News Briefs: Does Showtime Have a New Hit in Ray Donovan?

By Tim Surette

Jul 09, 2013

RAY'S RISING RATINGS NEWS

... Showtime's Ray Donovan did something new shows aren't supposed to do and rose in ratings during its second week. After logging 1.35 million viewers in last week's series debut, the show drew 1.56 million viewers last night. That's a first for a Showtime series. Dexter also saw a jump from week one to week two, building on its 2.48-million-viewer final-season debut with a 2.52 tally last night. Showtime did offer both of last week's premieres online for free in advance, so that could account for the increase. Or maybe Americans were still feeling patriotic after the Fourth of July and decided to watch some murder and some sex-tape cover-ups to honor our great country. [Showtime via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... More like Bigot Brother. Awww yeah, nice burn, Tim! *self high-five* After hitting a series low in the ratings last week, CBS's Big Brother took on the much-blogged-about controversy of its racist and homophobic housemates by airing their bigoted remarks instead of avoiding them, and it paid off with a bounce-back in ratings. Following a 1.8 rating in the adult demo last week, last night's episode jumped to a 2.1, the highest since the season premiere and enough to win the night among major broadcasters. [TV By the Numbers]

... CBS and Netflix have decided to stay buddies for a little longer by renewing their streaming deals. The streaming-video service will continue to feature series from CBS's attic, including Star Trek, Twin Peaks, Jericho, and Medium, and this latest handshake will some new series from the network's family, including The L.A. Complex, The 4400, and CSI: NY. [CBS via press release]

... truTV has ordered a third season of Impractical Jokers, a hidden-camera show where four friends act like buffoons in public and record the reactions of passersby. And because it's the new hot TV trend, truTV has also ordered a follow-up chat show called Jokers After Party, where the dudes will sit around and talk about their favorite moments. I haven't seen Impractical Jokers so I can't say, but there's a good chance that Jokers After Party isn't a good idea. Season 3 of Impractical Jokers will consist of 15 episodes; Jokers After Party will get six. [truTV via press release]

... WE tv has given the greenlight to SWV – Sisters With Voices, a reality show following the comeback of '90s R&B group SWV. Look for it in early 2014. If the series doesn't explain why three soul sisters wore fencing gear in the "I'm So Into You" video, it will be a total failure. [WE tv via press release]

CASTING NEW

... Lumineers-singing kids and gay cowboys, Nashville welcomes you! ABC's country-music drama has promoted three characters for Season 2. Real-life sisters Lennon and Maisy Stella, who play Rayna James' daughters Maddie and Daphne, as well as Chris Carmack, who plays hunky homosexual-but-let's-not-tell-anyone crooner Will, have all been bumped up to series regular status. Anyone else excited for Will to sit in the front seat of a pickup truck in the rain while crying and pounding the steering wheel because he's fallen in love with another male country singer but his record label won't let him act on his urges because they want to protect his image as a lady killer? Not like I watch Nashville or anything. [THR]

... Paula Abdul will emerge from hibernation to make a guest judging appearance on Fox's So You Think You Can Dance. Fans can catch her on tomorrow night's episode. [Fox via press release]

... Community's Yvette Nicole Brown (she plays Shirley) will guest-star on an upcoming episode of Psych. We don't know any details about her role, so let's just speculate and assume she'll be playing Shawn's long-lost evil twin! [TV Line]

... Hot rumor from the Rumor Factory! James Franco might play himself in the upcoming Veronica Mars movie! Am I the only person in the world who's not going to be in this movie? [Zap2It]

... Jenny McCarthy might be the newest chatterbox to join ABC's The View. [US Weekly]

SHHHHH... DID YA HEAR?

... OMG OMG OMG Pretty Little Liars' costars Ashley Benson (she plays Hanna) and Tyler Blackburn (he plays Caleb) are totally dating IRL! [US Weekly]

• Comments (36)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Kempra Aug 12, 2013

This show is OK, but has some serious racist undertones that would not make it a great show! As if the Irish don't understand what that means in their wars with the British?

• Adicted_87 Jul 12, 2013

Why hasn't Ray Donavon 1x02 been reviewed on the site if the ratings are impressing?

• wanbliwinyan Jul 10, 2013

Excellent show...I hope this one is on for a very long time....

• No1Slayerette Jul 10, 2013

I hope Showtime has a hit with Ray, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I've enjoyed it so far.

• hockeyrick Jul 10, 2013

Ray rocks, love this show as it goes on!

• MarlboroMagpi Jul 09, 2013

Ray Donovan had a misleading promo. It led audience to believe it is a show about Hollywood fixer but its more family drama than fixer. I do not know what it is but the show reminds me of Soprano. Both at times are hard to watch.

• K_Black Jul 09, 2013

I thought the pilot for Ray Donovan was very mediocre and the second episode didn't really change my mind. But, maybe this is just not my fare. I can see it appealing to middle-aged men.

• J_Pip Jul 09, 2013

I watched the first two episodes of Ray Donovan and although I liked the cast, I just can't seem to get into it... yet.
    I can't stand the "after it airs let's sit and talk about it" shows. I just do not see what purpose they serve.

• AssandroJourn Jul 09, 2013

I think it is 4th of july that influenced on Ray Donovan's ratings because show is the worst Showtime ever had in years. I can't believe this channel gave us Brotherhood but it did.Even Hank Moody more decent as opposed to this new mediocre waste of time.

• gager19 Jul 10, 2013

do you not like the show because you cant understand the plot?or is it because its not the flintstones?

• AssandroJourn Jul 10, 2013

Plot is as simple as bad writing. This show is full of empty characters, not likable enough. I just don't care for them at all. Events are just happenning. If you promise me that that blonde singer girl character gonna vanish from the show with her ridiculous epilepsy love life then I may be give it a try one more time. And I hate Flinstones.

• Gem-n-eye Jul 09, 2013

"...and this latest handshake will some new series from the network's family, including The L.A. Complex, The 4400, and CSI: NY." Will some new series????????

• See More Comments (14)