Watch Fox's Red Band Society Pilot Now (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Aug 22, 2014

Fox has released the pilot of its new coming-of-age drama Red Band Society early, as the result of a fundraising drive that raised $100,000 in a week. But there's a catch: The episode is only available for 100 hours—until Tuesday, August 26 at 5pm Eastern— and after that you'll have to wait until the show's official premiere on Wednesday, September 17.

Red Band Society stars Octavia Spencer as nurse who works in the children's ward of a Los Angeles hospital. Narrated by a young boy in a coma, the series filters the universally understood world of young friendships, first loves, and more through the eyes of several teenagers facing life-changing (and life-threatening) challenges like cancer and heart defects. The pilot is currently available on, Fox Now, and Fox On Demand through various cable providers, but we've saved you a few clikcs by embedding the video below:

Red Band Society is the third pilot from the upcoming fall season to debut online before its official TV premiere. Last week, NBC released its romantic comedy A to Z, and on Tuesday, ABC posted Selfie, a modern take on My Fair Lady.

Red Band Society premieres Wednesday, September 17 at 9pm on Fox. Will you be tuning in, or do you not have a heart?'s 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

• Comments (18)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • modernfamily120 Aug 26, 2014

Really liked it, especially the cheerleader girl, she was just the right amount of bitchy to get the point across and be funny, but not annoy the viewers. Also, the girl with the eating disorder, the hippie, and the black nurse were very good. Can't wait for it to be here on a weekly basis (but seriously Fox, at the same time as Modern Family AND The 100?)

• mrramirez26 Aug 24, 2014

I really like it!
    Now if only FOX could keep it around...that'd be a miracle in and of itself. Please FOX, give it a fair chance, okay?

• CKgirl Aug 23, 2014

I enjoyed it quite a lot - it was a maybe on my list before, but now it's getting the patented four episode test. I really liked how the adults were with the kids in particular - the pizza delivery at the end, and the hypochondriac staying in the waiting room for the leg surgery since the kid had no family. And I think it's really great that the pilot got released early as a reward for the charity money raised.

• RebeccaVeight Aug 23, 2014

I loved it! Like ArkhamNative said kind of like The Breakfast Club, but in a children's hospital

• ArkhamNative Aug 23, 2014

It kind of reminded me of The Breakfast Club, in that it mixes kids of different backgrounds. The show's first few minutes were almost like a comedy, but it's more like a light-hearted and optimistic drama.

I liked it. The original has done two seasons so far and seems well-liked. This first episode seems like a pretty good adaptation.

• exptl Aug 23, 2014

I liked it enough that it will get the 'four week test.' The A to Z pilot did nothing for me and on that show I will pass. Selfie suprised me and will also get a 'four week test.' Looking forward to other early pilots to help me plan my Fall viewing. Sixteen returning shows are on my viewing list. I have no life.

• Eric10301 Aug 23, 2014

A bunch of angsty dying teenagers, no thanks.

• torque_smacky Aug 22, 2014

The show sounds depressing and nowhere close to my cup of tea. I can't wait to be bombarded with ads for it while I'm trying to watch Sleepy Hollow.

• Mate Aug 22, 2014

I don't know, comedies on Fox are generally hit or miss and even when they are decent they can be scrapped. I might wait to see if it gets picked up before I watch it. At least it doesn't have Zooey in it.

• thekaitling Aug 22, 2014

Red Band Society is not a comedy. It's probably best described as a dramedy.

• ArkhamNative Aug 24, 2014

For some reason I have an irrational aversion to that word, as if it's an abomination unto the English language. :-)
    Strangely I'm OK with "docudrama". I would, however, enthusiastically support the term "dromedary" (a dramedy-documentary).

• Mate Aug 22, 2014

Ok. But it doesn't change what Fox does.

• KevinG87 Aug 22, 2014

what's with using Hulu for stuff? meh I'll check Fox On Demand later.. Selfie was On Demand. haven't checked for A to Z yet.

• Carla-Wexler Aug 22, 2014

Meh? Sir, are you a goat?

• KevinG87 Aug 22, 2014

that'd be funny, too bad "meh" has been used for over 20 years...

• Carla-Wexler Aug 23, 2014

And when you are still using it in 30 years, you'll still be sounding like a goat.

• antdude Aug 23, 2014

• See More Comments (1)