The Invitations

Episode Reviews (3)

Great

Hi-larious!

By thefanof, Dec 03, 2009

Seinfeld's season 7 finale marked the end of two eras on Seinfeld. The first being it was Larry David's last year as a writer for Seinfeld, and two it was Susan's last appearance on the show.

It was clear after Season 7 that the show was done. The last two seasons were as funny as the show we'd loved for years, but the storylines were pretty weak and sometimes borderline outrageous.

This episode was nothing short of superb though. The episode actually had a Curb Your Enthusiasm like feel as it was pretty much a George-centric installment, and his behavior seemed more Larry David-esque than usual.

Kramer's performance also stood out as great as well. From his rants on marriage, to his behavior at the bank, this was Cosmo at his best.moreless

SEINFELD At Its Darkest (and Funniest)

By kahchoo, Aug 09, 2006

Few sitcoms have tried to mine humor from subjects like death, sickness and physical handicaps, but SEINFELD managed to find comic gold in the most unlikely places. What other show would dare use a woman in a wheelchair for a sight gag and somehow manage to make an audience laugh instead of being offended? "The Invitations" brilliantly caps what is perhaps the show's greatest season. In retrospect, everyone should have seen the final gag coming a mile away. After all, how else could George possibly (and plausibly) escape his wedding? It's obvious but so ruthless that I don't think it ever registered as a possibility. I remember watching it for the first time and when I saw Susan getting sicker and sicker, my jaw literally fell open. I couldn't believe Larry David would go there, but he did and his decision was as audacious as it was absolutely and hilariously right. Putting aside the macabre denouement, one also has to applaud everything leading up to it: Jerry's engagement to "himself", Kramer's attempt to bilk 100 bucks out of a bank, and (especially) George's last-ditch attempts to sabotage the engagement (that smoking bit makes me laugh out loud every time). The episode perfectly completes the story arc set up in "The Engagement" and would've made for a perfect series finale. I'm glad it wasn't the last show, but this one stands as final testament to both Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David's combined genius.moreless