ability to project hallucinations of the vicitms was explored to a basic level. This was something that provided more variety. For instance, using vicitims with different age groups, having one of his victims speak a language he couldnt understand, having to explain to a child about her grusome murder, victims with a personal connection and then having to deal multiple victims. All of these provided an extra layer of conflict for the hero to overcome. As well as solve the story.

Dialogue was good. With some episode having a handful of real belters. Sets and locations varied enough - though none really stood out. Yet as this show was more of an intellectual caper, they really only need to be good enough to support the premise.

Enjoyable. Different. Intelligent. A real shame it was cut in mid-stride.moreless

Imaginative; unusual; well scripted; excellent stories; superb acting.

By catspaw666, Mar 11, 2008

Just as it was getting into its' stride this excellent series was euthanised by the Network. The last episode hit a series all time high (a brief series...only 8 episodes). An imaginative premise superbly executed by script writers; directors and the actors. In the final show Jeff Goldblum showed just how good an actor he is, a proper film actor bringing his craft to the small screen..we were very lucky..it was a chilling performance. I cannot comprehend why it is called 'average' by other reviewers, I enjoyed every second of it. It was a relief to watch something not pumped out by the CSI cookie cutter. American TV seems hell bent on self destruction, axing all shows that raise the bar.moreless

Ugh! I feel like I've been punched in the gut, I've been wondering when "Raines" was going to start again. I cannot believe that the dumped it! Please please please help us find a way to bring it back, to another network, anything!

By Jitterbugh, Jan 29, 2008

It was clever, smart, had brilliant writing, brilliant actors...it was captivating!!! Finding out that this was canceled is one of the reasons I'm quite reluctant to start ANY new shows anymore! What were they thinking? This is feeling reminiscent of Wonderfalls ...and Dead Like Me and Arrested Development, shall I go on? It deserved better!

This show had great story lines, the kind that hold you from the get go and make you wish you had the whole season on DVD so you can just watch all of them in row...it had that feel , the kind you don't want to have to wait for a week because you can't wait to watch it!!! Why do the networks not give shows like this a chance?moreless

It was well-made, challenging and intelligent. No wonder it got the axe.

By jamoon2006, Oct 24, 2007

The talented always engaging Jeff Goldblum got a brief return to TV with "Raines," a noir-drenched LA murder mystery with a detective who hallucinated the victims of the crimes he was investigating. An odd premise, but with top-notch scripts and Goldblum's tetchy character, NBC had a winner. Unfortunately, NBC cut the order of episodes and canceled the series.

So what are we left with? The promise of what might have been. We saw Raines struggling to handle his issues and work his way back on to the force; we saw hints of repairing his relationship with his ex-wife; we saw him trying to be a father figure to his late partner's son. Plus, the caliber of scripts were great...multi-layered, good dialogue and strong performances. With a cast backing up Goldblum that consisted of Matt Craven, Madeline Stowe, Nicole Sullivan and Malik Yoba, the characters came to life and rose above typical crime show fare.

But NBC seems to axe anything that doesn't dominate the airwaves, and this era of failing to give shows a chance to find their sea legs is seeing a lot of promising newcomers fall by the wayside ("Studio 60," "Andy Barker, PI"). Why couldn't NBC send "Raines" to USA, where it would fit in with USA's line-up of unique mystery shows?

If NBC (and the other networks) continue to only allow shows a few weeks to try to build their audience, they're never going to have success. Sure, there are the shows that come out of the gate strong ("Heroes," etc.) but most need a season to get going and find numbers. "Raines" averaged 7.25 million viewers a week in the Friday night slot. Surely it could have finished out its 13 episode order and gotten a pick-up.moreless

this is one show I would like to see come back

By rathnait11, Sep 05, 2007

Having this show come out around the spring break timeframe doesn't really give an accurate account of if it is good; successful; etc. And on Friday nights

I really enjoyed this program, loved the cast and have been looking for the next episodes. It was a nice twist to know that these people were just in his head. I did not realize that it ended until just recently. This has been a real disappointment.

Is it too late to think about bringing it back? who do we talk to? Can we see about different time different days? I'm just a little tired of good or interesting shows on for just long enough for you to get to see them, then they are gone. If it is so fickle, it hardly makes it worth our while to even watch the television at all.moreless

This show was fun and interesting. Bring it back.

By Kurtize, Aug 29, 2007

Enjoyed this show. Hope it comes back. It had an interesting twist.

Detective "sees" the victims and they help him to solve the case. He talks to them and sees their lives through their eyes and the victims are telling him their story. Some think he is crazy because they hear him talking to himself his one friend he talks to is also dead. It is a fun show, everyone can watch it. Gives you a detective story, ghost story, sci fi story. All is covered with this show. What more can you ask for. Bring it back, yes yes.moreless

The evolution of great entertainment;

Excentircity meets imagination they then bumps into creativity, they formed a click, next they picked comedy and tragedy, doing this formed the a thinktank responsible for some of the greatest works of our tim

By anorthview, Jul 18, 2007

This show is spectacular, is entertaining to watch and is a can't miss for any night of the week, I nor anybody can know what NBC will do with this show, they are the weirdest network when it comes to hit shows.

This show is so original and Raines is the most original character of the season, while I'm certain Goldblum adds his own touch to every role he takes on this appears to be either tailor made for him, the perfect coincidence, or a Muse hitting their stride, whatever the case maybe this show has what it takes to top ten for as long as it wants to be on tv. The show is not based on the lives of the characters, but the characters as they live.

Next fall we'll see at least 2 carbon copys of this, its less Monk, and more Columbo, but with smoother quips.moreless

Detective "sees" the victims to help himself solve the case.

By Starghella, Jul 17, 2007

This was a great, great show. I am really disappointed in NBC for even thinking about cancelling it!! It was a fresh spin on an old classic which is why it worked so well. Jeff Goldblum is an excellent actor and really brought the part alive. I really hope that NBC comes to their senses and decides to bring it back for the fall season. There are so many terrible shows on TV and they keep cancelling the quality ones. NBC is really disappointing me. First one of my favorite shows Surface last year and now Raines this year. Get it together and keep this show!moreless

Raines is about a detective who solves murders by "talking" with the victims...he sees their lives through them. Of course everyone thinks he's crazy. His team ranges from efficient to mediochre but he has an understanding boss.

By licensegal, Jul 02, 2007

This show has it all including Jeff Goldblum. His unique and quirky acting is perfect in this part. The supporting cast also provides interesting side bars. There's so many "cookie cutter" detective shows out there. The approach to this story line is intriguing, funny, sad and CREATIVE! Had me hooked from the first episode. They need to bring this show back!

Load More Reviews