The Pie

Episode Reviews (7)

Great

"Poppy's a little sloppy"....

By uk6strings, Oct 23, 2012

.... "The Pie" is a very funny episode and one of the best episodes of Season 5. The title storyline comes from Jerry and his girlfriend, whose father, Poppy, owns a restaurant. After Jerry's girlfriend inexplicably rejects his offer to try a piece of apple pie, Jerry is put in a similar position when Poppy doesn't wash his hands after visiting the bathroom before hand-making Jerry's pizza. The moment where Jerry and Poppy are in the bathroom together is one of the best moments of the entire series.

Kramer's story, revolving around an itch he can't scratch until he dates a woman with really long fingernails, only works because of Michael Richards whose physical comedic abilities are unparalleled. Meanwhile, George fights with another man to get his hands on a nifty suit for half the price, only to have his victory backfire.

However, the best aspect of this episode is the storyline revolving around a mannequin that looks exactly like Elaine. The Elaine mannequin is the center piece to the whole episode - with Kramer, Jerry and especially George hilariously crossing paths with it. Imagine her surprise and dissatisfaction with such a thing - and you wouldn't guess who is behind the whole thing.moreless

By Canogaparkcindy, May 12, 2011

Hilarious of episode of Seinfeld tonight. I never watched this upon original airing, but now I'm kind of wishing I did. This episode really defined the show for what it is: "A show about nothing." Elaine has a mannequin that looks like her, George wants to buy a suit for a job interview, and Jerry's girlfriend rejects his pie.

The story lines sound completely far-fetched but with Seinfeld, it actually works. We got a great tie in that involved Poppy and not washing his hands, which is why George rejects the pie as well.

Julia Lois-Dreyfuss really outdid herself here. Clearly one of her best performances here. The mannequin and Kramer making out in the car seemed a little too ridiculous but all in all, this was a great episode of Seinfeld.moreless

The Pie.

By colten97, Apr 01, 2011

It seems like all the stories are intertwining by the end of "The Pie," but really, they stay completely separate, linked instead by a common trope: in Jerry and George's case, their furious shaking of the head when being offered food, and in Kramer and Elaine's case, their fascination with the mannequin. So while, plot-wise, it's not quite as masterful as Seinfeld's best, it's still a hell of lot of fun, particularly if you like jokes about Jerry's obsession with cleanliness like I do.

Like a lot of Seinfeld episodes, "The Pie" never answers the central mystery of why Jerry's girlfriend of the week Audrey won't eat the apple pie at Monk's. She likes pie, she wasn't full, and she even walks around with donuts in her purse. So why does she just flatly refuse to take the pie? Apparently this was inspired by something that actually happened to Jerry and got him really mad, and he's almost quietly intense in that first scene. I kept willing Audrey to just eat the pie, because Jerry's obviously just so freaked out that she isn't. Instead of inventing a convoluted reason why Audrey doesn't eat the pie, Seinfeld looks at why Jerry or George might refuse food, which I think is the right move, because those are the characters they and we know much better, and Audrey's reasons would be rooted more in circumstance and would be a lot less funny.

For Jerry, it's obviously his general germophobia. Now, that's not to say most of us wouldn't be grossed out at the sight of the chef at a restaurant exiting a bathroom stall and not washing his hands as he goes to prepare food. But honestly? I bet in that situation I would have just rationalized it somehow: Maybe he washes his hands in the kitchen! Maybe the pizza getting cooked makes the whole thing pointless, right? But Jerry, on a date with Audrey to her father's restaurant, is never going to be anything but horrified by the sight of chef Poppie kneading pizza dough with his unwashed hands. As he tells George later, "At least pretend, for my benefit; turn the water on; do something!" "Yeah, like I do," George says, prompting an even more pained look from Jerry that is just utterly priceless.

So, in George's case, why does he reject the food, on a job interview where he's been told to be a 'team player,' no less? Well, the immediate answer is that the food has been poisoned or sabotaged in some way, but the real answer is because George is an awful guy who can't just be happy with a little victory. The B-plot of George trying to get a suit for half off in a secret sale is fun, and watching him revel in victory, newspaper in hand, is always good. But like George gloating over getting Time magazine before the serial killer in "The Airport," we know a comeuppance is coming, and that it'll be juicy. It's almost harder to watch George refuse the cake than it would be to watch him eat it and throw up or what have you. I got close to saying, "Christ, just eat the cake already!" and Seinfeld rarely provokes that kind of a reaction from me.

Elaine's creepy mannequin is the perfect kind of Seinfeld B-plot, in that while the A-plot concentrates on such a minute detail of manners, the B-plot is self-consciously wacky, with the imperious store clerk, the bizarre tableau of the mannequin being spanked by another, Kramer's sexual use of the mannequin to break up with his long-nailed fling, and finally, the revelation that Sam Lloyd from "The Cigar Store Indian" created the doll in Elaine's image. The whole thing is just the right amount of madcap, and yet it's integrated very well with the other plot so it doesn't feel like we're just jumping, jarringly, from world to world.

Oh and Kramer's C-plot of his back itching is a nice marriage of the two concepts. On the one hand, it's got to be the most mundane plot idea ever: Kramer has a scratchy pillow with no case at home, and it makes his back itch. On the other hand, with Michael Richards delivering these lines and jerking around spastically at the Monk's hostess scratching him with her long nails, the whole thing is even zanier than Elaine stealing a mannequin that looks like her from a clothing store. At the end, when he fondles Elaine's mannequin to scare off the Monk's hostess, you feel like the writers just needed a punchline to close the episode, and that sight gag made the most sense, even though the scenario makes so little sense. But Richards, unsurprisingly, makes that work.moreless

Pie is good.

By cactusjack39, Feb 18, 2009

I think that I liked this episode better than other episodes. There was plenty to like as I thought that everyone had their own highlights. Jerry was funny with the pie girl. George was hilarious with the suit, and Elaine was really funny with the dummy that looked like her. The thing that creeped me out was how close it looked like her. Kramer was also good with his story of itching. My favorite aspect was when George made an enemy. He managed to stay away from the prank that was intended for him with tainted pie. Everyone else ate it and got sick. Thank you.moreless

The Pie

By poinsecurra, Aug 08, 2008

Jerry dates Poppie's daughter and she won't try a pie he's eating. He gets consumed with trying to find out why she won't try his pie and it leads to some of his best moments in the series. They go to her father's restaurant to eat (Poppie) and Jerry sees him not wash his hands after using the bathroom. Meanwhile, George plots to buy a heftily reduced priced suit from a department store and out duels a man who later makes his life very interesting. He needs the suit for a job and runs into some trouble when he notices the suit swishes whenever he walks. Seinfeld finds a way to craft another classic episode out of the ridiculous (not trying a pie) and the mundane (buying a suit).moreless

The mannequin that looks like Elaine...

By OnePerCentClub, Sep 07, 2007

Good episode. Kramer gets a new girlfriend only because

his back is itchy and his girlfriend had long nails. And when the itching stops he doesn´t know how to get rid of her! So he asks Elaine´s mannequin for help!!!

Jerry... He´s so strange. But well, what was done to him

first, he does it later.

Elaine is excellent. Her obssession for knowing who made

that weird mannequin goes out of control. And no one seems

to care less. George takes advantage at a sales and gets what he wants,

but just when he is getting the job he´s wanted so bad, karma comes and he´s jobless again.

LGmoreless