Shameless's Official Season 4 Trailer: Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy (VIDEO)

By Patrick Sullivan

Jan 04, 2014

As you start to plan your midseason TV schedule, don't sleep on Shameless. Your favorite TV family of 2013 will soon return for a fourth season, and they'll be scattered all over Chicago. Lip has finally entered the college years, Ian ran away, Debbie wants to run away, and Fiona is back to focusing on her love life, with her boss Mike hopefully replacing Jimmy/Steve in our hearts (assuming, of course, that you're happy the show dumped the Jimmy/Steve storyline in Lake Michigan, as I am).

Despite all that, Showtime's newest trailer is trying hard to sell us on the Gallaghers' newfound financial success: Fiona is making enough money at Worldwide Cup to afford school lunches, and Carl *might* not end up a serial killer. There's always a lurking danger, though. The suddenly clean-shaven Frank may finally be thinking about changing his life for the better after Fiona's impassioned speech in the Season 3 finale (which earned spot number 69 in our Top 100 Everything of 2013) challenged him to stay alive, but with Fiona and the Gallagher clan headed boldly toward a lower-middle class lifestyle, can Frank resist the temptation to bring his family crashing back down below the poverty line? We're thinking it might just be another long winter in Chicago.

• Comments (54)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • eaudra1 Jan 05, 2014

Shameless US is pretty good for a remake, but for me the the best are the Original first 2 seasons of the UK series

• CharmedOneP391 Jan 05, 2014

Shameless is the shit and this is gonna be a long awaiting week

• scholtemarco Jan 05, 2014

super underrated, super happy it's back.

• MarlboroMagpi Jan 04, 2014

One thing I never understood was why is Joan Cusack (which btw is doing her best roles in years) listed as guest star in all the seasons. She clearly is one of the main leads especially last 2 seasons.

• DilinaPathirage Jan 05, 2014

iirc she had geographical issues travelling to the set. They wanted to make her a proper full cast member but she couldn't put in the time.

• Whedonrules Jan 05, 2014

Does she only work when they shoot in Chicago?

• DilinaPathirage Jan 05, 2014

Might be. I think it was on here that someone explained that she had to fly in from somewhere for her scenes, so they had to limit her role. I can't remember the full details.

I think its just something film actors of a certain stature can have producers do. They get listed in credits as 'Special Guest Star'. She's been nominated and lost the Guest Star Actress Emmy, both categories, every year she's played 'Sheila'. The only actor nominated in this phenomenal cast. Its going to be interesting seeing Sheila on her own. I loved the episode 'The Helpful Gallaghers' where Debbie was taking care of a teetering off the edge Sheila after Karen returned and gave up Heime. That was an excellent Mike O'Malley written episode. Its going to be interesting seeing Sheila on her own now that Jodie, who was kind of awesome in Season 3, Zach McGowan, is going to be a pirate on Starz and Warner Bros kept Karen, Laura Slade Wiggins in the company and made her one of the 'Tomorrow People'. Hopefully her business : ) is still keeping the ladies in the neighborhood happy.

• DirgeNovak Jan 04, 2014

I always found this weird too. It's probably a way to highlight her presence (kind of like the big stars listed last in the opening credits with "and" before their name, but calling her a "special guest star" is just strange.

My favorite is season 3. This is one show that can bring laughter and tears all in one episode. It will be interesting to see how the shows can combine so many characters if they are really all living apart. It would also be fun to see Fiona finally free of all her family committments and be free !

• Sanity_Bleeds Jan 04, 2014

I think season 2 was still my favorite. While I enjoyed season 1, it didn't take many departures from the UK's season 1, and while season 3 was fantastic and funny, it was often very sad and heartbreaking at the same time. Here's looking forward to all the laughs and tears season 4 has to offer us!

• rnycmpbll Jan 04, 2014

my only complaint is that there is no ian other than that, i can't wait

• Taccado Jan 04, 2014

They way Jimmy/Steve met his end was both sad and very powerful. Sad because we as an audience didn't get to see how he died, what his last words were and how he felt about it. Usually one always gets to see that on TV, but Jimmy just faded away, and Fiona tried to call him but never got to say her goodbyes.

On the other hand, that precisely made his death stand out from so many other TV deaths. Jimmy tried to correct his ways, but always made wrong choices and pissed off the wrong people. Then finally when he actually decided to clean up his act and finish his degree, his past caught up with him and he had to pay for his mistakes. When he walked down the dock to the boat in the final episode was one of the saddest moments of the whole 2013 TV season.

I agree, you don't find two actors that just seem to complement one another as well as Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum do that often - they had it from their first scene. Its going to be missed. I still think Estefania's father needs him more alive than dead. I wonder if we've seen the last of Beto though?

Word is that he might returned as a guest star sometimes in the future. I hope he will.

• DirgeNovak Jan 04, 2014

I sure hope not. Not that he wasn't a good character, but I feel like him coming back would just be a retread of season 2, when Fiona had moved on and he tried to win her back.

• Taccado Jan 04, 2014

Oh, really? I was under the impression that the people behind the show had decided that it was actually the end for the character of Steve/Jimmy. Huh. I don't know how to fell about him returning. Maybe it's better for the character to either be completely gone (dead or otherwise disappeared), or return fully. But have him drop in just as a guest star feels like unnecessarily stirring the pot.

Do you remember where you have read that? Is it recent information, or was it announced at the end of season three?

• MarlboroMagpi Jan 05, 2014

Might means he might not come back at all so we don't know yet.

• Ian281099 Jan 04, 2014

Debbie has a girlfriend? Oh this season is going to be great.

• Locknah_201 Jan 04, 2014

Seasons 1 and 2 were only barely kept me entertained. There were a lot of creative dips. I'm glad I kept watching though because season 3 was brilliant. The chaos of it was so enthralling. I suppose my only complaint with it was that certain story arcs could have gone on for longer.

Can't wait for season 4!

• See More Comments (12)