Into That Good Night (2)

Episode Reviews (56)

Great

Brilliant Doesn't Even Come Close

By IHeartSB, Apr 29, 2014

I had always heard growing up how the finale of this show ranks up there as one of the greatest, but I was just slightly too young to really appreciate it when it first aired. About 10 years after it first aired, I was finally able to watch it and brilliant just doesn't even begin to describe the episode for me. Roseanne the person had evolved tremendously throughout the course of the series and had become a huge star in her own right that she figured she had complete creative control over the show, particularly in the later seasons. When she sill found herself answering to the crew and network suits by the 9th season, she decided to take matters into her own hand. I have always viewed this episode as a giant middle finger to viewers everywhere. I can see why many people at the time didn't really like it. They saw it a s cop out to explain away what was the worst season ever of the show. Yes she did that, but the explanation goes deeper. She also provides a reasoning for the entire series and why some choices were made and others not made. Many series have had clever ways to explain why things happened the way they did (two of the best being the entire season of "Dallas" after . was shot being Sue Ellen's dream and explaining away the entirety of the series "Newhart" being Bob from The Bob Newhart Show's dream) but none have done it quite like Roseanne and I venture anyone to find a series finale episode as brilliant as this one since. Most series these days you can see the finale episode and it's attempt to give the characters closure from a mile away (How I Met Your Mother, I'm talking to you) and the shockers that change the face of TV are single episodes squeezed into the scope of a much larger series. As for "Roseanne" the show and more specifically this episode deserves its place in TV history as one of the most iconic and groundbreaking shows ever to grace our screens. The only disappointment for me was not being old enough to experience this masterpiece as it was originally airing on ABC. I watch reruns all the time on cable, but they severely edit the episodes to make more room for commercials and the main intention of many of the episodes are lost.moreless

The series finale made up for the entire season 9

By luv70s, Jan 05, 2013

I have to say every show goes downhill after quite a few seasons and it seemed like they just gave up on the show before the network did. There were so many pointless episodes in season 9, very unrealistic moments and some very great episodes but the series finale and its plot made up for all that went wrong that season. It was clever and fit in with the finale of season 8. It made me love the show again. I thought too that since s9 lacked Dan so much that he DID die from the heart-attack after all. As sad as it was to let go of this show it really also was a relief. Roseanne is one of my all time favorites and I have more pleasant moments than not.moreless

fitting end to a great show

By Dean67, Sep 18, 2011

For the most part, critics panned this episode. After all, Roseanne had pretty much gone down the tubes in it's later years with rather silly story lines.

But this final episode was so fitting and necessary, that it could be easily seen why some were left with a bad taste in their mouths, yet others, such as this writer, where left feeling sad and chilled about the outcome.

Still, it was a wonderful conclusion to a terrific show.

When Roseanne sits down alone on that old, dusty couch, it fades out to the hauntingly beautiful voice of Phoebe Snow singing the words to the shows song.

There was not show like Roseanne on television, and after already 9 years off the air, there probably will never be.moreless

Nice ending to a great show.

By BornToHum, Sep 18, 2011

The series finale of "Roseanne" reveals things I never would have guessed. Who knew that Jackie was gay, Dan died after his heart attack, Darlene was with Mark, and Becky was with David? I thought it was a really good ending to an amazing show. No matter how many times I watch this episode, it will always leave me tearing up.

Roseanne's Coup

By scorpiongold84, Sep 18, 2011

The series finale of Roseanne ranks up there with last episode of Newhart and Star Trek: The Next Generation. There are many people who did not like this episode and it will forever remain in controversy. Roseanne took back her concept which had been in the hands of other people for over a decade. She wrote the story the way she wanted it to be, and for that I appluad her. I still get teary eye when I see the finale.moreless

Everyone who reviews this episode as poor obviously never watched it when it first premiered. This episode was a classic and one of the strangest and most unique endings I have seen.

By -Master_K-, Sep 18, 2011

Everyone who review's this episode badly think differently because they are just seeing the finale now... If you were alive or liked Roseanne back when the series finale first premiered, you would think differently. There is a different feel looking back at the episode now then at the time it premiered.

I really think that this series is amazing, I mean how many people can say that a show was purely controlled by one person and in the series finale, Roseanne is able to show her female dominance once again for the last time.

moreless

Roseanne reveals that the final series was what she wrote, how she wished things had been?

By mylkman88, Sep 18, 2011

It was genious how Roseanane wrote about how she wished the Connors had money just to see what it would be like, and Roseanne wrote how they were really better off without it, moral being that money does not brig happiness.

The series finale was a tearjerker because it meant that Roseanne was over, and even though the episode was strange, it was great because it left the show as a legacy.

BRilliant!

This episode was a happy, yet sad ending. Very touching, and very well written. I first thought when I saw this episode, that Roseanne was in the future at the end. It surprised me when I found out that it was just a story. It was very, very, very touchin

By wuzup27, Sep 18, 2011

It was an amazing perspective on a regular person's life. From the very first episode, I knew that it was going to be special series. I was wrong. It wasn't special, it was phenominal. Anyone who has not yet seen this episode, or has never watched the series, should at least check it out.

This episode is very revealing and truth comes to light when Roseanne tells us many lives that have been changed while writing her book.

By megan792, Sep 18, 2011

This was the final part of the final 2 part episode of perhaps one of the greatest sitcoms on television ever. This ties everything throughout the series we've seen so far, and tells the truth of many different situations at once. For instance, who the kids were married to, who was actually gay and did Roseanne really win the lottery? I don't know, you'll have to wait and see it. But the end will leave you in tears, it was as good as any movie climax I've ever seen, and all I can say is from the realistic stand-point, it was the best way to end the series.moreless

Load More Reviews