Fox Does the Midseason Schedule Shuffle: Glee Goes Back to Tuesdays, Mindy Takes a Break, and The Following Gets a Two-night Premiere

By Kaitlin Thomas

Nov 22, 2013

Fox is acting like me on a Friday night when I can't decide whether I want to go out, stay in and watch The Carrie Diaries, or just re-watch Battlestar Galactica AGAIN. That is to say, Fox is switching up its midseason schedule only a few weeks after first announcing it

Earlier this fall the network pushed back the premiere of Almost Human by a couple of weeks in order to give it a two-night, football-boosted premiere. And now it appears to be doing the same thing with The Following. Instead of kicking off its second season on Monday, January 20 at 9pm after the Season 1 finale of Sleepy Hollow, The Following will now enjoy a two-night, two-episode premiere, with the first episode bowing on Sunday, January 19 at 10pm Eastern/7pm Pacific, directly after the NFC championship game, and the second one airing in its originally scheduled time slot of Monday, January 20 at 9pm.

That means new drama Rake, which was supposed to have special premiere starting after the championship game on January 19, will debut on Thursday, January 23 at 9pm after American Idolwhose schedule remains unchanged. 

But Fox's dramas aren't the only shows experiencing, uh, drama. Come the end of January, the network's Tuesday comedy block will undergo some shakeups, with The Mindy Project airing a winter finale on January 28 and then taking a months-long vacation. I hope you have a shoe nearby that you can throw, because Shulman & Associates won't be back until April 1. While Mindy's on hiatus, Brooklyn Nine-Nine will shift from 8:30pm into Dr. Lahiri's 9:30pm time slot, where it will follow New Girl, which is staying at 9pm. "But what will happen to Dads?!!" cried no one. The sitcom will continue airing on Tuesdays at 8pm until February 11, when it will air a two-episode finale. Two weeks later, on February 25, Glee will move from Thursdays to its original home of Tuesdays at 8pm. 

New comedy Enlisted will still premiere on Friday, January 10 at 9:30pm.

Now, because I know you're like, WTF does that all mean? Here's a listing of the midseason schedule with those changes:

Friday, January 10:

8-9pm Bones 

9-9:30pm Raising Hope 

9:30-10pm Enlisted (Series Premiere)

Wednesday January 15:

8-10pm American Idol (Season Premiere, Part One)

Thursday, January 16:

8-10pm American Idol (Season Premiere, Part Two)

Sunday, January 19:

6-10pm Eastern NFC Championship Game (Live)

10-11pm Eastern/7-8pm Pacific The Following (Season Premiere, Night One)

Monday, January 20:

8-9pm Sleepy Hollow (Season Finale; Special Time)

9-10pm The Following (Season Premiere, Night Two)

Thursday, January 23:

8-9pm American Idol (Time Period Premiere)

9-10pm  Rake (Series Premiere)

Tuesday, January 28:

9:30-10pm The Mindy Project (Winter Finale)

Tuesday, February 4:

9:30-10pm Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Time Period Premiere)

Tuesday, February. 25:

8-9pm Glee (Spring Premiere)

Tuesday, March 25:

9:30-10pm Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Season Finale)

Tuesday, April 1:

9-9:30pm  The Mindy Project (Spring Premiere, Part One)

9:30-10pm The Mindy Project (Spring Premiere, Part Two)

Tuesday, April 8:

9:30-10pm The Mindy Project (Time Period Premiere)

• Comments (37)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • irehawk20 Nov 25, 2013

Glee and The Mindy Project on Tuesday Nights, starting April Fools' 2014, should be interesting! New Girl will return one week later by then.

Actress heather morris, who played Brittany Pierce, got pregnant too soon making it kind lame for her to leave Glee in the wrong time. Otherwise, she may need to find a respectable babysitter while filming in this upcoming McKinley high School graduation. Afterwards, her Brittany character, along with Quinn and Sugar characters are officially axed.

