Twilight

Episode Reviews (6)

Superb

I love this show! If the finale is anything like the last few episodes, we won't be disappointed.

By stewie1423, Oct 27, 2011

Another amazing episode of Six Feet Under. Lisa being missing and how it effecting everyone, continues to be extremely engrossing. Just watching Nate is quite nerve wracking, it is still so sad to see this happen to him. I liked how he kept thinking of how she was killed, how she vanished, just made me think more. Him sleeping with the girl who's dad was executed was ... at first, I thought it was one of the things he imagines but no .. at least we know why.

Claire's abortion was again, very believable, I liked how she and Brenda bonded over it, got to talk about Lisa and about Brenda's feelings for Nate. It's about time David stood up to Keith (Without having sex with him after - season 2!) This will hopefully open Keith's eyes to what he is doing and how he can fix it.

Now, the Ruth/George relationship, yes it was fast, but it still looks real. It shows it very well, how they get on, bond, have things in common. George telling Ruth about each of his wives was a great scene, I just feel happy for Ruth.

So we have one episode left and to be honest, I can't wait! Season 3 has been just brilliant, more than I expected.moreless

By PabloExobar, Oct 27, 2011

Good episode, but as a below reviewer said I'm a bit disappointed that the show doesn't even try to deal with death anymore.

However of course the character drama aspect is still good but, the atmosphere that the dealing with dead gave us is greatly missed by me. Apart from this one minor issue I had with the episode is how sudden certain things were. For example Ruth and James Cromwell's character already sleeping together and having fun? It was weird.

Also, Claire's storyline could've been more dramatic if the writers let the whole abortion plot develop a little more. But nonetheless it was still good, especially with Brenda helping her.

Nate is getting more and more depressed as minutes go by as Lisa is still missing. I'm not sure where this will lead to, hopefully it will be revealed in the finale what happenedt o her. Loved Nate's dreams and visions about her. David finally breaks up with KEith, about time. I'm disappointed in Keith, and David is speaking the truth. Keith is just so.... depressing.

Overall, great episode.moreless

is it me or does this show not linger around the subject of death anymore?

By fallenepitaph, Jul 06, 2006

Cos you know,thats been like this for most of the season. we watched the lives of these very interesting characters and it was sure fun.They are all so familiar but so unique and everything.but i kinda missed nate talking to the dead people,which he doesnt do since the surgery i guess.i miss the show working its way around some disturbing sentence about death,loss,mortality,but lately they seem to forget or abandon these things.

Lisa getting lost is a single,but big return to their original intentions i guess.and since i always felt it coming, i never lost hope about six feet under,and it is finished now,i havent watched seasons 4 and 5 but they all tell that they were great.i'll soon watch them,and i am nearly sure that the show will go as my all time favourite.

the most original scene of the week was claire asking brenda for a ride.just two sentences,totally showed who they both are,their relationship,the way they look at life and, i dont know,sex?Breeding?whatever.it made my day.moreless

Not Here, Not Gone

Written by Craig Wright

Directed by Kathy Bates

By shawnlunn2002, Nov 29, 2005

Well, given my teaser, it is true - darkness has well and truly fallen and this week's death is the execution of a serial killer, whose despicable acts included making one woman eat broken glass, and his daughter (clearly psychologically damaged) fails in her attempt to de-vilify her father as does father Jack, making me side with Federico over the value of human life. While all life is precious, does a man as despicable as Carl Desmond Willoman really deserve to live? I hate to pass judgement, but to quote Federico, "He cashed in on his value of human life a long time ago. Crunch em, don't make more".

Speaking of human life, Claire also decides to terminate one as she enlists Brenda's assistance into getting an abortion. Now, this is where "Twilight" really steps into grey area as the episode's depiction on the still controversial topic is well on the nose. Given the way this particular plot thread is handled by all concerned, the view on abortion is neither a condemnation or validation and as interesting as this concept is, it is one that may not sit well with all viewers. The episode's title, which refers to the anaesthetic that Claire opts for is also an ingenius way of describing the behaviour of the characters all season.

Ruth - At the start of Season Three, she seemed completely aimless and almost too desperate to resume the role of matriarch, until Bettina came along and took her out of her shell. Sadly, after Bettina left, Ruth almost retreated into said shell and her attempts of getting close to Arthur blew up in her face. Now that George is well and truly on the scene, it's suddenly like new life has been infused into her. Here with George we see a more sexual and suggestive side ("Get the cordless. I'll help you keep it charged") to her than we ever did with Hiram and Nikolai. And after burying her head in the sand last episode, it's relieving to have her face up to the fact that Lisa may be dead.

