Watch ABC's New Comedy Selfie Before Its Official Debut (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Aug 19, 2014

Last week, NBC released the pilot of its new comedy A to Z ahead of the show's official fall premiere, and ABC must've felt left out, because the network has decided to follow suit by posting its new comedy Selfie online more than a month before the series' September 30 premiere.

A modern retelling of My Fair Lady, Selfie hails from Suburgatory creator Emily Kapnek and stars Doctor Who's Karen Gillan as Eliza, a vapid American (yes, American!) woman who's obsessed with social media and how many likes she can get. After becoming the subject of an embarrassing viral video, Eliza hires a marketing master played by Sleepy Hollow's John Cho to help her repair her image. 

Watch the pilot below and then head on down to the comments to discuss what you liked and disliked about Selfie's first episode.

Now be honest: What did you think of Gillan's American accent? And will you watch Selfie this fall?

Selfie premieres Tuesday, September 30 at 8pm on ABC. 

• Comments (32)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Badforthefish Sep 30, 2014

I found it quite funny in a harmless sort of way. It's got a Legally Blonde guilty pleasure vibe to it. And the good thing about being foreign is that you don't really pick up on the accent variations.

• Hutchy_TVSeries Sep 26, 2014

You know what... this was actually funny here and there. However, it got not potential. Dropped and it not even started.

• pa-tan Sep 22, 2014

Damn I like Karen Gillan and John Cho together but damn it is an awful show but I'll give it a shot mostly cause I want it so bad to make a 360° turn

• VanBao0 Sep 02, 2014

I like both John Cho and Karen Gillan but that was just awful. Not funny at all! I don't see this lasting more than two episodes.

• PElf Aug 31, 2014

I love John Cho and Karen Gillan, together they have a nice chemistry. Just for the two lead actors I will give it a try and the rest of the cast seems interesting too. I like the concept about a "My fair lady" set in the modern age. It has the potential to be a nice new tv-series or fall and never see the possibility of a second season.

• AkiraHideyo Aug 29, 2014

Hmm. It was like OMG! LOL.WTF?....BLAH BLAH BLAH!

It has slight potential but the script needs to be believable. It's too EASY! Why would a senior exec like John Cho suddenly take an interest to help this bimbo outcast like he just found a rescue dog on the pavement? Also their "instant" bond makes NO sense. If it had been more spaced out and John Cho did it out of a wager or something, it might have had been more realistic. I dunno. The current vibes says it's OMG-CX (Cancelled) !

• crawford47 Aug 23, 2014

No I will not watch this fall or anytime ever again.

• RebeccaVeight Aug 21, 2014

I thought the first mins on the plane were unbearable too, but as soon as John Cho & supporting cast started contributing it got a lot better. I like the idea of My Fair Lady in the social network age. And the rain app was of course a nod to "The rain in Spain..." Will watch for now & hope for the best

• current Aug 20, 2014

So you have what exactly, a self-entitled vapid bitch turning into the nice girl next door?
    David Harewood must be desperate to stay Stateside.
    I doubt Gillan can physically hold that much fluid but then I sure felt like expelling after seeing the first few minutes of this faeces. At least she isn't doing the croaky NYC college girl accent with unfinished words.

• DrFondoo Aug 20, 2014

It's one of those shows where the supporting characters make the show. There wasn't a single supporting character I didn't like, David Harewood was great, John Cho was great, that guy with the beard... It was just Kare Gillan's character, of which I am certain I was meant to not like at the start.

Being English, and my extent of an American accent being me walking around and now and then going 'Merica!", I thought Karen's accent was quite good.

• See More Comments (15)