Also, these sophomores, Marley, Kitty, Unique, Jake, Ryder and Joe might be forced to graduate on time with the seniors, unfortunately. Even Emma and Will are transferring to Washington DC afterwards.

I know The Mindy Project is trying focus Mindy getting along with men guests, but I think in the meantime that they are broadening too much independencies on everyone, especially the supporting cast, for no reason at all. Broadening too many independencies in any show, like TMP, can cause too many imbalances and we lose focus very badly in less than a second. Mindy Kaling and supporting actress Xosha Rushmore are gaining more popularity in this show, but we already know that it has been revealed that the negative situation Adam Pally's character Peter Prentice is convincing. He is now is getting along right now. Even the Beverly character is a big problem. The young adults fans do not like her because she acts too self-destructive to all young adult characters. But we cannot get rid of her because TMP might automatically meet its doom by the strict old TV critics. I know the old adults fans liked Beverly, but this war on her cannot end.

TMP may need to end the independent broadenings immediately and add two last characters in it to make it a total of ten. We need to hurry up and solve these problems before we reach the end of january 2014 for the winter finale. One of them has to be a young woman nurse character, who is like Peter Prentice type, and the other has to be a cranky old man doctor character to give Beverly relief on her own company level and we will make proper peace with those two cranky old people.

I find it a bad sign about Brooklyn Nine-Nine having its season one finale scheduled on late March 2014.

• missjudgment Nov 22, 2013

Oh no, so many months without Mindy... Though I do agree this season's been uneven the break will certainly not fix that.

• Aquitar94 Nov 22, 2013

I personally think it's dumb that they're moving SH's finale to 8 PM, but what do I know. They could've just done a two hour premiere for TF the following (no pun intended) week. Hope it doesn't affect the ratings much. Not looking great for Mindy, but again maybe things will work for FOX!

• Joker62002 Nov 22, 2013

Yay for the Following returning. I watch dads for the stupity of the show yet I hope it does not come back. And last this schedule is ummm let's just say wow.

• MunirRahool Nov 22, 2013

I hope they turn "The Following" around like they did with Revolution. I really want this thing to be good for sake of Kevin.

• superjulia Nov 22, 2013

Do they want to bury the Mindy Project or what? A hiatus this long is awful. I'm not saying nobody will remember it come April but the story is torn apart by this kind of scheduling. And the show was just finding its groove.

• ludoTV Nov 22, 2013

Yes sure - because the football manoeuver worked so well for Almost Human (that now looks like a loser because the second ep on the Monday lost so many viewers from the premiere), it makes sense to try it with The Following. I don't watch The Following but it makes no sense to me...

Sad for Mindy - I know it is a flawed show but it has some great absurd/touching moments. I do not find hiatus ever do good for a show unless the super smart Fox executives have some great ideas to make the show better (doubtful)

• AndreaMcCooey Nov 22, 2013

So confusing.
    This might not go down well, but I think New Girl might benefit more from a month-long hiatus than Mindy, seeing as its just not good this season. I think it needs time out to re evaluate itself, and get back to the greatness it once was. I know it was rocky at the start of S2, but even that was better than S3 so far. Schmidt is carrying the lols on the show, and even those are few and far between.
    I'm excited for The Following, I know its bad, but its so bad its good! And now that Parker is dead it can only get better, right?

• Watashii Nov 22, 2013

I'm excited for Rake. I welcome more lawyer shows because The Good Wife and Suits barely satisfy my craving for legal drama.

I wonder why they are flip flopping Glee. Glee and American Idol was a nice combo because they are both "music" shows. But then again, the only people who watch Glee nowadays are dedicated fans (like me) so the ratings are low but stable. I honestly think Glee will be on Fridays next season. Nothing wrong with that considering it already has an expire date.

But if Fox wants to keep up and have good and consistent ratings, they better stop moving their shows (Ahem, Bones).

• MirelaPilipo Nov 22, 2013

Typical FOX shenanigans! Those execs have ADD and it's been like that for waaaay too loooong - and will most likely never change. Sigh
    Then they wonder why people don't watch their shows live....

• See More Comments (11)