But let's concentrate on her relationship with George, as it's moving at such a rapid pace that after only a few weeks of knowing each other, both are willing to marry the other, despite six ex-wives and Ruth's initial confusion. At least someone in a current relationship is happy as ...

David, finally having enough of Keith's temper and constant pointing of his faults dumps him. But it takes a lot to force David to do it.The scene with Father Jack, in which the latter tells him to focus on the life he's got, not the one he desires is a misnomer as at first you're convinced he's trying to tell David to work things out with Keith, but now I think it was the opposite and more than Federico and Patrick's contributions to David's relationship woes. Was Federico being homophobic when he made that remark? God, no. The thing is, things between David and Keith have been so bad for so long, that if you were in a situation similar to theirs, wouldn't you walk out? I don't want David and Keith to pernamently split, but at the moment the two need as much distance from the other as possible as therapy has proved unsucessful for them. And then there's David sleeping with Patrick (who totally loved that), which i'm sure will be addressed at some point, but it feels rather insignificant to the heartbreaking scenes between David and Keith.

Angelica is still continuing to be a wonderful foil for Federico as she plays on his fears of Vanessa by insisting he needs to treat her better. Federico may have a tendency to overeact, but he's not a bad husband - he just needs to listen to Vanessa. And while on-screen, it looks like he's ignoring every discouraging thing that Angelica is spewing from her mouth at warp speed, you can't help but wonder whether it's eating away in the inside. After all, Federico is a devout family man and i'd wager that anyone who would challenge his "loyalty" is more likely to hurt Federico that way than a more smackdown. So is Angelica trying to split the pair up?

Now let's move on to Nate, who when he isn't imagining the worst possible scenarios for Lisa(ranging from her having an affair and deserting him to being murdered by Carl). That's two episodes with Lili Taylor relegated to fantasy sequences, so as far as i'm concerned, Lisa's dead. And when he's not doing that, he's sleeping with Allison (death of the week's daughter) and being as much as a jerk to her as possible. This I can almost handle and expected as Allison is a rather pathetic character.

But what I can't handle is Nate's increasing ill treat of Brenda. In fact, Nate is an absolute asshole towards her. Yes, he feels guilty about kissing her, given the current Lisa situation, but his unyielding attitude towards, especially when all she wanted to do was just help was totally unneccesary. Whe he tells Claire that things between him and her are complicated,it just feels like another excuse to not forgive her for last season. Yes, she screwed other blokes, but what's done is done and Nate should be past it at this stage.

And then there's his fantasy sequence at the beach with Lisa, in which he finally admits to what viewers have suspected all season. And her response in which she tells Nate that she's not a chance, but a person really drives home a lot of discomfort as the episode draws to it's stunning close.

Also in "Twilight"

Death of the week: Carl Desmond was given a lethal injection by the state of Texas.

David (to Keith):"See this is the difference between you and me, Keith. I want you on my side, I need you on side and it's the one thing I never ever have".

Claire:"So what are you guys doing tommorow?"

Nate/David:"Same old shit".

The episode's title isn't the only metaphor for what the character's state of minds have been this year. Note Allison's tattoos which show people getting shredded to pieces and coming out the otherside "repaired" at the end. A hint for the finale, perhaps?

Federico (to Arthur):"He cashed in the value of human life a long time ago. Crunch em, don't make more".

Claire:"Do you think you could give me a ride? I have go get an abortion"

Brenda:"Oh sure".

Nate (to Allison):"Oh fuck me, fuck me, fuck me, fuck me. You don't get to cry!"

Allison also went to the same church David and Keith go to.

George's story about finding a stream underneath his old house in Massachutus as an allegory to describe his feelings for Ruth was beautiful. In fact, their happiness in light of everyone else's pain is enough to well you up.

As for George's ex-wives, here's the lowdown...

Susie : Married too young.

Gloria : He cheated on her with ...

Tanya : She cheated on him.

Andrea : Died. No explaination given.

Cheryl : Only lasted nine moths. Complete mystery and ...

Torres : Died. Again no expaination.

Nate:"Things between me and Brenda, it's a little more complicated than you think"

Claire:"Yeah i'm sure I could never imagine".

Angelica (to Federico):"But you gotta treat my sister better or else she'll leave you like I left that motherfucking Anthony".

Chronology, it's only four days since "Death Works Overtime".

Lisa:"Nate, i'm not a chance, i'm a person".

