Part 5

Episode Reviews (1)

Superb

Not one of the best...

By MyCritique, May 11, 2007

There was something about this installment that bothered me and I had noted it some 30 years ago when it first aired, and I noticed it during the occasional reruns over the years, and noticed it once again when I recently re-watched it - And that had to do with Leslie Uggams as "Kizzy" and Sandy Duncan as "Missy Anne Reynolds". I don't know if was the dialog or just the acting, but both of these characters were developed and portrayed to be spoiled brats. I would expect such children and teens may have existed among the enslaved families of the time, but I seriously doubt that they would have survived to adulthood that way. And perhaps this was because both actresses were attempting to play roles of a teen and a young woman who were much younger than they were in real life. I.e., Leslie Uggams, at age 33 at the time of shooting, could not have been expected to be a 16 year old no matter how hard she tried. Sandy Duncan, a few years younger than Leslie Uggams was almost as bad but was at least a wee bit closer to her character's age in relative terms. Perhaps these younger roles of the characters, even if only shown in part of the episode, should have gone to actresses closer to the age of the part. Outside of them, even Robert Reed was a bit off here, suddenly made out to be a bit too pretentious.

Alternately, Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs did a great job playing "Noah" as a quiet, somewhat introverted radical - a role very different from his comedic Freddy "Boom Boom" Washington character in "Welcome Back Kotter" which was running at the time, so kudos to him.

All in all, this could have been better.moreless