Rawhide

Show Reviews (4)

Great

Good stories and strong characterisation ...

By blogger68, Mar 18, 2009

One of the classic TV westerns of the late '50s and early '60s. Eric Fleming (as Gil Favor) and Clint Eastwood (as Rowdy Yates), along with all the other regulars, were excellent in their roles. Two of the regulars, Steve Raines (as Jim Quince) and Rocky Shahan (as Joe Scarlett), actually looked more like genuine cowboys than actors!

In truth eight seasons was probably a little long for this series (especially at 30 episodes a season), with the final two arguably the weakest. The axing of several cast members (including Eric Fleming) for the final season no doubt contributed to a decline in ratings. Despite this, John Ireland and Raymond St. Jacques were both worthy additions to the cast and it was interesting to see the character of Rowdy Yates in his new role as trail boss.

Overall, a quality show and definitely one worth watching.moreless

I like this show and it's all of the characters.

By matrix103, Sep 08, 2007

I love the intro movie and the song that plays in it. And lets talk about the characters: Rowdy (Clint Eastwood) has always been my #1 favorite actor. And Pete I like his role in the show. Mr. Favor I like his role too. Now Mr. Wishbone he is my favorite because he is always funny and making any excuse to make an argument over anything and I like it when Mushy is doing something and Wishbone says "Give me That" and he does a better job at it LOL!. And Mushy in the show he acts dumb I wound why that is?.moreless

Interesting but uneven.

By Mad_Buck, Jul 28, 2005

Rawhide is famous as the show which introduced Clint Eastwood and gave him his first brush with fame. Perhaps that's the way it should be remembered because as a show it was very uneven. You have to rank Rawhide a few notches below such classic westerns as Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, Maverick, and Have Gun, Will Travel. There were times when Rawhide approached the level of those shows but more often than not it fell short.

Rawhide was best when it had a top notch guest star who could carry the episode and it had quite a few. Dean Martin, Victor McLaglen, Buddy Ebsen, Peter Lorre, Walter Pidgeon, Lon Chaney, and Charles Bronson are but a few who made guest appearances on the show. If an episode of Rawhide featured a good guest star it was usually good television. If an episode concentrated mainly on the show regulars it was usually average at best.

Part of the problem with Rawhide was that it wasn't particulary well cast (and yes, that includes Clint Eastwood). Star Eric Fleming had the on-screen presence but not the acting ability to go with it. His talents were better suited to B-movies like Curse of the Undead. Sheb Wooley found more note as a singer of country parody songs than he ever did as an actor in Hollywood and as for Eastwood let's just say that he managed to improve after Rawhide's run came to an end. I will say that Paul Brinegar (as cook G. W. Wishbone) consistenly did good work even though his character was a direct copy of Wagon Train's Charlie Wooster.moreless