The Pony Remark

Episode Reviews (11)

Great

It works on so many levels!

By ilex91, Jun 24, 2010

I think this was one of the earliest truly brilliant Seinfeld episodes. I actually thought the context in which Jerry made the pony remark seemed a little staged, but what followed was hilarious, with Jerry trying to defend himself, then agonising over whether he killed her, and whether he was obliged to attend the funeral. Barney Martin, playing the recast role of Morty Seinfeld, was brilliant, and would continue to be throughout the series, a much better choice then the original actor. His suggestion of catching a military transport flight home was so typical. I thought one of the funniest parts though was Kramers intention of installing levels in his apartment, and the ensuing argument over what the bet was for. And I also enjoyed George wondering how he was ever have the chance to have sex again, oblivious to the totally unrelated conversation that was occuring.moreless

I had a pony!

By thefanof, Dec 03, 2009

One of the most genius episodes of Seinfeld ever. So well done and such an accurate portrayal of how painful family get togethers can be and how one comment can be interrupted the wrong way and lead to chaos. This was possibly Morty's best episode in series history. From, "You have any idea what this funeral's gonna end up costing me? Oh, boy." to the base in Sarasota, to everything else, just an epic performance by one of the best supporting characters in sitcom history.

If you did not enjoy this episode, you probably are simply not a fan of good television.moreless

Just a wonderful classic foot in mouth moment, with the staging well thought out from the small chair of Elaine’s as the shrinking violet to Manya sitting at the head of the table. And back peddling banter was so funny.

By roseponder, Aug 17, 2009

I have been there insert foot in mouth. This episode brings back those times when all you wanted to do was hide from the embarrassment and then trying to back peddle is classic. And putting Elaine in a small chair was great it just added to the whole feeling of the moment. And lets not forget Jerry just adding to the whole situation. Over the years I have seen Rozsi Freedman or(Rozsika Halmos as her stage name) play a number of characters, but this one as Manya was very menorable for me. She pasted away a number of years ago and being able to see her every now and then brings a smile to me face. She was my Great Aunt and it is nice to see she can still bring join and laughter to peoples hearts.moreless

One of my most favorite early episodes.

By DarthMcKellar, Dec 13, 2008

The Pony Remark is one of my most favorite early episodes of all-time. You could really say that this was the episode that really won me over to the show and really got me to start paying more attention to the show. The thing about this episode is it's got some really great dialogue in it and the plot is really funny. This episode, unlike later installments really just has one plot and sticks to just one story. Although, it can be argued that the whole situation with George and Jerry and the softball game is a separate issue. I consider it linked with the original plot of Jerry thinking he killed Manya.moreless

One of the few early episodes to really put across the greatness that was Seinfeld.

By oceanic6, Mar 10, 2008

Following a slow season 1 but an exhilirating start to Season 2, The Pony Remark sees the first classic episode of Seinfeld and a must - see for fans.

Jerry's parents are staying over so they can attend a dinner with one their European relatives named Manya but when Jerry and Elaine start a conversation that ends with Jerry saying "I hate anyone that ever had a pony when they were growing up." Manya then angrily states that she had a pony and storms out; the next day she dies but Jerry can't help but feel that it's his fault so he cancels his long - awaited softball game to attend the funeral.

As you can see the plot is very orginal on paper but the acting out of it is even better but is evenly balanced with Jerry's hilarious monologues and the gang's conversations on "nothing" which makes this the first truly funny episode of Seinfeld.

A lot of this episode deals with the introduction and development of characters; such as Jerry's Uncle Leo (Len Lesser) who makes his debut here and while he grown into one of the most memorable recurring characters on the show i felt he was a little muted in this. Jerry's Dad Morty (Barney Martin) also makes his first appearence as Jerry's Dad in an earlier episode was played by Phillip Bruns; the change in casting was a blessing as Martin is just more natural in the role of Morty and his chemistry with Liz Sheridan as Jerry's Mom is a lot more convincing.

Elaine is given probably the most screen time in this episode than any episode before this one to somehow develop her character but the storyline of her enquiring about the deceased's apartment is just too brief to be memorable with her not having one effective punchline to utter and Elaine proves that she's too weak a character to hold up an episode at this point. George and Kramer are given not much more than cameo roles in The Pony Remark but they light up in the time they're given. Kramer's insane plan about removing all his furniture and building "levels" is a great diversion. George isn't given a storyline in this episode but rather pnly two memorable scenes the first one not until about halfway through the episode. But both of them involve the gang engaging in a humourous discussion which shows that George is funny in any length.

The performances are from the main 4 are solid except when Jerry is meant to be remorseful where he shows a huge lack of range and the older castmembers nail their roles.