Standout music this week was that jaw dropping score as well as Azure Ray's "Rise" (Claire hanging up on Russell) and Weekend Player's "Angel" (Claire/Brenda convo).

Both Russell and Vanessa appear, but neither has any dialogue. And Margaret and Billy have gone on their annual AWOL. No chance of them appearing next episode, then?

Overall, "Twilight" is a bloody masterpiece. It's riveting, nailbiting material from start to finish, with each and every single actor pulling in their best performances yet. This is clearly the highlight of the series so far and why it didn't scoop the Emmy for Best Writing will remain a complete mystery. Both Craig Wright (note his use of water again, like in "Timing And Space") and Kathy Bates should be proud of themselves. This is a well above exceptional tour de force. I dare anyone not be engrossed by this episode. I don't know how Six Feet Under will top this, but i'm sure they will. Stunning.moreless

Lost in the Shadows

Carl Desmond Williman

1948-2003

Written by Craig Wright

Directed by Kathy Bates

By DFisher2005, Sep 24, 2005

"I'm not a chance Nate, I'm a person"--Lisa

In some ways this episode really got to me probably being one of the most emotional hours of the series that really had a lot going on in it. "Twilight" is the probably one of the most well written pieces of the series and the way it is set out is so haunting and enjoyable to watch that you really have to think. "Are the Fishers an actual family?" They really seem to me at least to be a real portrayal of what a family would be like in the aftermath of someone's departure.

Nate still eagerly awaits Lisa's call or return home but it seems less and less likely that she is really coming home. Nate then starts having hallucinations of possible scenarios directly pointed towards Lisa. One being Lisa left Nate and was feeling sorry for leaving Maya behind. Another Lisa meeting the death of the week who was a serial killer. And a third, Lisa walking into the beach and never turning back. Since Brenda knows that Nate is going through a difficult time she tries to make him feel better by being a friend to him but Nate pushes her away. After having a calm conversation with the deceased's daughter Nate finds a spark between the two and the following evening make love. The next day after the funeral, Nate tells her that there really is no spark and that she has to leave. Later in the middle of the night, Nate hears someone in the bathroom which he opens to find the ocean where Lisa is peacefully watching. Nate tries to yell to her but she can't hear him. Nate then yells her name which brings us to him in the regular bathroom loudly sobbing.

Claire is very much alone in this episode. For one, she really doesn't have anyone to talk to about her pregnancy and really wants to keep it quiet so she feels the only thing she can do to keep the secret quiet is to have an abortion. At the clinic interview, the nurse asks if she has a ride which Claire responds "that no one would want to". After witnessing Nate fight with Brenda, Claire asks if she can drive her to the abortion clinic which Brenda happily says yes. While going under "twilight" an anesthetic she sees her mother and Russell who tell her they will take care of her. It's too late since Claire succesfully has the abortion and goes home with Brenda where they talk about Lisa's disappearance and Brenda's feelings about Nate. The next morning Claire tells Nate not to give up on Brenda, she's just concerned.

David is really getting sick of his relationship with Keith. David finally tells Keith the truth about how he is feeling soon after he sleeps with Patrick from chorus. David returns the next evening where he breaks up with Keith and moves out. Keith begs him not to leave but David has made up his mind.

Finally, Ruth is really having the time of her life with George Sibley. Her relationship with George is really escape out of the grim reality of Lisa's fate. When she tells David of her relationship over tea, she slips to him that she might be ready to marry again. David advises her to make sure she is comfortable which Ruth tells him she wants to know what it feels like again. George then tells Ruth he's been married prior. A record of six times: two of whom died and four divorced. Ruth asks if they can slow down the marriage plans which George gladly agrees. The two cuddle in bed as George tells her about his past.

Other important events in "Twilight"...

*Death of the week: A serial killer is executed in Texas by lethal injection. One of the more disturbing deaths of the series.

*Federico receives a warning from Angelica to be careful with Vanessa because she will leave if she is not being treated to her satisfaction.

*George has an apartment in this episode yet after this episode aired the apartment is never seen after.

*Emotional parts of the episode: Ruth and David's very tender scene in the kitchen, Claire's pre-abortion scene, Nate crying at the end and Nate's fantasies about Lisa.

*Arthur had only one scene in the episode where he argues of capital punishment with Rico. Since he and Ruth are not a pair anymore it makes sense he is more seen in the workplace then in the residence.

"Twilight" really prepares us for a great season ender and is a very thrilling and emotional hour. Kudos to writer Craig Wright and Kathy Bates for delivering a "on the edge of my seat" hour of television.moreless