Change Is Coming to HBO Very Soon

By Cory Barker

Feb 13, 2014

We're only six weeks into the new year, and 2014 is already shaping up to be a fascinating one for a number of networks. It's easy to point to CBS scooping up Thursday-night NFL games and speculate over the upheaval that purchase might bring to the Eyeball's successful comedy block, or what it's going to do to NBC's, uh, less successful Thursday comedy block. Or we could look ahead to some of the event series that FX and other networks have planned, as obvious BIG things to come this year. But a slew of recent programming changes and developments at HBO means that the pay cabler, with its ever-increasing subscriber base, could actually have the most interesting road ahead. Change is coming to HBO over the next 12 to 18 months, and it could alter the network forever.

Changes Are Afoot

I don't mean to put HBO on blast or suggest that the network is in any MAJOR TROUBLE. When you've got Game of Thrones, a show that seems to keep growing in popularity and pop culture impact, capital-G Great comedies like Veep and Girls, and then you bring in a cool concept like True Detective that appears to have caught on with audiences, you're not in MAJOR TROUBLE, or even major trouble. Nevertheless, here's what we've learned about HBO since the beginning of 2014:

(1) Boardwalk Empire, a show that's really grown into its own over the past two years, will conclude after five seasons in the fall of this year.

HBO is touting the end date as if it was dictated by showrunner Terence Winter, and while that absolutely may be true, it's difficult not to assume that HBO might be a little disappointed that Boardwalk didn't grow into the post-Sopranos super-show the network hoped it would when it launched back in 2010. Boardwalk's ratings haven't been spectacular, and award shows haven't been all that enamored with it either. With all that in play and a massive cast/huge production budget, HBO had probably had enough—even if HBO says it doesn't care about ratings.

(2) The Newsroom will conclude its relatively brief and pretty bumpy run with a third season slated to air this fall, probably alongside Boardwalk Empire in some fashion.

Although I'd argue that The Newsroom improved in some moderately important ways in Season 2, it's kind of been a disaster from the beginning, hasn't it? The second season had some weird production issues because Aaron Sorkin scrapped a few storylines, and then HBO took a loooong time to commit to the third and ultimately final season. Plus, the ratings weren't that impressive, and outside of Jeff Daniels' troll Emmy win last fall, the accolades weren't exactly pouring in.

(3) Family Tree and Hello Ladies—two less-heralded but pretty solid comedies—are both dunzo.

This news came out long after HBO's sessions at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour had concluded, and near the end of a work week at that. It makes sense that HBO wouldn't want to field questions about canceling two freshman offerings, but these moves were surprising nonetheless. Heck, even Enlightened made it to Season 2.

(4) Looking, the network's brand-spankin'-new comedy about three gay men in San Francisco, debuted to terrible ratings.

Like, Enlightened levels of terrible. That's not necessarily bad news because HBO shows tend to grow their audiences over time, but Looking held onto only half of Girls' already small viewership. It's certainly not good news. 

Supplementing these four developments are some important pieces of news that we already knew: True Blood, HBO's summer staple, is also bowing out this year, and Treme and Eastbound and Down just wrapped up their multi-year runs in the fourth quarter of 2013. 

The Mass Exodus

So, if I'm doing the math correctly, by the end of 2014, HBO will have said goodbye to EIGHT original series that appeared on its schedule at some point in 2013 (this includes Enlightened, which aired early in 2013, but does not include co-productions like Life's Too Short or Ja'mie: Private School Girl). If Looking flails and HBO gets impatient, that number could rise.

Even for a powerhouse like HBO, that's a lot of programming to shuttle off the schedule. Technically, with so many shows on the way out, HBO would only be left with Game of ThronesTrue DetectiveGirls, Looking, and Veep (and I guess Curb Your Enthusiasm, assuming Larry David wants to do more of it at some point in the nebulous future). We also know that three shows—The LeftoversSilicon Valley, and Togetherness—are still to come this year, starting in April when Silicon Valley makes its debut. Three shows replacing eight is quite the difference. This is HBO's biggest mass exodus since the 2006-2007 period, when it said goodbye to The SopranosDeadwoodJohn From CincinnatiExtrasLucky Louie, Tell Me You Love Me, and Rome

Now, bidding farewell to The Sopranos and Deadwood within a year is a much bigger challenge to overcome than losing The Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire, and HBO actually did struggle to find itself there for a bit in the mid-aughts. The loss of shows like Family Tree and Treme won't be THAT hard to overcome, because of a perceived lack of audience and age, respectively. Nevertheless, True Blood has done big business for HBO, its fluctuating quality aside, and it won't be immediately replaceable in that plum summer spot. Boardwalk might not be a Sopranos stand-in, but it's a damn good show. And Eastbound and Down happens to be one of the greatest comedy series of the last decade, starring a relatively recognizable leading man. This won't be easy.

