Zach Galifianakis/Vampire Weekend

Episode Reviews (5)

Good
7.4

I'm going to go sit in the car truck

By bry456, Oct 17, 2010

Alternative comedy favorite, Zach Galifianakis hosts, while quirky Paul Simon influence rock quartet Vampire Weekend make their second appearance.

Cold Open- Health Care Reform- Pres. Obama (Fred), House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Kristin), and Senate Majority leader Harry Reid (Will) speak about how unpopular healthcare reform is and the likeihood of reelection is 2010 for Reid and Pelosi. The topical political sketch is out of the way. Too bad is wasn't that funny.

Monologue- Zach explains what he look likes (there were many of these, my favorite, marijuana santa claus), living in Brooklyn, and explains more about himself while playing piano. Probably the best monologue in quite some time.

Volgolcheks at Grandpa's Funeral- The kissing family (Fred, Kristin, Bill, Bobby) continue their overly affectionate antics, this time while at their patriarch's funeral. Next...

Beidet- A couple (Zach, Kristin) querie a bellboy (Andy) about the beidet in their hotel bathroom and all its features. Thin premise, but for some reason the delivery of Zach's line made me smile.

Galifianakis Drops By the Set (film)- Zach finds himself in various scenes of tv shows, from 30 Rock to Saturday Night Live circa 1984. Something about Zach as a child with a beard sitting in the audience of the Robin Williams/Adam Ant episode of SNL makes me giggle.

Today Show- Hoda and Kathie Lee (Jenny, Kristin) chat, check Facebook messages with correspondent (Abby), while Zach appears from outside the chagrin of Hoda. This was saved only by the oddness of Galifianikis.

Vampire Weekend perform the rapid melodicism (is that a word?) of "Cousins"

Weekend Update- Mo'Nique (Kenan) about not being able to fit acceptance speech at the Academy Awards into the allotted 45-seconds; a goat chase set to the "Benny Hill" theme; Will sings "Women's Herstory: Do You See What I did". Fairly bland Update

What's Up With That? - Lindsay Buckingham (Bill), is joined by Paul Rudd and New York Times columnist Frank Rich but all are ignored as Deondre Cole (Kenan) continues to sing his show's theme song. You know what is up with the writers for allowing this weak sketch to appear four times in five months.

The Situation Room- Wolf Blitzer (Jason), Jack Cafferty (Bill), Gloria Borger (Kristin), Christine Amanpour (Nasim) report on issues facing campuses but only find homoerotic college pictures and a dancing party guy (Zach). Eh

Vampire Weekend return with more melodic nerd rock on "Giving Up the Gun"

Pagaent Talk- A southern pagaent father (Zach) and his Miss Teen USA winning daughter (Jenny) endures banter with cigarette smoking wife (Kristin) and effeminate male paegant contestant (Bill). Apparently, the character Zach played is apart of his stand up act. Decent 5-to-1 sketch however.

While most of this show was reheated material, Zach gave it his all in a few sparks and flashes. 6/10moreless

This was one of the funniest ones I've seen in a while!

By agithacristyfan, Oct 17, 2010

When I first heard that Zach Galifianakis was hosting SNL, I was dissapointed. "Oh boy, here we go. SNL is so desperate their getting the fat dude from The Hangover to host." But as soon as he opened his mouth in the momlouge, I realized how hilarious he was. "I live in Brooklyn...*audiance clapping*...I hate it." I admit, the skits weren't 100% LOL, but they were funny. Especially when we see Zach visiting the sets of popular TV shows. "Hey Anthony...bang bang!" (Law and Order). I was very pleased with this episode and hope he comes on again. Way to go Zach! :)moreless

Maybe it's because Zack is from NY, but why was everyone dying of laughter so badly?

By aldaros23, Oct 17, 2010

Didn't mind this episode too much. It was okay at best. Some good parts and some not funny parts = overall meh. Zach G... (yeah, lazy to spell it out) delivered a great opening monologue. Grade: A (I loved when he snapped at the SNL band). Opening: Political... not that funny. Grade: D

The Kissing Family: best part was the dog though, have to say. Overall, just meh, done already. Grade: C

The Bidet: I actually liked this one. A little over the top, but well done. Grade: A-

Zach Appears On Set: I agree with -thefanof-. It was kinda dumb. I don't know why everyone was laughing so hard? I guess Zack just looks so out of place. But him just standing there doesn't make me laugh. I did like the Law and Order bit though. Giving this a Grade: B- Weekend Update: Have to agree, it was pretty weak. Keenan as Monique wasn't that great. Grade: C+ (even the news headlines weren't that great this week).

What's Up With That: Not bad... Kinda getting repetitive now though. Give it about a B- overall.

Final Sketch: Thought it was okay as well. Not that great though, but slightly funnier than some others. Grade B.

Overall: Zack is funny (I've seen his standup), but I don't understand why the audience laughed so hard when Zack just stood there most of the time? Probably b/c he's from NY, just like most of the audience.moreless

Horrible.

By thefanof, Oct 17, 2010

The man whose name you cannot spell, Zach Galifianakis was your host tonight. Would he become an American hero like Hulk Hogan or Stonewall Jackson, or would he be the next January Jones?

Cold Opening: Your generic political opening sketch, minus the laughs.

Monologue: This is the first time I've probably heard Zach say more than a few words, and I am not a fan.

The Kissing Family: Yet another sketch that has become recurring on the show, this one after first appearing on James Franco's episode. If you saw the first one then this shouldn't shock you.

The Bidet: A sketch about a couple that obsesses over the usage of a bidet for their sexual endeavors. Not funny.

Zach Appears On Set: Stupid. weekend Update: Two bad stop-bys for Kenan and Will, and not any good Seth zingers. Nothing bazinga about this episode thus far.

What's Up With That: It's sad that the first appearance of Jason Sudeikis was him dancing in the background of this. It'll be a good day when SNL finally ends this. Final Sketch: Bad. Just bad.moreless