Rocko's Modern Life

Show Reviews (184)

Great

Rocko Monder Life Rocks!

By minimew2020, May 06, 2014

One of My favroite Nick Show got canned for no reason beacause it's werid yet CatDog is re-runing itself Why?

beacsue they want childern to watch bullies alway win well for one thing CatDog is more "Tak & the Power of Juju" than "Veggietales" slick if soul less

but Rocko will alway be Nick's verson of Veggietales beacause Ed Big Head never overdose the villian thing like Rancid Rabbit so Nick, I ask you to Bring it Back beause Link TV got an E-Mail saying that Rocko should air on May on Link TV Rock will always be loved by millions, Bring it Back.

I think it's kind of stupid that the 90's Are All That would replace this show for that dumb CatDog show. CatDog is TeenNick's version of Johnny Test. (hate CatDog now?)moreless

Top Shows (of the 90s)

By anastasia1243, Feb 08, 2014

Various ep (96-00)

Good show, but I prefer spongebob.

By fosterfan123, Oct 21, 2013

This show was a pretty cool show. I didn't exactly grew up with it, but when I first watched it when I was 10, I really liked it. The show has really nice and fluid animation and the slapstick is pretty good too. But sometimes, the show can get reeeeeeeeealy wierd. Like in one episode, mr bighead imagined a meatball coming to life and then they went out on a date or something. And in another episode, rocko's teeth came to life, grew extra large and started acting like gozilla. Ooooookaaay? Also I can't beleive how many sexual innuendos this show got away with! If any modern cartoon was like this show, it would probably piss of a million soccermoms. But overall, really cool, but also really weird show. But I like spongebob better.moreless

best show on nick

By Thedudecreeper, Mar 23, 2013

This show is amazing. Nick is really struggling now, with 'rocket monkeys' and 'hearts and farts'. Nicks glory days were obviously the 1900s. The shows like ren and stimpy, angry beavers, and rockos modern life, it was the best kids station. But with constant Spongebob, teen shows, and Nick studio 10, it sucks. Nick should bring these shows back.

Classic

By The_simpsonsFan, Jan 26, 2013

Title says it all

Nickelodeon is trying to cover this show up.

By DrPooptickler, Oct 19, 2012

They never put this show in their Nick Rewind segments, or even put it on demand. Other shows, such as Catdog, Angry Beavers, Rugrats, and even Ren and Stimpy are always on demand or on the nick rewind. This will not do. They need to reshow this gem so the next generation can know what an awesome cartoon this was, and still is.

Awsome Show

By CartoonFreak666, Oct 17, 2012

This show was awsome. I love Rocko's Modern Life. I wish it was never cancelled.

Amazing. Period.

By Drips, Sep 27, 2012

I can't really explain the awesomeness of this show into words, all I can say is Rocko's Modern Life is one of the greatest cartoons from the 90s. Why they ended it? I have no idea. All I can say is that the show was clever and funny and it was really entertaining. Sure, it did show some elements unsuitable for children, but hey, it seems like every show did that back in the day. The creator of this went on to create what again? Camp Lazlo? Yeah...Definately didn't live up to this masterpiece.moreless

why cancelled?

By afliador8, Jul 30, 2012

The series was within my top ninety, until I found out (from the wikipedia) that it had A LOT of sexual content and reference. After that, it came into my top 50. Too good for its era, I guess

The Golden 90s

By Like_Clockwork, Jul 28, 2012

For me, the 90s were the golden age of cartoons but maybe because that's when I grew up? I think it's more than that. This was around the time cartoons more commonly started integrating some more adult content. I'm fully aware that The Flintstones was THE first animated series directed towards adults, but at the time, it was still considered a tame show. Then my point leads to The Simpsons which was an IDEAL 90s animated series. The Simpsons catered to adults in a more vigor way, however, children might have a hard time getting into it.

However, this all might've triggered a new wave of cartoon influence that also eventually leaked into the channels directed towards children. Nickelodeon in this case, Cartoon Network... not so much. There's still one element I want to talk about still so I'll come back to this.

THE 90s Nick show according to the general is Ren & Stimpy. Ren & Stimpy combines a retrospective level of animation and physics associated with Looney Toons even and fuses with occasional adult content. I've watched a lot of cartoons back then, including Ren & Stimpy and the subject here; Rocko's Modern Life. Enjoy them both, but at the time I was also oblivious to the adult content while obviously not pushing through the PG line, yet, my attention remains captured because these shows are about appealing to children and adults alike which was an issue finally addressed. Because you have the anthropomorphic characters fashioned through animation/physics of a 40s/50s revival type of style and pairs it with occasional references that the "adults" would understand.

When these shows' respective series have ended, yes I did move on, until around mid 2000s I remember catching a Rocko's Modern Life episode late at night on a Nick channel and it was heart-warming, brought back memories. Nostalgia effect probably, but because I have aged a little more, I now understand more things about these two shows than I previously haven't.

But now the history lesson is out of the way I want to settle the score in which of those two shows I actually like more. Rocko likely derived from Ren & Stimpy which sparked a little accusation of parasitism (I don't care about this. Influence is natural and I do believe in exceeding over your peers). Animation fluency and physics from both shows are good and you'll always get an element of laugh-ability from either. Ren & Stimpy however did last longer.

But now here is why I prefer Rocko's Modern Life. It has all of the contents I've previously described, yet it still manages to be warm and homey where as Ren & Stimpy might get a little carried away. I have a far bigger connection to the characters as well. Rocko himself is a mild-mannered down to Earth wallaby, friendly, not looking for attention, but nevertheless situations that dart at him brings the most out of his character, including timidness, sadness and irritation. Rocko is probably my favorite cartoon character ever created. Heffer the steer is a mooch (in a good way) and sort of like a frat boy buddy to Rocko. Filburt is a finicky and oftentimes bi-polar turtle.

The setting is like everyday life of young adulthood (love, finance, community, etc) with realistic elements and some fantasy ones mixed together and it oftentimes parodies/satires some of the objects on the show to real life.

All together, there are so many elements in this show, elements that would even seem to contrast with each other... but it doesn't. Childish, adult, warm, punishing, friendly, aggressive. All of it is there. I just wish the show didn't stop at 4 seasons, because I can't get enough of it.

I'm not discrediting Ren & Stimpy by any means. It's still my second favorite animated series ever.moreless

Load More Reviews