A New Class of Showrunner

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of these show departures is who's going with them. Unless something changes quickly, for the first time in a while, we'll be looking at an HBO without a show developed or run by someone affiliated with The Sopranos, DeadwoodThe Wire, or Six Feet Under. People like David Chase, David Simon, David Milch, Alan Ball, and Terence Winter have been making big, "important" dramas for HBO for a long time. And some of them are likely to return to HBO in the very new future—Milch has a pilot in the works that could probably make it to air by 2015. But still, it's weird to think about not having that lineage on HBO's schedule. Those dudes are all part of an era of programming that changed both the network and television forever. 

In their place, HBO has inked deals with folks who could be seen as the next class of high-profile showrunners/producers. Judd Apatow brought the initial name recognition to Girls, but Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner have made the show into something special. D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have pulled off quite a feat with Game of Thrones. And so far, handing over the True Detective reigns to first-time showrunner and novelist Nic Pizzolatto is working out pretty well

Looking at the network's upcoming projects, The Leftovers is adapted from the book of the same name by Lost's Damon Lindelof. Togetherness is from the Duplass brothers. Just yesterday, the network ordered Utopia—an adaptation of a British series from David Fincher and Gone Girl novelist and screenwriter Gillian Flynn—to series. Clearly impressed by the upcoming TV movie The Normal Heart, HBO is also developing a pilot with Ryan Murphy called Open. And an adaptation of Westworld from J.J. Abrams and Jonah Nolan. There's no guarantee that Open and Westworld will make it to air, of course, and not every upcoming HBO project fits my thesis (Silicon Valley is from Mike Judge) but these projects are still a signal of what HBO is interested in growing into, and who it's interested in associating with. Maybe this means the network wants to get a little younger, or that it hopes to bring in the diehards who love Lindelof, Murphy, Abrams, and Nolan.

What's to Come

A lot of HBO's series are moving out in 2014, many of them with recognizable names attached. The channel is better-equipped to keep things going than it was when The Sopranos left. Yet, the amount of competition is always increasing, with competitors like Netflix putting a whole lot of time and resources into projects that, a decade ago, probably would have at least been in contention at HBO. I don't necessarily think that HBO is in trouble, or that it should be too terrified of what Netflix is trying to do. And I don't want to mythologize the network too much. But HBO got where it is by pushing television in new directions. To stay on top of Netflix or Showtime or whatever other entity puts out original programming in the next few years, HBO will have to continue to do that. And perhaps moving on from good-but-not-great shows like Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, and branching out from the same small group of creative masterminds, is actually the first step in making sure HBO can continue to dominate. 

• Comments (101)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • rpishells Jun 18, 2014

The only 2 shows on this list I personally have experienced is True Blood, and Boardwalk Empire. I'm really sad that both of these shows are going. I understand True Blood's ending as I think they've made the show incredibly rediculous over the past few seasons. Soon you're going to start seeing unicorns and goblins, on the show... Perhaps a leprechaun or two. I'll still be sad however knowing the show has ended. Boardwalk Empire on the other hand is a very acquired taste in my opinion. So many people I know find it incredibly boring, but I don't feel they are able to sink into the depth and awesomeness this show has. I guess I can relate however, as many of my friends are Arrested Development fans, and that was a show I could not seem to get myself into.

Anyways, I really do hope that HBO gets a variety of new original series that will bring back quality shows. With HBO's ability to have more control over the content, I've really enjoyed a lot of their shows.

• ebrown2112 Jun 04, 2014

"Boardwalk's ratings haven't been spectacular, and award shows haven't been all that enamored with it either."

Yeah, it won only 17 Emmys.

