Rick Mercer Report

Show Reviews (5)

Fair
6.3

CBC finally does something worth watching, putting Canadian Tax Dollars to work.

By bigbuddies69, Jan 25, 2011

This is CBC best show, hands down. Rick Mercer has a unique charm to him that allows him to have fun with his guests, but never seems cruel or harsh.

Any show that can make Canadian politics interesting and funny on a weekly basis deserves a spot on your television schedule. The best thing about the "RICK MERCER REPORT" is that you stay entertained, but you also learn something new every episode.

If Rick Mercer is what we need to keep Canadians interested in what goes on in there country, then I say we put him to work, make it a daily show. I don't know if Rick will be as willing to do so, but hey, he's a canuck, he can take it.

Go grab a coffee from Timmy's and enjoy some real good Canadian content.moreless

Pointless

By cynthiabel, Jan 25, 2011

They should rename this show "Rick Mercer goes some place and talks to people about boring this that he is not good at" because that is all that ever happens in this show. He does a few bad jokes i.e. headlines or makes up lame captions for pictures in the news and all the jokes are obvious and aimed at old people. Most of the show is him talking to people, for example he will go to a university and talk to the gymnastics team and try to do tricks with them, or he visits a wind tunnel and talks to the scientists there and he puts himself in the wind tunnel. I used to love him but he got real old, real predictable and real boring real fast. What happened to the old Rick Mercer who had important things to say and who was really funny on This Hour Has 22 Minutes?moreless

As with Jon Stewart...

By sandbur, Jan 25, 2011

...absolutely nothing and no one is sacred on The RMR, and I can appreciate that. With a few glaring exceptions, his pokes at people and situations are in good taste, and if nothing else, give food for thought. I did think "Talking to Americans" (which is quite separate from RMR) was a bit over the top and occasionally insulting to those in the U.S., who, lets face it, generally neither know nor care what happens in Canada.

That fact can be entertaining when addressed properly, but I don't appreciate put downs of others unless they are equally balanced with exploitation of our own many and varied foibles. Generally RMR does just that, and makes us laugh at ourselves as well as others. And almost more importantly, he gives weekly profile to Canadian people, places and events that are uniquely "us" and enhances national pride just that little bit in the doing of it.

Net result?: I enjoy RMR, and I am a bit more proud of "us". :o}moreless

So Sad

By artfarts, Jan 25, 2011

This show makes me so sad because I used to really be a fan of the work Rick Mercer did on This Hour Has 22 Minutes but ever since he left he has not been funny at all and also This Hour Has 22 Minutes has sucked too. Sad to say it and wish it wasn't true but CBC really needs to cancel both of these shows. All they do is basic jokes we already come up with in our own heads about the headlines in the day's paper, with This Hour Has 22 Minutes also doing terrible unfunny sketches and Rick Mercer doing bad jokes and visiting people across the country to do what they do. Like he is going to a fort in New Brunswick and while he's there he dresses up like one of the re-enactors and fires the cannon and jumps in the air like he's afraid of the noise, then says "le boom" which I guess is supposed to be funny because it's french? Then he takes out his sword to salute and "accidentally" (obviously on purpose which makes me sad) bumps his sword into the cannon as he raises it. It's like watching very old Jerry Lewis do his telethon, his attempts at being funny are so forced, so predictable and so lame I just can't watch it any more. One of the worst shows on TV and one of the biggest wastes of talent.moreless