News Briefs: BBC Confirms Sherlock Season 4

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jul 03, 2014

STATING THE OBVIOUS 

... The BBC has confirmed what we all knew was happening anyway: Sherlock will return for Season 4! But alongside that jolly good news that isn't actually news because the cast and creators have been talking about it for a while now, is the news that there will also be a new Sherlock special! The special will begin shooting in January 2015 with filming on the three new episodes of Season 4 to begin later next year. The only question remaining is, how much, if at all, will Moriarty play into this new special? [BBC

BUSINESS TIME

... If you don't like the new costume worn by Peter Capaldi's Doctor in Season 8 of Doctor Who, blame David Bowie. Apparently, the new outfit was based on the cover of Bowie's Station to Station album cover. I guess we should all be glad he didn't go for Bowie in Labyrinth. [Radio Times]

... Remember when the U.S. lost to Belgium in the World Cup yesterday? Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you've moved on from pretending to care about soccer. Well, it totally happened. And 16.5 million people watched it happen. Where were you guys when Trophy Wife needed you? [Variety]

... The cast of Blossom reunited 19 years after the series went off the air, mostly just to make the rest of us go, "STFU, I am not that old." [ET Online]

... Some idiot college student spent $3,250 to hang out with Robin Wright on the set of House of Cards. Dude, don't you know how much ramen you could buy with that money? Don't you know how many Bud Lights that is? Fine, the money will benefit the the ACLU of Southern California, but maybe you could send some of that money my way so I can graduate from SpaghettiOs? [The Washington Post]

CASTING NEWS

... Justified's Walton Goggins will reprise his role as transgendered prostitute Venus Van Dame in Sons of Anarchy's final season this fall. Introduced in Season 5, she returned for a longer arc in Season 6 which fleshed out her backstory. Never one to complain about more Goggins in my life, I do have to wonder how Venus will play in to Season 7 and whether or not her reappearance will turn out to be another case of Kurt Sutter trying to do too much. I think I speak for at least some of you when I say we don't need another season of 90 minute episodes. [Kurt Sutter's Twitter]

... You can tell it's July because there's new casting every day for fall shows. Karl Yune (Real Steel) has signed on to recur in Season 3 of Arrow as Maseo Yamashiro, Oliver's new handler in flashbacks. He's also the husband of Devon Aoki's Tatsu Yamashiro (DC heroine Katana). [TV Line]

... Carol Kane has joined the cast of Fox's Gotham. She'll play the recurring role of Gertrud Kapelput, the mother of Oswald Cobblepot aka the Penguin. Now feels like a good time to link to this scene from Scrooged. [TV Line]

PITY PARTY, TABLE OF ONE

... In a new interview, Katherine Heigl said that she believes her career betrayed her while openly acknowledging that she might have made too many romantic comedies. I'd say that talking trash about Grey's Anatomy, the series that made you a star, probably also didn't help, girl. [US Weekly]

OTHER RECENT LINKS YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Tim picked his 10 favorite British comedies to celebrate the fact we kicked their butts in the War for Independence. 

... This is not a joke! Jennifer Love Hewitt has joined the cast of Criminal Minds

... Aria wore a stupid hat on Pretty Little Liars, and probably some other stuff happened too. Check out Nick's review to be sure, though.

... Cory checked in on Tyrant for Episode 2, and it wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either.

... Netflix released the first trailer for The Killing Season 4. Spoiler alert: It rains!

... FXX is still trying to make it happen, this time with a new comedy starring Jay Baruchel.

• Comments (24)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ianmartin315080 Nov 02, 2014

Great news. Sherlock was the best thing on TV for YEARS!

• tryptz Jul 03, 2014

Its getting harder and harder to get excited about the return of Sherlock! I mean you watch 3 or 4 episodes and then wait like 12-13 moths or longer for the next episode. And the last season wasnt all that!

• BobJones1525 Feb 21, 2015

Agreed... and I still can't find a specific date for the upcoming season!!!

• MarlboroMagpi Jul 03, 2014

Katherine Heigl has a new series coming that looks a lot like Homeland (or at least trying to be)

• Taccado Jul 03, 2014

Yay for Sherlock! Yay for quality TV!

• osdawaya16 Jul 03, 2014

I would gladly take a season of 90 minute episodes, please.

• JT_Kirk Jul 03, 2014

How the funking funk does one do a special single episode to preview a season that's only 3 episodes long?

I'll continue to blame Moffat for that costume choice, but Labyrinth would have been tame compared to Aladdin Sane or Ziggy Stardust.

You think Blossom turning 19 is bad? CMT celebrated The Dukes of Hazzard turning 35 this week, that made me feel positively ancient.

Goddamn Walton Goggins got some tig ol' bitties.

How the fuck does someone's career betray them? YOU ARE THE ONE RUNNING YOUR CAREER, DIPSHIT, TAKE SOME GODDAMN CONTROL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT! Maybe next time you won't trade on your looks just enough to get past your acting limitations, and instead concentrate harder on craft.