The episode ends on the most amusingly ironic line spoken since the end of "Of mice and men" and it caps off an excellent and overall classic episode of Seinfeld.moreless

Who figures an immigrant's gonna have a pony?

By amazingwebhead, Feb 01, 2008

Great episode, full of great laughs and a very memorable plotline, but I wouldn't say I'm as impressed as most Seinfeld fans appear to be with it. I actually preferred the opening episode of season two, and felt it had much more laughs and interesting character development in it. Nevertheless, 'The Pony Remark' is a fine effort itself and is certainly one of the best I've seen thus far (8 episodes in to Seinfeld).

My main problem with the episode comes from the distinct lack of George, a character who I grew to love during the very first episode. Instead Larry and Jerry decide to focus this one on Elaine, hoping to maybe flesh out her character a little more. Unfortunately it still hasn't worked for me. I still don't get Elaine; don't know who she is as a character and don't really find her funny. This episode was a good chance to fix that, but ultimately it fails to do so.

Even Uncle Leo who is first introduced here, I feel I know more than Elaine. Maybe Elaine is more of subtle character than the rest featured so far, and I'm sure I'll grow to love her soon enough- but for now, her focus in this episode in place of George kind of ruined the episode in terms of laughs. Furthermore, I have the same problem with Jerry's parents, they seem like they have identity's here but it's still not clear at this point. So I had a real problem enjoying their scenes, at least until Jerry arrives to strengthen things up.

Kramer's brief involvement is humorous with Richards giving yet another amazing performance, which is always wonderful to watch. My favourite scene however comes from inside the Diner where Jerry, George and Elaine are eating whilst discussing George's sex life (briefly), the nature of spirits' travelling habits and Jerry's guilt over his relative's death. I think it's the way the dialogue is written in combination with the everyday-casual nature of the cast's tone that brings out the real comedy in this scene. Everything about it works, and it's a joy to watch, really helping to solidify the episode.

In addition to this I enjoyed the various stand-up scenes (as I always do) and thought the main plot involving the funeral being on the same day as Jerry's baseball final was pretty clever and evenly paced out. Overall, a great episode for sure, but perhaps missing the mark on some jokes here and there and failed to convince me of Elaine's character, again. Nevertheless I did get to know the rest of the characters a little bit more, so the characterisation on the whole, was good.moreless

Classic Seinfeld

By Jimmay1, Jun 06, 2007

I really have nothing bad to say except that Kramer didn't really do anything outragious as I remember. I have friends who don't like this show, if I wanted them to start watching Seinfeld, I would show them this episode (and probably The Contest). The way they made the game entwine in the storyline was halarious. I don't think they could have do a story on this subject any better than they did. Elaine and Jerry talking about the peas at the party was halarious, and how Elaine was at the smaller table. hahaha.

"I had a pony!" Its gold.moreless

Jerry goes to "Manya"'s house for dinner. At the dinner table, Elaine innocently brings up the topic of ponies. Later at the table, Jerry says: "I hate anyone who every had a pony when they were growing up." To this, Manya responds: "I had a pony!" Manya

By SeinFreak, May 28, 2006

I think that this was a great episode. It wasn't my favourite, and I think that some of the episodes were much, much funnier, but I still love watching it. Just like all of the other episodes (Except for Good News, Bad News), The Pony Remark has a brilliant and hilarious storyline. The writers at the studio are GENIUSES! This is the second episode in which Elaine is shown, and this time you really get to know her. This is also the first time that Geoffery, Jerry's cousin who works for the Parks Department, is mentioned. And as Elaine says during dinner:

"Phenomenal"!moreless

Jerry and Elaine inadvertantely blab out that they didnt like anyone who had a pony at an eldery lady's house. BUT--SHE HAD A PONY!!! They try to clear the faux pas up, but she dies before they can.

By KBGUY09, Feb 10, 2006

This episode was hilarous! Another episode with Jerry's parents... and they are one of my favorite recurring cast members! This episode was so funny, as you didn't know what was goanna happen next and you also had no clue to how it was going to be solved.

"Who figures an immigratant's goanna have a pony?"

That line, which Jerry repeats throughout the episode is also funny ;)

I also love at the end how the game is posponed, you think everything is goanna work out OK, but then Jerry gets kicked off the team! It turns out that episode turned out no good for anyone!

Good job to the writers and actors on this one :Dmoreless

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard!

By thebestoftv, Nov 06, 2005

This has to be one of the greatest Seinfeld episodes of all time. While all episodes are funny, I was actually rolling on the floor laughing at this one, as sad as it may be. This episode is on the 1st/2nd season DVD set and HIGHLY recommend that you pick it up today and watch it, since it is rarely on FOX.

Load More Reviews