Rick Mercer Report

Fair
6.3

Great show

By whoombat, Jan 25, 2011

I was always a big fan of Rick Mercer (being a fellow Newfoundlander), from his days of stand-up to "This hour has 22 minutes" and now this show. I've been a faithful viewer since day one, and I've loved it. This show is a sort of hybrid between "it's a living", and all the other political comedies. My history teacher often shows excerts from this show in class, because he believes that it's a good way to see how the material we cover blends into the real world. Ever since Mercer left 22 minutes that show has sucked so it's obvious where the talent came from. I recommend this show to any person that can view it, because it's just plain fun. And you just might learn something, too.moreless

CBC finally does something worth watching, putting Canadian Tax Dollars to work.

By bigbuddies69, Jan 25, 2011

This is CBC best show, hands down. Rick Mercer has a unique charm to him that allows him to have fun with his guests, but never seems cruel or harsh.

Any show that can make Canadian politics interesting and funny on a weekly basis deserves a spot on your television schedule. The best thing about the "RICK MERCER REPORT" is that you stay entertained, but you also learn something new every episode.

If Rick Mercer is what we need to keep Canadians interested in what goes on in there country, then I say we put him to work, make it a daily show. I don't know if Rick will be as willing to do so, but hey, he's a canuck, he can take it.

Go grab a coffee from Timmy's and enjoy some real good Canadian content.moreless

Pointless

By cynthiabel, Jan 25, 2011

They should rename this show "Rick Mercer goes some place and talks to people about boring this that he is not good at" because that is all that ever happens in this show. He does a few bad jokes i.e. headlines or makes up lame captions for pictures in the news and all the jokes are obvious and aimed at old people. Most of the show is him talking to people, for example he will go to a university and talk to the gymnastics team and try to do tricks with them, or he visits a wind tunnel and talks to the scientists there and he puts himself in the wind tunnel. I used to love him but he got real old, real predictable and real boring real fast. What happened to the old Rick Mercer who had important things to say and who was really funny on This Hour Has 22 Minutes?moreless

As with Jon Stewart...

By sandbur, Jan 25, 2011

...absolutely nothing and no one is sacred on The RMR, and I can appreciate that. With a few glaring exceptions, his pokes at people and situations are in good taste, and if nothing else, give food for thought. I did think "Talking to Americans" (which is quite separate from RMR) was a bit over the top and occasionally insulting to those in the U.S., who, lets face it, generally neither know nor care what happens in Canada.

That fact can be entertaining when addressed properly, but I don't appreciate put downs of others unless they are equally balanced with exploitation of our own many and varied foibles. Generally RMR does just that, and makes us laugh at ourselves as well as others. And almost more importantly, he gives weekly profile to Canadian people, places and events that are uniquely "us" and enhances national pride just that little bit in the doing of it.

Net result?: I enjoy RMR, and I am a bit more proud of "us". :o}moreless