• bluemorphotat Jul 04, 2014

You say that you " feel positively ancient" mate, but it sounds like what you say is what makes you sound like a grandpa... you do sound like my pops... minus the swearing.

• ludoTV Jul 03, 2014

I know people often question that Sherlock's seasons are just 3 eps but the eps are pretty long. If they split them in 40 minute chunks, it could be a 6 to 9 eps season. Not sure if it'd be better but in minute count, it really is a mini-series not that far from say Rectify / Penny Dreadful and co. Still, yeah, a preview is kind of silly...

Totally agree with you whining about your career doesn't make Heigl look great... I'd have more respect if she just said 'mistakes were made' or maybe even better like you say, concentrate on working

• JT_Kirk Jul 03, 2014

Each Sherlock season is 3 episodes of 88 minutes per episode, in the US that would translate to 6 episodes-worth per season, in the UK for the BBC I think that only translates to 4.5 episodes per season compared to a normal "hour-long" drama show if we're talking pure minutes per season.

• Muderboy Jul 04, 2014

Thanks for pointing that out, JT. What, have you been watching to much soccer with that ball made out of a foot? Well, if you have, that woud certainly explain it. Oh, and Katherine Heigl really cracks me up. Sombody said she got an Emmy once, and I've seen her in Grey's Anatomy. She's not even close to the best one on there. And now I hears she's going to show ABC a thing or two about acting. Oh puh-leeeze! She stinks.

• vicbjones Jul 03, 2014

There weren't two- to three-year gaps between seasons of Columbo in the '70s, and there were more than three episodes a season. Sherlock apparently operates on a model I would not want to see U.S. TV adopt.

• vicbjones Jul 03, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• thekaitling Jul 03, 2014

How the funking funk does one do a special single episode to preview a season that's only 3 episodes long?

LOLOLOL

It's definitely weird. I guess it could be a Christmas special, but they're filming it in January. It's possible they'll hold it for Christmas 2015, which would have the season debuting in 2016, which would hold to the two years between seasons pattern they have going. But WhoTF knows, really? Just call it a four-episode season and be done with it.

• DesertWolf Jul 03, 2014

Great news, the best Sherlock TV show I ever seen :)

• hockeyrick Jul 03, 2014

Sutter can do whatever he deems necessary, SOA is one of the coolest shows on TV yet gets no love from critics or anyone, except maybe katy!

Let it go and enjoy the last season!!!!! Shame on you guys at the Emmy's!

• thekaitling Jul 03, 2014

I love SOA. Many critics praised it during its earlier seasons (especially Season 2, which is still the best the show has ever been). But since the show really took off, Sutter has been trying to top himself year after year, which is fine, I still enjoy the show as a fan, but it doesn't always hold up under critical eye.

There were many parts of Season 6 that I enjoyed, but the extra long episodes were not one of those parts. I think FX could stand to tell him no a bit more than they do, but when you're the network's highest-rated series, what are they gonna do? All that said, I'm still looking forward to Season 7.

• WavSlave Jul 03, 2014

You do indeed speak for me when you call for a return to (~) 60-minute SoA episodes.

Venus' appearances should only be to insert a little levity into the show. No way does s/he need to have a heavy plot built around her/him. (Herm? Hir? Modern times are tricky.)

• WavSlave Jul 03, 2014

Hmm, that parenthetical dash was originally a tilde to indicate approximation but the site apparently didn't like that. That's a new one. At least I already know better than to ever try using the greater-than and less-than symbols here anymore.

• safibwana Jul 03, 2014

It's a tilde. Maybe there is something wrong with your browser fonts. Let's try some things:
    ~ tilde
    - dash
    & lt
    & gt
    & not an html tag

• JT_Kirk Jul 03, 2014

The bug is with Google's "Open Sans" font at size 13 px, the one this site uses, as well as all fonts under 10 px, but works at 14px and up as well as 12 and 11px.

• WavSlave Jul 03, 2014

In order, long dash, short dash, three ampersands. Go figure.

• WavSlave Jul 14, 2014

Replying to above: Thanks, Cap'n Farnsworth. Nice knowledge. (Really.) One would think that such a known problem would've been addressed by now. But meh, I glaze over when it comes to font issues. My computer interests and strengths lie elsewhere. I suppose I could probably impose my font will globally but it's not a big enough deal to override the designers' aesthetic intent everywhere.

Replying to below: Actually, no. FF on a PC. My anti-Apple stance, admittedly no longer tenable today, goes back decades and those old biases die hard.

My sanity, however, is still in doubt. ;-)

• safibwana Jul 03, 2014

well, i can confirm the three ampersands. everything looks right before leaving the page and now that i'm back its ampersands (the last line really should have been a symbol before the words and a symbol after the words) so you're not insane.

The tilde as long dash is odd. I'm gonna guess you're on a mac with the Safari browser.