The Race

Episode Reviews (5)

Superb

A wonderfully zany episode of the King (or Rabbi) of Sitcoms; Seinfeld.

By oceanic6, Apr 03, 2011

In this Christmas episode; Jerry's girlfriend Lois's Boss Duncan is challenging Jerry to a race for the one Jerry (unfairly) beat him in back in High School. Elaine's communist boyfriend who loves Hop Sing chinese food is furious when Elaine gets both of them blacklisted from there. George answers a personal ad from "The Daily Worker" which leads his boss to believe that he's a communist and Kramer gets his umpteenth odd job as a department store Santa along with his pint - sized pal Mickey.

This is a fine example of how the once paper - thin, weak Seinfeld plots in the early seasons have transformed into wacky but hilarious storylines with equally great sub - plots. Jerry's takes centre stage but having the accident - prone Kramer play a department store Santa sounds good on paper but is even better when it's executed. Elaine's story is more of a device to include funny jabs at communism and George the same but with the ever dysfunctional Yankees.

The jokes come thick and fast in this episode and as Jerry's girlfriend in this episode is named Lois you can imagine the Superman references and the final race at the end between Duncan and Jerry with the cheesy Superman theme music in the background is hilarious.

This probably has the most guest stars of all episodes (apart from the finale of course) which include:

Todd Kimsey (Ned)

Renée Props (Lois)

Don McManus (Duncan)

Vicki Lewis (Ada)

Claude Earl Jones (Mr. Bevilaqua)

Mark Christopher Lawrence (Boss)

Michael Sorich (Castro)

Denise Poirier (Arlene)

Spencer Klein (Kid)

Martin Chow (Lew) The guest stars all do credible jobs except for Martin Chow as the delivery guy Lew who squeezes in so much of the angry asian shtick that gets old fast.

This is a Christmas episode but the dark nature of the show eliminates all the tired Christmas clichés (having the episode end on the gang seen laughing through a window while snow gently falls outside or having the four of them sit at a Christmas feast with Jerry proposing a toast saying "I love you guys", *shudder*) from occuring. For furthur proof of the shows darkness is that we find ourselves rooting for a guy who cheated on a race while the guy who knew that he cheated and just wants a rematch is painted as the bad guy, only on Seinfeld.

This is episode is yet another reason why Seinfeld is the best TV show of all time.moreless

"I choose not to run!"

By poinsecurra, Apr 03, 2011

A classic episode from start to finish. Jerry dates a girl named Lois and runs into a former high school rival. We also see Elaine dating a communist and Kramer volunteering as a department store Santa.

It has many classic moments, the big race at the end is my favorite, the Superman music kicking up and the celebrating, including Jerry knocking Elaine out of the way. I love this episode. Jerry's comment to George in the coffee shop (you really went bald there) is classic.

"The Race" is the best episode of the sixth season. I almost forgot to mention Jerry's references to Lois as if he were Superman. Great.moreless

Reindeer Name Correction

By nightshade55, Apr 10, 2007

As Kramer and Mickey are leaving Jerry's apartment, Cosmo is pretending he is Santa by calling out the reindeer names.

Mickey corrects him by saying "It's not Donna. It's DonNER."

Well, actually you two, it's DONDER. That is the correct name for that reindeer. Don't worry Mickey, I thought the same thing up until a few years ago.

As Kramer and Mickey are leaving Jerry's apartment, Cosmo is pretending he is Santa by calling out the reindeer names.

Mickey corrects him by saying "It's not Donna. It's DonNER."

Well, actually you two, it's DONDER. That is the correct name for that reindeer. Don't worry Mickey, I thought themoreless

More cleverness from the mind of Larry David.

By rkenzie, Aug 06, 2005

Interesting point in this episode. The restaurant that Ned says his father was blacklisted for is Hop Sings. That is the restaurant that Archie and Edith go to in All in the Family. Ironically the waiter in the All in the Family episode, is the Maitre D' from the Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld! My guess is this was no accident.