NBC Cancels Sean Saves the World

By Tim Surette

Jan 29, 2014

The prophecy is true! On the same day that some extremely handsome, all-knowing being predicted that Sean Saves the World would be canceled, Sean Saves the World was canceled. According to multiple reports, NBC has stopped production the sitcom, effective immediately. 

NBC originally ordered 13 episodes of the Sean Hayes comedy, then boosted the order by five for a total of 18. Twelve of those episodes have already aired, and two more of them have been filmed; according to The Hollywood Reporter, NBC will hold those two episodes and burn them off at a later date, probably well after the country's eyes are off the network's coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics. That means Sean Saves the World will also be leaving the schedule immediately. 

Okay, so predicting Sean Saves the World would be canceled was about as easy as predicting that Sean Saves the World would be terrible. But it's a move that came sooner than I expected; because NBC has such a strong working relationship with Hayes (who produces Hollywood Game Night and was also a producer on Smash), I figured the network would at least let the series finish out its run, which wasn't even a complete season to begin with. But Hayes himself is probably even more surprised as I am, given that he once said his show was the funniest sitcom on television.

• Comments (75)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • chalidon1881 Mar 15, 2014

You people and NBC are crazy;that show was funny. Boooo.

• BabeRuth Jan 30, 2014

One less gay show. Should not have gone after Duck Dynasty.

• JamieHaxby Jan 30, 2014

One less NBC Comedy? Good. Gives more hope for Six Seasons and a Movie! Go Community!

• BKiddo626 Jan 29, 2014

"On the same day that some extremely handsome, all-knowing being predicted that Sean Saves the World would be canceled, Sean Saves the World was canceled."

Hahaha! Enjoy this victory, Tim, you deserve it. XD

• Dirk13 Jan 29, 2014

This is one of my least favorite part of them "aborting" shows this way. It's like for a short while they pretend it's still alive, trodding out it's corpse for those last few episodes and being exuberant about it even though it has been long since cancelled forever. I dunno, seems sad to me. Who wants to watch that?

• Svanehjerte Jan 29, 2014

Good riddance, but you better be wrong about Revolution!

I also hope Super Fun Night will be safe for another season.

• txgirl75 Jan 29, 2014

Not surprised. That show and the Michael J Fox show was in my dead pool. Michal J Fox is still going.

• BrokenArrow1119 Jan 29, 2014

Two shows in my Dead Pool have died. Somehow DADS is still on

• BillTheCat005 Jan 29, 2014

Good riddance to bad tv.

• glenguti Jan 29, 2014

Even though the show wasn't that good and the ratings were bad, NBC really doesn't have much else and Sean Hayes has a little bit of pull at NBC. They could've at least let the remaining 6 episodes air. I do hope that Thomas Lennon gets cast on a better show next season. He was the lone bright spot on that show.

• See More Comments (36)