• joycegalura Jul 05, 2014

but all in technical aspects of the show like sound mixing

• Dirk13 May 15, 2014

I just hope we don't have to relive another John From Cincinnati *shudder*, those were dark times indeed..

• MikeUK123 Mar 28, 2014

I think Newsroom is one of the most underrated shows ever.

It is a simple concept, written and played out extremely well. It's a story about people that does not rely on forced action or drama.

It seems the overload of action and drama that most TV shows try to include has dulled our senses.

• Chexworth Feb 24, 2014

HBO has survived the loss of shows before and I'm confident they'll come up with a new crop before too long. It's quite good that they tend to end their shows after a reasonable run rather than pumelling them for numerous seasons until they're drained of all their fun. Most shows have a limited lifespan as the writers usually don't want to repeat themselves and the pool of original storylines start to dry up. Even the great shows like The Sopranos, The Wire and Six Feet Under were just on the borders of running out of steam when they decided to wrap them up - and all three finished with sublime finales and will remain perfect in their entirety. You only need to look at the disasterous dragging final few seasons of Dexter to see how not to do it.

I'm sad to see Boardwalk Empire go and I'm a little disappointed that it never capitalised on the potential promised by the first season - but I think it's time to put it out to pasture. Ditto True Blood. However, I truly hope they could find some way to put together an Al Capone spin-off with Stephen Graham in the lead. He was always the best thing in it and lit up the screen every time he was on it. We've only just been introduced to the character and we all know how great a show it would be if we could follow his continued rise to power. Please HBO, make it happen.

• spklvr12 Feb 17, 2014

I really hope Looking's ratings will increase. It had a slow start, but the last couple of episodes have been amazing. Trucker 'Stach and Hipster Beard has gotten a lot more interesting too.

• antmorris3511 Feb 17, 2014

Never watched and Dont care....
    Treme and Eastbound and Down
    Family Tree and Hello Ladies
    The Newsroom and Looking.

Treme blended drama with musical performances in a very bad way. The music generally sucked.

Eastbound and Down...the season in Mexico! Awesomely weird and funny!

• dagrimmreepa Feb 18, 2014

Wow. So excellent jazz and soul sucks, does it? Glad I don't have your taste.

• antmorris3511 Feb 18, 2014

excellent jazz and soul rocks and ive listened to both all my life. tremes music generally sucked and i am glad i dont have your inability to live with opinions other than your own.

i couldn't get into Treme either...uh,,,but...you said you never watched it...????

• antmorris3511 Jul 05, 2014

I saw almost every episode of treme, but I didnt care when it was canceled. The other shows I never watched.

• olafweyer Feb 15, 2014

I tried watching Boardwalk Empire (first season), but the total absence of humor or a tiny bit of self irony just kills it for me. No, it's even deeper than that, those character's don't enjoy anything they are doing not only for a second. Honestly, i can't fathom why they don't just all commit suicide. Sorry, but i won't tag along, somewhere along the road, there's smiles waiting for me.

I enjoy the quality and atmosphere of Boardwalk...with season 1 and 4 being my favorites...but I can easily understand why it's not for everybody...i am disappointed that it has not been a lot better than it is. I like it, enjoy watching it...but i dont love it and can't defend it.

• antmorris3511 Feb 17, 2014

BE has some humor but it aint slapstick. Its more subtle. It gets incredibly boring and stagnant at times.They have all these characters who they hardly use and the story progression is just too slow, not to mention they seem to reuse arcs by shifting them onto other characters. It was a great show but I wont be sorry or disappointed when it ends because it mocks the viewership of its most enamored fans by providing filler and refried beans, repeatedly.

• MollyScandalicious Feb 14, 2014

HBO has that brand new show coming up this Fall ''The Running Dead'' which will be in direct competition with TWD. I predict it will be a hit not as big as TWD since HBO is a paid channel but nonetheless a hit. Can't wait for it.

• MarlboroMagpi Feb 14, 2014

It sounds like The Walking Dead ripoff ! Surprise HBO would do something like that.

• MollyScandalicious Feb 15, 2014

Yep, they passed on the show now that it is a Mega Hit, they wanna get their share. The 28 Days guy is the maker of TRD!

sure

• See More Comments (34)